NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-01-2017, 11:30 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Here's a few of mine - all Burke/Brace

I could certainly use some help getting better digital images of the Alston, Bench, and Brock.
Derek,
Sweet grouping of images! I am especially fond of the minor league images of players who would go on to major league greatness. If by "getting better digital images" you mean finding a way to scan them at higher resolution than the images that were posted when you purchased them, please feel free to send me a PM for some suggestions.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:33 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Rookie
SUPERB shots of Joe and Ted, Ben, which goes without saying but I'm saying it anyway!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Mike Janes

horzverti & cats - thanks for those responses.

Thought had read he was not supposed to sell any of the negatives for one of the archives, probably misread something, but it would be interesting to know what the agreements allowed. This would be especially true in terms of the copyrights, since he violated the agreement, if he ever had them to begin with, etc. I did not know that some had been on the market from Brace/Burke before Rodgers took the archive, explains a lot really!

Conlon is mostly together still, Brace/Burke though, you're right, it's a shame they were not scanned properly and a catalog was made before being sold! Do not see a way it could ever be done either - unless those who own Burke/Brace prints/negs scan and fans create a central website to house them, kind of put them together backwards. Expensive and massive though.

Also see who outbid me on those auctions Forever_Young!!
Old 01-01-2017, 05:03 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejanesphotography View Post
Thought had read he was not supposed to sell any of the negatives for one of the archives
That may well have been the case with the Conlons. I know he had some sort of shared profit agreement with The Sporting News for the marketing of the Conlon images. That may have required him to keep the Conlon collection intact as well, but I just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejanesphotography View Post
Conlon is mostly together still, Brace/Burke though, you're right, it's a shame they were not scanned properly and a catalog was made before being sold! Do not see a way it could ever be done either - unless those who own Burke/Brace prints/negs scan and fans create a central website to house them, kind of put them together backwards. Expensive and massive though.
Even with fan/collector participation, such a project would never approach replicating the original archive. Even if one could contact every collector who has a portion of the archive, there are too many with the "1/1" attitude of wanting to be the only one who has a particular image that would not participate. The early negatives are also large enough that most desktop scanners cannot accommodate them, meaning the vast majority of collectors do not have a way of scanning the negatives, even if they are inclined to contribute to such a project.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post

Even with fan/collector participation, such a project would never approach replicating the original archive. Even if one could contact every collector who has a portion of the archive, there are too many with the "1/1" attitude of wanting to be the only one who has a particular image that would not participate. The early negatives are also large enough that most desktop scanners cannot accommodate them, meaning the vast majority of collectors do not have a way of scanning the negatives, even if they are inclined to contribute to such a project.
Maybe we should try anyway. Even if 1/10 were scanned, it would be great. I mean.. I will contribute my 6!

[i]"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." [/I]~Ansel Adams

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten
Old 01-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Mike Janes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
That may well have been the case with the Conlons. I know he had some sort of shared profit agreement with The Sporting News for the marketing of the Conlon images. That may have required him to keep the Conlon collection intact as well, but I just don't know.

Conlon - could be, never did see much of a follow up on the story to know more.

Brace/Burke - definitely, that's what would make it extremely expensive. Plus you couldn't just rely on negatives but would have to scan prints as well because those negatives may be lost in private collections or just gone (or 1/1 attitude). Guess that's kind of what the LOC did with the Bain collection, they have if it was scanned from the original negative or a print since some of the negatives ended up in collections. Even with a large amount of them scanned/restored and on a site, not sure what could do with it...except list who owns the original negative, or the print that it came from, if for sale, etc. Mary Brace probably still owns the copyrights to them all is my guess.

Last edited by mikejanesphotography; 01-02-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Andrew Aronstein

I'm currently working with an archive containing hundreds of original glass plate negatives from the 30's. You may have seen some of my posts about this but here's a sampling:

Typical neg from the archive. Leo Durocher, St. Louis Cardinals:

Professionally cleaned and restored image of Sam Leslie, NY Giants in our proposed postcard size:

Last edited by TCMA; 03-16-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Jackie Robinson 1945 original negatives

Jackie Robinson 1945 original negatives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38765631-e5d6-4697-b368-15b26f8b1c93_med.jpg (44.2 KB, 132 views)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by certainteed52 View Post
Jackie Robinson 1945 original negatives.
I've got a Type I photo with this same image...it's a classic shot! Nice one!

HOF Rookie Collection (Ideal): 225/317 (71.0%)
Helmar Stamps: 160/180 (88.9%)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things (including completing these two sets). Right now, I'm so far behind I will never die!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Phil P

Default Sandy Koufax Color Negative

Hello:
Can anyone tell me the value of a color Sandy Koufax negative from April 1962 at Wrigley Field.. Koufax had 18 strikeouts in this game ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87a.jpg (31.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 87.jpg (74.0 KB, 93 views)