NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Jonathan Weil
Jon.than We.il

Default Fake raw Hindu's on ebay?

The ink on the back looks purple. T206 Resource says Conroy fielding is a "probable no print" in a Hindu. Naturally this seller calls it a "one of only one." He has several raw Hindu's up for auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-1909-Wh..._qi=RTM2247625
Old 08-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Not a good thing when the pristine white paper shows on the tears and creases the seller added after the paper was artificially aged...

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

No question about it. Fake (eric sh@rp)
Old 08-20-2016, 10:55 PM

Looked at cards again and rethought my opinion.

David

Last edited by ctownboy; 08-20-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default 5 bids right now

Some folks just taking a shot ..
Old 08-21-2016, 12:15 AM
Rob

The seller is also offering the "only Known" T213-1 Molesworth. Here's the one I have. The one he is listing looks like a cropped SGC scan, presumably of the only one graded by SGC which is part of "Stumpy's" registry set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t213-1south2mole.jpg (28.1 KB, 683 views)
File Type: jpg t213-1south2bmole.jpg (24.2 KB, 685 views)
Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 AM
N
Banned

Merkle doesn't look impossible. I'm gonna go for it.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Merkle doesn't look impossible. I'm gonna go for it.
Be happy the seller pulled these for likely being reported.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Not a good thing when the pristine white paper shows on the tears and creases the seller added after the paper was artificially aged...
NJ, that Merkle Hindu does exist; I own one. But that card was fake. Among other things, the tears in the card were made recently. The card was probably "aged" with the use of coffee or something similar to make it appear discolored. It was then bent and torn afterward, which is why the tear has such a bright white look. If it happened over time, the card would have the same discolored look where the tear happened.

By the way, I've seen multiple Merkle Hindus. The background color always appears more orange than red, probably due to some printing error. It seems to have affected many Hindu cards: they seem to come out with the same orange tint. We had a thread about them a couple years ago. If I find it, I'll PM you.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 AM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Be happy the seller pulled these for likely being reported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
NJ, that Merkle Hindu does exist; I own one. But that card was fake. Among other things, the tears in the card were made recently. The card was probably "aged" with the use of coffee or something similar to make it appear discolored. It was then bent and torn afterward, which is why the tear has such a bright white look. If it happened over time, the card would have the same discolored look where the tear happened.

By the way, I've seen multiple Merkle Hindus. The background color always appears more orange than red, probably due to some printing error. It seems to have affected many Hindu cards: they seem to come out with the same orange tint. We had a thread about them a couple years ago. If I find it, I'll PM you.
Thank you gentlemen. After taking a closer look, the tears do appear to be too intentional and look whiter than teeth. I appreciate the guidance - saved myself a couple ten bucks!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Rob

I wonder what you would get in the mail if you bought this? An empty box I would guess.
www.ebay.com/itm/232047399979
Old 08-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Rob

I obviously need glasses. Last night I thought I could see an sgc holder in the pics, but tonight it looks like a card on black construction paper. I don't think they made type 1 reprints on thin paper, so you would at least be able to tell if it were real in hand. It would be a nice find if real. I'm off to Eyemasters to get glasses tomorrow. Rob
Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I wonder what you would get in the mail if you bought this? An empty box I would guess.
www.ebay.com/itm/232047399979
Except for the granular looks of the scan, the Type 1 is hard to see that it isn't good?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Bry@n

I think the T206s are bad and the T213 is good.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:03 PM
pete ullman

i bid on the t213 then saw this thread and retracted my bid...it does look fake.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Rob

I'm going to ask the seller a question thru ebay and see what he says. His feed back is mostly buying from Kit Young cards etc..He has 3 sales..2 T205's which look a little washed out and an m104/5 that does not look good to me.
It's odd to me that he seems to have the Molesworth priced correctly without knowing exactly what he has...Rob
Old 08-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Luke Lyon

Keep in mind also that the Hindus were all picked by whoever created them to be very low pop or non-existent cards. They also knew to use players from the 150 series. Whoever made them knows t206s. Which makes it even worse, trying to scam a fellow back collector.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Rob

Default T213-1

Someone placed a bid right before I contacted the seller to politely ask him how he acquired the card. I have not heard back from the seller and do not expect to hear anything. I hope it turns out well for the buyer.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:53 PM
Rob

Default T213-1 Molesworth

Here is my question and the seller's reply---
Me-- "Hi, I'm interested in bidding on this card. Can you tell me a little about how you found it? Is it from a card show, dealer, estate sale, collector? Thanks, Robert"

Seller-- "Hello yes a collector living in the south, you will love this card only the Evers EX/MT looks stronger of all cards ever found ! Thanks Paul"

In the listing, the seller calls himself "Daniel". Too many red flags for me, but I'm gonna leave it up to y'all...Rob
Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 AM

Hey Luke,
It looks like you sold this seller a card or two in the past, so you probably still have all of his info. These fakes aren't very good for many of the reasons mentioned above, and a few others I won't list here, as the scammers read this board too. The Coupon looks the best of the bunch and could actually be a real photo of the card, but like RC, I could never trust a seller with this many fakes.
Be well Brian
Old 08-31-2016, 06:53 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

So, okay, I bought it. What do you guys think, it seems good to me, looking with my loupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T213 Molesworth Type 1.jpg (77.5 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg T213 Molesworth Type 1 Back.jpg (65.3 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg T213 Molesworth Type 1 close up.jpg (12.1 KB, 279 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-31-2016, 09:41 PM
Steven Finley

Unless those are re-backed, the pair I just looked at (Conroy and the Coupon) are good. If they aren't, we're in a whole heap of trouble.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 PM
Rob

Ed, if it's on thin paper, it looks good to me. I'm glad someone from here got it...Rob
Old 09-01-2016, 05:47 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
So, okay, I bought it. What do you guys think, it seems good to me, looking with my loupe.
I dont like the looks of the edges and the border line. As has been said itd be really really hard to replicate/falsify the stock of type 1's...so the stock could be the smoking gun.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Unless those are re-backed, the pair I just looked at (Conroy and the Coupon) are good. If they aren't, we're in a whole heap of trouble.
I'm with Steve. The Type 1 Coupon and Hindu's look fine to me.

-TE
Old 09-01-2016, 08:28 AM
pete ullman

ed...if its a real t213-1 when you hold it between your fingers the "card" will sag...it will not remain taught like a t206 or a t213 2 or 3. is this the case???
Old 09-01-2016, 08:49 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It is the thin paper, same as my other type 1s. I don't post my name, so I won't give opinions about the purchase, but I will share the message traffic back and forth between me and the seller (names and address edited out):

Him
"Hi Ed , I was expecting far more for this card and several people asked asked an update about selling it off line . I will honor this sale but i don't wish to wait for weeks for the money WILL YOU SENT ME A MO since you know me and have bought other good cards from me ? I will offer you other great rare cards as well if you would do that more me , Thank"

Me
"I paid immediately via paypal. You should already have access to the funds."

Him
"Hello Ed Are you a Raw collector ? which sets besides the Coupons and T206's do you collect ? Red Cross , etc rare backs I am closing a major deal of these types ."

Me
"I collect many of the prewar types. I will be happy to watch your sales, I am on e-bay all the time. My friends collect as well, I would be happy to point them at your auctions as well. Has the Coupon Molesworth shipped yet?"

Him
"I explained that it takes 3 weeks to get paid with Paypal and my family is in serious crisis start here by answering in detail

Are you a Raw collector ? which sets besides the Coupons and T206's do you collect ? Red Cross , etc rare backs Thanks"

Me
"First, I am sorry if your family is having a hard time right now, I understand that it is hard when you need to take care of your family. I will tell you that your below message does not come across very well. First, when I pay by paypal, your funds are available to you right away. I am very experienced in how e-bay works. So it does not take 3 weeks to get the funds, unless there is something on your end, and that is out of my control. I am not going to send you a money order, you already have been paid, and those funds have already been deducted from my account. Further, sending you a money order leaves me unable to recoup anything if you fail to deliver. Next when you write that I have to "start here by answering in detail..." what type of collector I am, when all I have done is make a purchase and made immediate payment, and asked you when/if the item has shipped, it makes me nervous as to why you are asking me about my collecting. When you go and purchase something, does the sales person ask you what you plan to do with it? Wouldn't you think that was odd if they did? Finally, it will not help your family problems if you do not ship the card, I will go through e-bay and you will be down more money when they pull back my payment from you. If you list more items, I would be happy to continue bidding on them. That is how e-bay works, someone lists, someone buys, the purchaser pays, the seller ships. This is a simple transaction, nothing more than that. Please understand that I do not know you, there is nothing personal involved here. I bought something I was interested in, and so far, you have not delivered. That is all there is to it."

I never heard from him again. When the expected delivery date came and went, I opened a non-delivered item case, and it came a couple days later. I was seriously doubting it would arrive. I just wanted to share this and say thank you to everyone on the board that has shared their hard lessons learned, because it was on here that I learned not to ever send a money order to someone you don't know, or you have no recourse to prove you paid for the item. So thanks guys for always sharing those stories, and thanks Leon for giving us an outlet to share knowledge.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM
pete ullman

well thats certainly suspicious behavior?
Old 09-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Merkle Hindu

Well I bought the Merkle Hindu in question from the vendor a couple of weeks later. Received the card quickly. In hand it feels and looks fine to me.

Here are my scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Merkle Hindu 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Merkle Hindu 2.jpg (48.6 KB, 162 views)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

looks good to me at least from the scan...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
Well I bought the Merkle Hindu in question from the vendor a couple of weeks later. Received the card quickly. In hand it feels and looks fine to me.

Here are my scans.