NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 PM
dabigyankeeman dabigyankeeman is offline
Arnie
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: florida, used to be New York
Posts: 469
Default

While pride of ownership is fantastic, particularly once you build up a really good collection (or even own 1 or 2 cards you totally love), the most fun is the thrill of the hunt, the looking for new things to acquire.

For me, being older and having a wife with bad cancer, i worried about the future financially and stopped buying for about 6 - 8 months, and wow, even with my great collection i was missing on so much enjoyment it was killing me. I had to just a month ago find cards to collect that could be less expensive to get but be fun to search thru Ebay and other places to find the ones i really wanted (and at a low price) and since i have been doing that collecting is fun again!!!!

Nothing like the thrill of the hunt, particularly if its a little effort to find what you want!!!!!!
__________________
Its so great to love all the New York teams in all sports, particularly the YANKEES.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
wvu_class_of_2001's Avatar
wvu_class_of_2001 wvu_class_of_2001 is offline
Kin K.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 220
Default

I'm curious at what age this starts. I'm 38 now and it's starting to turn that way for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
For cards, it's “The older you get, the less you want/need”.
__________________
Collecting open-wheel/Indianapolis 500 related racing (attempting the T36 Auto Drivers set), T206 (all Scoops Carey & Woodie Thornton), 1955 All-American football and WVU related.

My card blog: I Feel Like a Collector Again

My Collector Focus page.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets & sebie43; ROAKs received from CW & LuckyLarry
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 PM
wvu_class_of_2001's Avatar
wvu_class_of_2001 wvu_class_of_2001 is offline
Kin K.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 220
Default

Nothing but the best wishes for your wife and yourself, Arnie


Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
While pride of ownership is fantastic, particularly once you build up a really good collection (or even own 1 or 2 cards you totally love), the most fun is the thrill of the hunt, the looking for new things to acquire.

For me, being older and having a wife with bad cancer, i worried about the future financially and stopped buying for about 6 - 8 months, and wow, even with my great collection i was missing on so much enjoyment it was killing me. I had to just a month ago find cards to collect that could be less expensive to get but be fun to search thru Ebay and other places to find the ones i really wanted (and at a low price) and since i have been doing that collecting is fun again!!!!

Nothing like the thrill of the hunt, particularly if its a little effort to find what you want!!!!!!
__________________
Collecting open-wheel/Indianapolis 500 related racing (attempting the T36 Auto Drivers set), T206 (all Scoops Carey & Woodie Thornton), 1955 All-American football and WVU related.

My card blog: I Feel Like a Collector Again

My Collector Focus page.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets & sebie43; ROAKs received from CW & LuckyLarry
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Klrdds Klrdds is offline
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: GA
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
I'm curious at what age this starts. I'm 38 now and it's starting to turn that way for me.
My desire started to diminish at age 56 after 50 years of collecting baseball cards all the way from Old Judge to 2016 Topps and all cards in between ,game worn uniforms and jerseys , and autographs ( pictures, contracts , checks, 3x5s, letters, single signed and team signed baseballs, bats, etc) and other baseball memorabilia. My philosophy for 30 years was if I wanted it I bought it . I reached a point when I decided to not collect anymore for a variety of reasons , but it was as if each phase of my collecting had a different reason for me to stop. Every collector that I am good friends with has told me that you reach a point when you stop ; it can be for a different reason for each person but everyone does stop eventually. Now I buy but it must be something special , but yes the hunt is still the most fun aspect of collecting for me .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM
obcbobd obcbobd is offline
Bob Donaldson
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arlington, MA
Posts: 616
Default

The hunt!
__________________
My wantlist http://www.oldbaseball.com/wantlists/bdonaldson.htm
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 6,095
Default

Both. But I'm at the point where thinning the herd makes sense. If I don't look at something for a long time I should probably sell it. I've switched to type collecting and HOF collecting. I'm also more drawn to the cards of the 1970s which were my childhood cards. I love the chase but also enjoy sitting down with my binders and looking at my cards. The thing I like least is having to go to the bank to see my 'good' cards.
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
I believe that the immaturity, social deficits and emotional deficiencies that unite us are so much greater than the political gulf that divides us.
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 AM
dabigyankeeman dabigyankeeman is offline
Arnie
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: florida, used to be New York
Posts: 469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
Nothing but the best wishes for your wife and yourself, Arnie
Thanks a bunch!!!! Things are rough but thats life. Bro-in-law is in hospice now, plus I have to see a specialist about something in 2 days, its like our whole family is falling apart at once. But card collecting must go on. Now I am collecting autographed cards of players on New York teams in all sports. I already had a ton of Yankees, now going after all the other teams. Its easy to find in-expensive ones on Ebay, and its fun. Thanks again bud, hey I see you collect vintage open wheel racing, i dont collect cards of that but i am a monstrous Formula 1 fan, can't wait for the new season to start already.
__________________
Its so great to love all the New York teams in all sports, particularly the YANKEES.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 03-15-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 PM
jerrys's Avatar
jerrys jerrys is offline
Je.rry Spillm@n
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sun City Center, Florida
Posts: 734
Default

I go with the 50/50.

Here are a couple of other Rucker cards.

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 23,813
Default

I have around 6 months to be 56.
With my first collection it was about acquiring a type card I needed, period. But I will never forget when I finally acquired 1 of 2-3 known Greiner Bread cards I had been wanting for years. I paid several thousand for it and when I got home I threw it aside like a '92 Donruss. I like "owning" a little bit but I like the hunt far more. This is always an interesting subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
My desire started to diminish at age 56 after 50 years of collecting baseball cards all the way from Old Judge to 2016 Topps and all cards in between ,game worn uniforms and jerseys , and autographs ( pictures, contracts , checks, 3x5s, letters, single signed and team signed baseballs, bats, etc) and other baseball memorabilia. My philosophy for 30 years was if I wanted it I bought it . I reached a point when I decided to not collect anymore for a variety of reasons , but it was as if each phase of my collecting had a different reason for me to stop. Every collector that I am good friends with has told me that you reach a point when you stop ; it can be for a different reason for each person but everyone does stop eventually. Now I buy but it must be something special , but yes the hunt is still the most fun aspect of collecting for me .
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:02 AM
rainier2004's Avatar
rainier2004 rainier2004 is offline
Steven
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spartan Country, MI
Posts: 1,756
Default

I switched over to displaying the majority of my collection a few years ago and now its all about ownership. The hunt is fun, the kill is better and opening the package is still like Christmas day. But my displays allow me to continually enjoy my collection and it gives me something to Tinker with and save money during slower times.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1934 Goudey Set come along for the journey kamikidEFFL Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 38 01-31-2015 03:45 PM
My T205 journey EvilKing00 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 4 04-04-2013 11:00 AM
"Cool" Vacation Destination Ease WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 2 02-24-2013 04:05 PM
My T206 journey....... curch Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 09-03-2010 02:19 AM
The end of my T206 journey Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 33 01-29-2008 03:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.


ebay GSB