NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default What to do with the shiny stuff

I'm donating 70,000+ Baseball, Basketball, Football & Hockey cards to my elementary school where I volunteer. Afterschool the class of First Graders that I volunteer for, are going to be selling 25 cards for a dollar to the students. They can make up to $2800 for their classroom.

That's what you do with the shiny stuff! California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump. Help your local school.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Scott Maxell

I'm a teacher and I appreciate you thinking of the schools. I buy a couple of boxes a year and give out the packs to the kids. Though I'm not big on modern cards, they love them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump.
Seriously?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Yep, gonna be major cuts. Layoffs, etc.

http://www.latimes.com/local/educati...htmlstory.html

Last edited by rdwyer; 03-18-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Sean Costello

Leaving politics aside, that's a great gesture.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Rocky Rockwell

I gave over 100,000 cards to the local Ronald McDonald house this last year..... remember that brothers and sisters as well as parents of sick children who stay there need distractions from the day to day medical stuff their family is going through..... so why not let em go through some cards and see what they can find? I purposely did NOT pull out stars and rookies, etc so they can have a little boost to their hunting and maybe some joy!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
That's what you do with the shiny stuff! California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump. Help your local school.
Funny how no matter how many times it's said to NOT talk politics here, you freakin' liberals always dive right in and take shots at Trump, after eight years of complete silence about Obama. Here's an idea. If the schools need money so badly, why don't you tell the teacher's unions to stop spending untold millions of dollars supporting liberal pieces of crap like Hillary Clinton and instead donate that money to the schools???

You see, Dwyer, if you're going to be douchey and try to shove your pathetic political crap down our throats, there are plenty of people like me who are here to tell you to go eff yourself!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Funny how no matter how many times it's said to NOT talk politics here, you freakin' liberals always dive right in and take shots at Trump, after eight years of complete silence about Obama. Here's an idea. If the schools need money so badly, why don't you tell the teacher's unions to stop spending untold millions of dollars supporting liberal pieces of crap like Hillary Clinton and instead donate that money to the schools???

You see, Dwyer, if you're going to be douchey and try to shove your pathetic political crap down our throats, there are plenty of people like me who are here to tell you to go eff yourself!!
+1
Old 03-19-2017, 06:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Infraction given for political talk. Keep it off the board.

Quote:
Yep, gonna be major cuts. Layoffs, etc.

http://www.latimes.com/local/educati...htmlstory.html
Old 03-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Love politics. I do something about it every day when I'm on the _______
...whatever I want
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Brendan Mullen

+2
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:

When you take advantage of those two guys with the million dollar collection that don't know crap, why don't you take those obscene profits and help out the soon to be destitute California schools?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
I'm donating 70,000+ Baseball, Basketball, Football & Hockey cards to my elementary school where I volunteer. Afterschool the class of First Graders that I volunteer for, are going to be selling 25 cards for a dollar to the students. They can make up to $2800 for their classroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite75 View Post
I'm a teacher and I appreciate you thinking of the schools. I buy a couple of boxes a year and give out the packs to the kids. Though I'm not big on modern cards, they love them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I gave over 100,000 cards to the local Ronald McDonald house this last year..... remember that brothers and sisters as well as parents of sick children who stay there need distractions from the day to day medical stuff their family is going through..... so why not let em go through some cards and see what they can find? I purposely did NOT pull out stars and rookies, etc so they can have a little boost to their hunting and maybe some joy!
Great deeds for kids and schools!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
When you take advantage of those two guys with the million dollar collection that don't know crap, why don't you take those obscene profits and help out the soon to be destitute California schools?
+1
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Damian Grammont

Quote:

+3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Tim

Default yepper...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
+1
+4

Last edited by tjb1952tjb; 03-21-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump.
Maybe California should raise taxes. Oh, never mind.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Kyle May

Quote:

Somewhat ignoring the unjustifiable shot at Trump, you really could take this a step further and place big government, California-style taxes on their $2800 profits. After all, this is a school where the goal is to educate our youth and prepare them for the realities of life, correct?

Quote:

I think we are at +5?

Leon, I'm sorry for furthering this discussion and advancing the political talk one post more, but I don't appreciate the shot at Trump. The OP could have just stated that they volunteer at a school and are going to donate their 70k+ cards to the class for them to sell after school as a fundraiser. It's a great gesture, and advances the growth of the hobby with the next generation. But he went the extra step and took a jab at Trump. There have been 8+ years of censored silence from the Right because it's not "Politically Correct" to talk politics in public settings, especially when it comes to the Right's viewpoints/opinions. I'm glad JollyElm spoke up and voiced his frustration. The teacher's union comment just barely scratches the surface of political frustration with the original post, and I will refrain from going into any more depth on the subject. Again, sorry for furthering the political discussion. Well said, Darren, and put me in the group of "people like you". I would support this thread being deleted and the original poster posting a new thread regarding his kind gesture, omitting his political stance.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 03-21-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 AM

I think this thread needs to be deleted or locked. I can read this kind of stuff on Facebook if I want. One of the reasons I came here was the ban on political stuff.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
I think this thread needs to be deleted or locked. I can read this kind of stuff on Facebook if I want. One of the reasons I came here was the ban on political stuff.
Oh don't worry, Rich. It ain't happening here.....at least for long.

Infraction given to Kyle for the same as the OP. This is a 1 infraction game, usually. Thanks to all for not talking politics. No matter what side you are on there are close to 50% that disagree. And to top off this last infraction, if anyone else wants to make political comments in this thread they will be suspended.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Mike Lenart

Leon - I'm also sorry about continuing this. The OP was wrong in citing Trump, but so was JollyElm in his rant. Everyone has different views they believe in and they should not be discussed on this board. I come here to get away from all of that stuff. Mike
Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
Leon - I'm also sorry about continuing this. The OP was wrong in citing Trump, but so was JollyElm in his rant. Everyone has different views they believe in and they should not be discussed on this board. I come here to get away from all of that stuff. Mike
No worries. Politics need to be discussed any place but here on this forum. And it's nothing personal. Just ask some friends, I like to rant and rave with the rest but no good can come of it here.