NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2017, 08:07 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Default A question for you all........

I dont post much on these boards as I try and soak up all the knowledge you all have in regards to pre-war cards but I certainly check the boards everyday and have done so for ten years. I have been collecting since I was 8 years old and am now 53 so I am no newbie to the card collecting world but pre-war is an area I never dabbled in because, well I just didnt have the knowledge. I have never treated my collection as an investment as I have only collected what I liked but I have had the good fortune to make some money in this hobby over the years due to having a good amount of knowledge but I must now ask this question to the pre-war experts.

In a few weeks I have about 500 bucks to play with and I thought I would invest it into some pre-war cards. In the effort to carry over the theme of "collect what you like" I feel I want to spend this money on some hall of famers that are either T cards or even perhaps some Goudeys. I would prefer graded but would certainly consider raw. My question to you experts is what would you sink your 500 bucks into? One lower grade T206 HOFer but nice eye appeal or a collection of Goudey's HOFers that are low to mid grade. Or perhaps something else.

I would love to hear what you all would do with this small some of money in order to open the door to pre-war collecting for someone who has never ventured there and perhaps somewhere down the line there might be a return on investment.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Scott Russell

You can get several T206 HOF'ers in about PSA 3 for $500.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

I would just find a card you like. I wouldn't think of a card at the $500 level as a great investment opportunity. But popular HOFers from popular sets seem to do the best over time. Maybe something like a t206 Matty, Johnson, or young would be a good pre war card for 500 bucks that could appreciate and would be cool to own.

If $500 is more than you'd normally spend on a card and this is some kind of bonus money you're getting I'm more a fan of getting one big card than several small ones. You can buy smaller value cards any time.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 10-19-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Ben North

With an extra $500 I would pick up a low grade 1910 T210 Series 3 Walter Morris. It is the only horizontal card in the set. Plus every card in the set is as rare or rarer than the T206 Wagner.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I think the biggest bang for your buck could be a really nice T202. For $500 you could get a very nice mid-grade card with one or two HoFers including WaJo, Matty, Speaker, Cy, etc. They are incredibly pleasing to look at, you’d have a nice grade, and I personally believe they are undervalued presently.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

While I realize I'm in the minority when I say this, I will proceed anyway:

Card Game issues are an affordable way to purchase high-grade cards of even the biggest stars for relatively low prices.

Five hundred dollars won't last long even with these issues, but they are visually pleasing and may increase in value in the future.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I would just find a card you like. I wouldn't think of a card at the $500 level as a great investment opportunity. But popular HOFers from popular sets seem to do the best over time. Maybe something like a t206 Matty, Johnson, or young would be a good pre war card for 500 bucks that could appreciate and would be cool to own.

If $500 is more than you'd normally spend on a card and this is some kind of bonus money you're getting I'm more a fan of getting one big card than several small ones. You can buy smaller value cards any time.
I would second this. Unless you can find more money and get a low grade, nice eye appeal t206 Cobb, I would go for one of the 3 big pitchers from t206. Walter Johnson would be my preference.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As someone who is doing a t205 set some midgrade
Hall of farmers from that set is an option.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:41 PM

For $500 you can do a lot of things, so why not take a philosophical look. What do you like? It's OK if you don't know why. Do you just want to pick up a few HOFers and be done with it, or do you have a goal of building a set someday?

If you think you might want to go back and build a set someday, consider what set you might be able to attain, and buy some HOFers from that set. Then you can go back and pick up commons from that set at a later time with smaller amounts.

If you don't have any interest in building a set, think about picking up a selection of HOFers from your favorite team across eras or sets, whatever that may be.

I can say I'd spend $500 the same way I'd spend any other amount of money; the question is just what quantity and condition I'd target.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Luke Lyon

I'm biased towards T206s for a few reasons. One that might be good for you is T206s are so liquid. If $500 is more than you'd normally spend, it might be nice to know you could recoup most or all of that money very quickly if you need to.

If you like the idea of getting just one really nice card, I'd go for a nice looking lower grade T206 Mathewson portrait or Walter Johnson Hands at Chest. Or if you want to spread it out a bit, you could get 2 or 3 cards and include some underappreciated HOFers like Sam Crawford.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

You can probably get two nice M101-4/5 blank back HOFers in SGC40-60. You can’t get the big names, but you can get players like Eddie Collins or Chief Bender. The cards are photographic so you can see what the players actually looked like, not artist depictions.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:00 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Thank you to everyone for the ideas. As someone who has collected for many years but never collected prewar I feel like a total newbie despite being a show promoter, card shop owner and collector over the past 40+ years.

There are so many options but I just have to decide what I want. I do have to say that the prospects of owning a Matty, or Cobb no matter what the grade are incredibly intriguing especially for someone who loves the history of the game like I do. I think I have decided to go after some of the greats of the game in an whatever issue I can afford and not worry about the monetary investment because after all, that is what we are supposed to do with a hobby isnt it?

I love the T206's and saw a Matty on the BST that I have some interest in. I saw a Crawford and a few others I need to consider as well. The suggestion for the Triple Folders was a great one as I have found I do like those cards and can get one or two players for the price of one in some instances. Leon, I have always loved the artistic beauty of the t205's. I have never really even considered the M101's but they do look pretty good.

I have some decisions to make and it looks like this is actually breathing some new life into a hobby that I was starting to get a bit bored with. Collecting a whole new era of cards that are actually affordable is getting me excited to jump back into the collecting ring. Thank you for all the great thoughts everyone and I will certainly keep this thread updated with what I find. I have no doubt I will overpay for some of the cards I will be buying but who hasnt done that right?
Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As someone who is doing a t205 set some midgrade
Hall of farmers from that set is an option.
Leon, how many mid-grade T205 Hall of farmers do you think one could obtain for $500?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Leon, how many mid-grade T205 Hall of farmers do you think one could obtain for $500?
A quick search on the bay of T205 HOF makes me think you can get 7-8 nice looking HOF'ers for $500....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...05+hof&_sop=15

Old 10-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Bill Panagopulos

Tech stocks.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

If I had an extra $500, I would look for a nice Turkey Red.
I think you could find a decent PSA 4 for about that money.
Best looking set ever in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:06 PM

Default step up to EX 5...

Perhaps consider a Hornsby, Foxx, Lefty Grove or Carl Hubbell. You could get a playing career 1930's of these quality HOF'ers in solid presentable PSA 5 grade. Maybe a Diamond Stars, Batter-Up or '33/'34 Goudey.