NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Jeff

Default Need help early Philadelphia A's photo

Need help verifying early Philadelphia Athletics photo. After much investigation, I believe this to be a Type I Associated Press photo of Jimmie Foxx crossing home in the 2nd inning of game 1 from the 1930 World Series.

Here is my evidence
#1 - Philadelphia Athletics stated wearing the A on the uniform again in 1928 after abandoning it in 1920.
Looking at Dressed to the Nines. They used the A uniform with the thin stripped socks only 2 years and these were at home: 1929 & 1930.
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...ar&increment=9

#2 - The uniforms and socks. The linked photo pretty much asures me this is a 1930 WS photo. (Note the socks of both players on photo captioned "Jim Bottomley and Al Simmons, 1930 World Series"): https://www.baseballhistorycomesaliv...-carousel-8049

#3 - 6 games were played, 3 @ Philly, these were Games 1, 2 & 6
HP Umpires in Philly:
G1: George Moriarty
G2 & 6: Cy Rigler
Home plate umpire is almost certainly George Moriarty and not Cy Rigler. This would make it game #1

#4 - Players who scored runs for Philly in Game 1: Max Bishop, Mickey Cochrane, Al Simmons, Jimmie Foxx & Mule Haas. The 1931 photo of Foxx crossing the plate (see side-by-side comparison): https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...re-id493927566

Does anyone know of any video from this game? Has anyone seen this photo before? Does anyone see any flaws in my reasoning?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full800.jpg (56.2 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg closeup800.jpg (58.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg foxxcompare800.jpg (48.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg assocpress800.jpg (50.2 KB, 230 views)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:26 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Yep, I think you're right on. Half the fun with photos is the research .
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This is neither here nor there, but the player in your pic looks so frickin' skinny. We are used to seeing Jimmie Foxx as an older, gruff, stocky guy, so if that's him, it adds a cool new dimension to what we know.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 PM
Jeff

Default Foxx photo

I looked at the profiles of the others who scored in game one. Noone else coame close. The right side of the photo, where I have the side-by-side comparisons, is a verified image of Foxx. Here (the second photo) is a 1929 photo of him looking very much the same (at age 21). I think most people think of the older Foxx with the very short sleeve look, which Ted Kluszewski would adopt.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Todd Schultz

I don't doubt it shows Jimmie Foxx. The question I had was whether this could have come from Game 6, when he scored his only other run in a home game, also on a sac fly to right field. I am less familiar with the umpires' profiles, but figure it must be Moriarty because I read where Cy Rigler tipped the scales at 270 lbs., and the ump shown appears far less heavy than that.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 02-28-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:57 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

(Sorry in advance. I didn't examine all that has been said so far.)
The umpire could tell us other things as well. Do we know how Foxx scored each time in home games during that World Series? And who was on base, if anyone? Although not scientific, the ump is clearly looking towards the area of center or right/center field, so he could be watching as the ball is coming in or he may be watching the progress of a runner (maybe quickly glancing to his right after ensuring the player touched home plate??). If Foxx scored on a sac fly to right (as stated) with no one on base (for example), this shot could point to that. But since the umpire is clearly not focused on watching the runner score, I would have to imagine there is at least one other player on base. If 'Foxx' scored on a hit, it could point to the ump watching the batter or another runner. Again, not scientific, but it certainly could be helpful in eliminating some possible scenarios.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Jeff

Default 1930 World Series umpires

I should have provided a little more proof or justification on why I believe this to be George Moriarty and not Cy Rigler. They were both about the same age. As was pointed out, Cy was a bit on the heavy side. Almost all photos of him in this time show him will a definite double chin (no hate mail please) as seen in the left photo. The photo on the right is obviously a younger George, but look at how deep the eyes look, similar to that in the center photo.

But what I think did it for me are the ears. Cy's go high and almost curve forward. George's look to be a dead match, at least to me.

I am shocked by how little video there is out there on this series. So many of the greats, other than Foxx there were 9 other HOFers: Mickey Cochrane, Lefty Grove, Al Simmons, Jim Bottomley, Dizzy Dean, Frankie Frisch, Burleigh Grimes, Chick Hafey & Jesse Haines. Does anyone know of anywhere other than the few minutes on youtube, mainly game 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ump.jpg (47.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Brendan Mullen

I should have provided a little more proof or justification on why I believe this to be George Moriarty and not Cy Rigler.

Great research!

Tags
1930 world series, jimmie foxx, philadelphia athletics