NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Southern California Sports Collectors Show

Hey Guys,

I thought it might be fun for those of us who will be exhibiting at the show to introduce ourselves and say a little bit about what we'll have. That way we can seek each other out to say hi, and our SoCal friends can know what to get excited about.

I'm David, age 25, and will be at Table 32. Here's a quick rundown:

***Vintage HOF pro-model and game-used bats
***Signed Photos
***Rare and Signed Books
***A Few Choice Pieces of Hollywood Memorabilia
***'11, '12 and '13 packs for the kids

Also, I'm building a set of 1959 Topps in NM or better, so if any of you have any, I'd love to take a look.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
J@son M1ller

It should be a great time. We encourage everyone to check us out. Free admission and free parking. Come on by. Lots of great vintage dealers.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 AM
D@rek H.ogue

Should be a fun day.

My Dad Michael and I will come and hang out, and will be at table 66.

Just bringing some T206's.

My friend from Texas mailed me some nice cards to put up for him at the show. The post office said they would be here yesterday, and still nothing as of today.

Tick, Tock ...

Derek
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I will be bringing a wide variety of boxing and nonsports materials with a smattering of oddball baseball, football and miscellaneous sports stuff, a real festival of bric-a-brac. Examples: Adam Hats matchcovers, BFE bread labels, Topps Flip-O-Vision and Bowman Flipbook Movies, Tolstoi tobacco athletes, 1910s football PCs, uncut sheets of Exhibit cards and Exhibit card artwork and machine headers, NX5 1938 American Sweets boxers, boxing posters, and so on.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-17-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just thought I would bump this since the big day is tomorrow. Good luck gentlemen (and Adam). .... I wish I could come and join in the reindeer games but CA is a bit far from TX for a 1 day show. I hope everyone has a great time though. And thanks to the folks putting it on that chose Net54 to help advertise it. I hope it worked out well!!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I''ll be there. Bringing bucks for those must have deals. Looking for T205 & T206's.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Matt Hall

I'll be set up with another collector, Patrick. I'll have some Old Judge and a variety of other random stuff. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you local collectors!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 AM
J@son M1ller

Hope to see everyone there today. We'll post some pics and report back after the show.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Rich Klein

Default We have a nice small local show in DFW

But I'd love to see a bigger show

Rich
Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Well,
I am back from the show...it was great. The deals were good and I was able to spend my money (although...funniest moment for me was opening wallet and seeing that my wife had cleaned me out...she claims accident...I am not so sure!)...

The Hall was a nice, well lit, clean area. Parking was iffy at best but I did not mind the walk.

A good mix of dealers, many who I knew and a few that it was nice to meet face to face...

The feeling of the show was fantastic and spent a lot of time talking and socializing and really enjoyed the feel.

A lot of people were in the room...more than I have seen for a long time at a dedicated card show.

Thanks to all who promoted, set up, and came to the show. Very much looking forward to the next one.

Joshua
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Al

What a great show! I drove all the way out from New Jersey to try and support the new venture, and found lots of friendly faces and old friends. The venue was fantastic, the dealers were great and I met lots of bidders and consignors.

The post-show festivities are just as much fun.

Great time, and congrats to Anthony, Jason and Adam for a great first effort. Looking forward to next year.

-Al
Old 05-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Ruben

It was nice to see dealers with vintage cards. Good job guys
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 PM
D@rek H.ogue

My Dad and I had a blast and met some very nice people today.

I would like to thank Mr. Jason Miller and his entire team for making this show possible, as well as a special thanks to Mr. Chris Weber for providing us with a quality and affordable pair of display cases. My Dad and I are very grateful for all of the time and effort that was put into this show.

I got to hold a T206 Eddie Plank in my hands today. This absolutely made my day, as it was the first time I had ever seen one in person.

Thank You to everyone who participated today. I would gladly go do it all over again. Top notch Mr. Miller!

Derek Hogue

PS

Love of the Game Auctions had a fantastic booth setup with some amazing displays. I just want to go on record and say that I have only bought once from them, but the transaction was by far the smoothest I have ever had with an auction house on virtually all levels. I have never consigned anything to them... YET, but that may change. It was a pleasure speaking with the owner today and I feel this is certainly someone that I want to conduct more business with.

Last edited by DerekMichael; 05-19-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: ... T206 Plank !!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Mark Macrae

Thanks to Anthony,Jason & Adam for an excellent first effort. Nice venue with a great atmosphere. There was a good mix of material, minus autograph guests (Yes folks, you can have a show without an autograph guest). It was very nice to see some people that I hadn't seen in 20 years. It was also nice to talk with the So Cal regulars and meet some collectors for the first time. Everyone, including quite a few kids, seemed to be enjoying themselves. The day went very fast, and while most shows die out around 1PM, I didn't start packing up until after 5PM. Too many highlights to mention in print, but I'm looking forward to the next show...
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Mark's autograph

Aw c'mon Mark, you are a *combination* collector,dealer, autograph guest...all in one!

I'll be asking for your autograph in Seattle in June

Sounds like a great show you had in SOCAL, which , if you guys continue to host, I might give it a shot next time.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Scott

It was nice meeting several of you yesterday, especially the co-promoters. I wasn't sure about the best way to figure out who was who, but managed to ID some. The show was great and while we there there (around 1:30-3:00), attendance was pretty strong. Everyone was very nice. So many gorgeous pre-war and 1950s-60s cards and memorabilia. My fiancee, who generally couldn't care less about baseball cards, was really impressed with some of the things she saw. It was a long drive home to the OC, but worth it!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I was also impressed with the vintage stuff they had. Although I didn't find the cards I was looking for, I found other stuff to buy. Thanks to one who had the Old Judges. He was nice enough to show me how to authenticate them. Great show. Looking forward to an Orange County show.

Last edited by rdwyer; 05-19-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Jim Schneider

Default Wonderful Time

Thank you Jason et all for putting on this show, I had a great time, met some friends I hadn't seen for years and made some new friends. Wonderful event.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM
J@son M1ller

Thanks Josh, Derek, Brian, Jim, Robert, Leon and everyone that set up, supported and came to the show yesterday. Great day for me because I was able to talk cards from sun up to sun down. Saw some great stuff, brought my son by to pick up some Matt Kemp cards (I don't care if he bends them ), and just generally had a blast. If anyone that came has any constructive criticism on the show, please PM me. We'd love to hear it because we are constantly tweaking and want to make this show the best it can be.

Turnout seemed to be steady all day which was nice. At some of the smaller shows I've been to recently, there were long lulls and then sporadic bursts. I think the one day show actually helps to keep it going all day. Boy does the time fly when we get lost in cards.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Glyn Parson

Default If it had only been a week later

I would have been able to attend. I will be in southern CA next weekend thru early next week. Any of my friends from the la area please drop me a line if you are around at all. I'll be staying at the Mondrian on sunset blvd. in west Hollywood. Also if anyone has any card suggestions of shops shows etc please let me know.

Last edited by glynparson; 05-19-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Matt Hall

I had a great time at the show. It's was really cool meeting many of you in person. I was impressed by the quality of hobby people that showed up. I was lucky enough to set up next to Mark Macrae and listen to him talk. My table partner, Patrick turned out to be an awesome, super fun guy. I really lucked out. I think it "says a lot" when you want to walk around but you don't want to miss any of the action around your table! The promoters of this show are amazing. They just wanted to put on a great show, they're only concern was everyone else, not themselves, and they in turn, created a great time for us all.

I saw stuff yesterday that just blew me away. Issues that I didn't even know existed. I also picked up one of my new favorite pieces, an oversized 1934 PCL Champions Los Angeles team photo once owned by Truck Hannah!!! Thanks again Mark, this thing is massive!

Side note, I was surprised to meet so many other collectors younger then me! Keep in touch fellas!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I had a great time at the show. It's was really cool meeting many of you in person. I was impressed by the quality of hobby people that showed up. I was lucky enough to set up next to Mark Macrae and listen to him talk. My table partner, Patrick turned out to be an awesome, super fun guy. I really lucked out. I think it "says a lot" when you want to walk around but you don't want to miss any of the action around your table! The promoters of this show are amazing. They just wanted to put on a great show, they're only concern was everyone else, not themselves, and they in turn, created a great time for us all.

I saw stuff yesterday that just blew me away. Issues that I didn't even know existed. I also picked up one of my new favorite pieces, an oversized 1934 PCL Champions Los Angeles team photo once owned by Truck Hannah!!! Thanks again Mark, this thing is massive!

Side note, I was surprised to meet so many other collectors younger then me! Keep in touch fellas!
Matt, it was nice meeting you. Thanks for pointing out some of the other guys for me. I didn't catch up with MattC, but maybe next time. I will be headed to the Long Beach show in a few weeks and hopefully can catch up with a few of you there.

Scott
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM
ErikV

Default Re: Southern California Sports Collectors Show

I too had the chance to stop by the show, mostly to say hello to a few friends.
Kudos to the organizers who made the show possible. I was impressed with the
Nice variety of vintage material. I was relieved to see how the show was simple
and very manageable to traverse. Very little in the way of modern, shiny stuff,
and no Beanie Babies!! For those of us who live in the SoCal region, it was nice
to finally have a real show around here (sorry, Frank and Sons doesn't count.)

I got to me Al from LOTG. Very down to earth and friendly. (Al, I'm still
Planning on sending you that e-mail soon). I had a chance to catch up with
Mark M. Always a pleasure Mark!

Looking forward to another SoCal show in the future!

ErikV
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Dan Studebaker

Was very happy with the venue and the steady stream of people coming in throughout the day. Was able to make some sales, make potential sales, meet new collectors as well as see old friends and drop stuff off with Al for his summer auction.

Worth the drive up from San Diego, and plan on getting two tables for the next show.

Was able to spend a little time with Mark Macrae and watch him date one of my photos by the girth of the man in the photo. Always a highlight to sit in front of the firehose of information that comes in a conversation with Mark.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
Always a highlight to sit in front of the firehose of information that comes in a conversation with Mark.
Been there, done that, got the wet t-shirt. If they gave PhDs for baseball knowledge we'd have to call him Doc Macrae.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Ernest Reyes

Default Some local colelctor blogs chimed in

I thought I would pass along a couple of post from some local collectors with blogs who were at the show.

http://alltradebait.blogspot.com/201...broke-out.html

http://nomossushiplatter.blogspot.co...-fun-time.html

And below is my post about the show.

http://www.dodgersblueheaven.com/201...now-thats.html
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM

This was the first time that I set up at a show since I was in Jr. High in the mid-90s. I had a great time selling some items, meeting up with some fellow bloggers and chatting about sports all day. I look forward to the next show in Culver City and will be getting another table again. The LA area needs more shows like this. It was an old school style show that all types of collectors enjoyed. Please keep me informed on information for the next show or any similar ones that may spring up around SoCal.

Thank you to the organizers for setting up such a nice show and a friendly environment.

http://nomossushiplatter.blogspot.com/
Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM

Default Big Thanks to Adam, Jason and Anthony!

I almost have nothing to say because I completely echo all of the comments made to date. Great show! Very cool to meet so many collectors - several of whom I had traded cards via the mail or had "met" via email through the years but never knew. And thanks to my awesome table mate - Matt Hall - Thanks for helping me out through the day (Oh, and I'm still willing to give you a 300% return on your investment on that super cool early baseball photo! ;-).

But more than anything else - I wanted to give a big THANK YOU to Jason, Adam and Anthony! I know you guys put in a lot of time (and money) to make this happen, and I think you all did a fabulous job. Count on my continued support in the future!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Mark Macrae

Brian, you can act as my autograph agent in Seattle. Try to keep the price reasonable as I can’t really afford to pay out too much for each request......... Dan, you neglected to mention that I was the man in one of the photos and it was taken during the year I put together 50 sets of Hostess panels by eating the product...... David, I now am carrying a line of PCL Heritage T-shirts, that are super absorbent and shrink resistant....... I neglected to mention earlier that it was really nice to see a contingent of LOCAL collectors, wearing, displaying and collecting Dodger material. These types of shows should be resurrected around the country....All of the comments have been positive...
Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Anthøny N. ex

So a lawyer, a film editor, and a photographer walk into a bar and end up planning a card show.......

Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments, and we really appreciate everyone that attended, whether they were buyers, sellers or lookers. The show exceeded our expectations and we breathed a huge sigh of relief that it all went well. We've heard a bunch of suggestions to make it better and hopefully will get more as we really want to make it an even better experience next time - which should be in the fall. Stay tuned for details.
A big thanks goes out to Leon- the full room was testament to how well Net54 advertising works. This board really is the front page of the pre Gulf War hobby and his efforts to keep it all together make things like this show possible.
Most importantly, a huge thanks goes out to Mark Macrae who patiently talked us thru this entire process from beginning to end. A finer gentleman you will not meet.

Last edited by Griffins; 05-20-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
So a lawyer, a film editor, and a photographer walk into a bar and end up planning a card show.......

Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments, and we really appreciate everyone that attended, whether they were buyers, sellers or lookers. The show exceeded our expectations and we breathed a huge sigh of relief that it all went well. We've heard a bunch of suggestions to make it better and hopefully will get more as we really want to make it an even better experience next time - which should be in the fall. Stay tuned for details.
A big thanks goes out to Leon- the full room was testament to how well Net54 advertising works. This board really is the front page of the pre Gulf War hobby and his efforts to keep it all together make things like this show possible.
Most importantly, a huge thanks goes out to Mark Macrae who patiently talked us thru this entire process from beginning to end. A finer gentleman you will not meet.

Your welcome, Anthony. From all input I have seen, Congrats, to all three of you guys, on such a great show!!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Mark's shows in San Leandro are about the only shows I still attend. You couldn't have picked a better "Yoda"
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default California Dreamin......

After reading all these great posts and talking with Mark Macrae, I have to say Mega KUDOS to Adam, Anthony, and Jason for a show well done.

This scenario is reminiscent of the great shows here on the East coast in the 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's.

I am tempted to ask you guys if you can find a spot for me to set-up at your next show

My youngest daughter, Zoe, lives in Santa Monica....so, that would make for a delightful trip.

TED Z
Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 PM
D@rek H.ogue

My Dad and I would set up with you in a heart beat Mr. Z!

It was really fun. Plenty of awesome vintage stuff, including a T206 Plank. It was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
After reading all these great posts and talking with Mark Macrae, I have to say Mega KUDOS to Adam, Anthony, and Jason for a show well done.

This scenario is reminiscent of the great shows here on the East coast in the 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's.

I am tempted to ask you guys if you can find a spot for me to set-up at your next show

My youngest daughter, Zoe, lives in Santa Monica....so, that would make for a delightful trip.

TED Z
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

TED Z
Sure thing! Just a stone's throw away, in L.A. driving terms.

Or not...
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
David M.

Just let everyone know when the next one is and if there isn't another soccer tournament that weekend, I'm there!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 AM

The show was a ton of fun. Thank you to Anthony, Jason, and Adam for putting it together. Looking forward to the next one.
JimB
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 AM
Marty Pritchard

I made a 400 mile trip to set up at a one day show. I saw quite a few people from the old Hollywood Park show. Everyone that I talked to said that they were enjoying the show. The show was well run and good light. It is not normal for show promoters to come by and check on the dealers during the show, but Jason and Anthony were around all day, nice touch. I was impressed with the turnout, much better than the last new show that was tried in the area. The tables were priced so that collectors could afford to set up and did not have to cover for the expense of an autograph guest. I will be back since it is only six hours away.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Just let everyone know when the next one is and if there isn't another soccer tournament that weekend, I'm there!
According to their website, the next show will be in October
http://www.socalsportscollectors.com/#/
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

We're hashing out the details now, either 10/12 or 10/19 are the likely dates.

Or not...
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Default One thought to consider ...

Hey Adam,

Just a thought ... USC doesn't play on 10/12, on 10/19 they play ND (@ND though). May not make a huge impact, but if everything else is equal ... I'd say 10/12 might be a better date.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Dan Studebaker

Similar thoughts for me as I was excited to see that SDSU plays on neither of those days.