NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Carl Horner Photographs

Posted By: t-206collector

Anyone know where one can locate/purchase copies/reproductions of Carl Horner's photographs that were used as the foundation for many turn of the century baseball cards? Does the Library of Congress (or similar library) website have any? I would like to display a couple with my collection.

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:03 PM

Default Carl Horner Team Photos

Since 1999 I have had a Horner photo of the Burdett College (Boston) team circa 1890s. Photo is 13 1/2" x 10 1/2', and is period framed to 17" x 15". The college closed in 1999. Horner's name is on the matting and also within the photo as Horner Phil., Boston. Always like it and valued it at a few hundred $. Last month, however, I found a Horner composite photo of the 1907 New York Nationals with 18 players including Hall of Famers: Roger Bresnahan, Joe McGinnity, and Christy Mathewson. John McGraw's photo is in the center. The piece is 16 1/2" x 14" and is framed to 27 1/2" x 23 1/2". I am certainly hoping that it is original as it would have considerable value.
If there is anyone out here that could evaluate both photos, I can send pictures. My email is springfvr9@aol.com

Bob
Old 01-16-2020, 03:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Sounds neat, can you post a picture.

Doug

PS - apologies for the potential hijack of this thread, but that Archive guy really pisses me off.

And, I miss all of the Bruces...
Old 01-17-2020, 06:37 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default re. horner

RMY Auctions has three Horner originals (not mounted) in his latest auction. If you check his archive, there have been a number of Horner originals for sale over the last year or so. You might want to check them out to see what the originals sell for. Nice images, although my wife says they remind her of Terry Gilliam's animated work with Monty Python. She expects the jaws to swing open and the subjects to start singing.

The Christie's East auction of BB Magazine photos in 1996 had a number of mounted Horner's and was deep in HOFers. Those are the most I have ever seen in one place at one time. That catalog turns up on eBay occasionally.

Thompson's dugout portraits, c. 1910, are really beautiful, but while there may have been a Paul Thompson, his stamp appears on a lot of photos that appear to have been taken by other photographers. Many of them are dead-on Conlon poses. Thompson's stamp often appears on Harris and Ewing photos, which were taken in Washington, D.C.

My feeling is, while there may have been a Paul Thompson running a photo agency, he wasn't taking the photos any more than the Fisher Brothers were standing on an assembly line in Detroit making car bodies for General Motors.

Re. Conlon....Conlon moved to New Jersey sometime in the late 1920s, hence the occasional two address stamps on the reverse of his early prints.
lumberjack