NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Default Heritage Catalogue

I just finished perusing the latest Heritage catalogue and, as usual, was blown away with the material on offer, some of which I have been bidding on. What gets me are the descriptions, flowing prose about the player, the game and, of course, the card on offer. I often imagine there must be a dozen PHD English composition professors toiling away in the Heritage boiler room creating interesting narratives.
But I wonder: How many different ways can you describe Ty Cobb, his feats on the Diamond and quirky personality without being repeating yourself.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I just finished perusing the latest Heritage catalogue and, as usual, was blown away with the material on offer, some of which I have been bidding on. What gets me are the descriptions, flowing prose about the player, the game and, of course, the card on offer. I often imagine there must be a dozen PHD English composition professors toiling away in the Heritage boiler room creating interesting narratives.
But I wonder: How many different ways can you describe Ty Cobb, his feats on the Diamond and quirky personality without being repeating yourself.
I'm an auction house writer. I used to do the flowery pose but now just get to the point.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM
Jeremy W.

A majority of us appreciate that.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
What gets me are the descriptions, flowing prose about the player, the game and, of course, the card on offer . . . How many different ways can you describe Ty Cobb, his feats on the Diamond and quirky personality without being repeating yourself.
I strongly agree. My thinking that if you're willing to spend thousands on a Babe Ruth autograph, you already know how great he is and how he's the Sultan of Swat and all that, and what you really want is information about the specific piece being offered. Maybe a few lines about the player, just because, but nothing elaborate or flowery.

Of course, there are always exceptions.

For example, if the biographical information is specifically relevant to the piece being described.

Or, if it's a card that's valuable not because of the player but because of something having to do with the card itself. Then the description would explain why a card of someone you've never heard of is so expensive. The 1958 Topps Pancho Herrera "missing A" error is a good example of a card that falls into that category - the card shown here (PSA Mint 9) sold for $17,926 in a November 2015 Heritage auction.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Michael Durrett
Banned

I feel opposite. As we evolve and our love for Cobb and friends grows it is a challenge to find new ways to express his immense character

Posed with 2 choices i would rather read a fresh new arrangement of words from an auction writer trying to keep it fun while inserting new ideas as compared to a generic standard cobb bio with each and every card because it just got boring

or why not just do away with the write up why even have it ???

Do not forget the 'write up' is just as much for the Seller as it is for the Buyer