NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: identify7

Every card issued after a player's career has ended to me is overpriced. Some like Playball Jacksons, Leaf Wagner, Ruth and others are real difficult for me to understand (the demand).

What cards appear overvalued to you?

Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Judge Dred

All 19th century baseball material is over valued. I am offering 10 cents on the dollar (current value) for all 19th century cards. Don't miss out on this offer as I will only be making it once! Email me with details on all of the 19th century material you want to get rid of before the valuation collapse occurs.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Glen V

T206 Wagner
most PSA 7/8/9/10 commons

Old 06-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: J Levine

All graded cards...
Any premium placed on card #1.

As an aside, I will double previous offer and offer 20 whole american cents on the dollar for any 19th century stuff.

Joshua

Old 06-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Rob

ALL LeBron James cards

Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

I agree with you (Gil) about the value of players cards that are produced after a players career has ended or after they have died but market demand may disagree with our opinion on this subject.

There are a few cards produced after a players career has ended (or posthumously) that are very popular - the T205 Joss is one of them.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: jay behrens

This easy, the price of any first or last card that isn't in NM conidition. The 33 Goudey Benough is probably the single best, or worst, example. There is nothing rare about this card and there is nothign special about the player, yet this card carries a huge premium, even in the worst of conditions.

The biggest culprit is the price guides. They tend to be formulaic when they do their prices. If the NM is this, then EX is 50%, VG 25% G 15%, etc. I'd be willing to bet that if they started listing normal common prices for anything below NM, you'd see prices of #1 cards in lower grades drop. You don't beucase people are baiscally sheep and if the price guide says so, then it must be. And dealers justify inflated prices by waving around the inflated price guide value.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Jay -

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding....

You hit that one right on target....

baaaahhhhhhhh

Old 06-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Julie

--most are just commemoratives. Some of them show the old guys as they were when the set was made; if people want to pay for them, even if they're not from the guy's playing days, that's O.K. with me.

N300Anson. I don't know if the N300s are overvalued; all I know is that I have never gotten a N300 at the price listed. Underlisted, maybe?

T202S: Birmingham's Home Run, The Athletic Infield--both colorful, neither with end panels of HOFers.<br />Both go for the price of a one-panel HOF card.

I take exception to the T205 Joss--it was issued AS a memorial card, only a year or so after he died, very young. Also, it's a great looking card--what a face! Also, it's nice that plenty of them were made--I think everryone on the board has one!

Old 06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

Roger Maris, especially the 1962. 53 Bowman Color Reese. Any "low pop" common in an 8 because the price is just a function of the label.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: warshawlaw

and want to buy

Old 06-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Mark

E107s.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: scott brockelman

i'll buy all the E107's you can find for full graded book, honestly graded raw or slabbed.

let me know how many you have to sell, i can pay by money order or cashiers check immeadiately.

scott

yes...email to leonl@flash.net

Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: J Levine

I agree that as tougher cards go in the T-205 set this one is a little overrated. I see more Joss cards than T-205 Wagners, Donahues, or Kleinows. The Joss was produced sometime after he died in April of 1911. I am pretty sure(read as slightly more probable than not) it was the same print run as some of the other tougher cards (like Raymond, Donahue, Wagner, Kleinow, etc.) but not the same one as the Shean/Graham Cubs versions (which were produced sometime between June and October of 1911).

Actually, if Tim Newcomb is reading this, do you know when the T-207 set went into production? Late 1911 or early 1912? It could help me narrow the dates a little more.

Boy, does not take much getting me talking about T-205s does it?

Joshua

Old 06-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Anson

Sub-par, pre-war, questionable hall of famers

Old 06-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Jim Crandell

Overvalued--ungraded vintage cards that the owner thinks are near mint or better but would never grade that.

Undervalued. Pre-ww2 cards in psa 8 or sgc 88 or better in low pop. These cards are genuinely scarce and price will only go up.

Dav

Old 06-10-2005, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Jimi

...there's the T206 Wganer that SHOULD BE lower priced the T206 Ty Cobb (w/ Ty Cobb back). There's the '52 Mantle that is a DP, but we still pay more money than (usually) the much harder to get '52 Mathews RC.

Jimi

Old 06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Kieran

I dont beleive at all that the 52 Mantle is overvalued even as a DP. Why? Cause he is a player alomst everyone wants to collect..Matthews 52 most people dont care about. Price equals demand and there is barely noone more popular than the Mick.

"I have had balls thrown at me my whole life. When I turned 30 I started to really hate balls - I didnt like the smell, feel or taste!"

Yogi Berra - 1975

Old 06-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

The '52 Mantle.

The dawn of the real and fake rookie card concept.

As some may say: one of baseball card collecting's stupidest moments.

Forever to be revered as historically significant stoopidity in baseballcarddumb.

Ooops: Hello. My name is Gilbert Maines, and I collect baseball cards.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Scott, I wasn't asserting that e107s book for too much, but rather that (IMHO) they are currently selling for too much (way way way over book). If you don't agree that they're overpriced, here is one currently available for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5205202146&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Gil:

I have always wondered what idiot first called the 1952 Topps Mantle his "rookie" card...

and how he ever convinced anyone to believe him???

Another great baseball card folk legend.

1) The T206 Wagner is the rarest card of all
2) The 1952 Topps is the Mantle rookie card
3) Any card printed after 1990 is worth anything

Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Mark: I am curious why you feel that the E107 Chesbro is overpriced. It seems to me that a half dozen or so bidders are currently actively in the process of establishing the card's value.

This is not a fight between two thick heads. This is the heart of our hobby.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Chad

Really, what is the big deal about a rookie card designation, especially when it comes to vintage stuff? This is the one aspect of the hobby that just confounds me. It's Jack Chesbro's rookie card! Wow.

--Chad

Old 06-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Rookie card doesn't matter with this set because of the rarity... but HOF does matter.

If this card was Jake Beckley or Jessie Burkett or Cy Young or Honus Wagner or any other HOF'er who had previous cards issued...

it would still be just as high even though it was NOT a rookie card.

Just a rare as hell set.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Gil: You can argue that any card is not overpriced because people are currently bidding large amounts for it. But I think a better test for whether a card is overvalued is whether the card will sustain the its value in the future. E107s have only recently taken off so thay do not have as long a track record as other valauble cards. I know of HOFers that sold for only $3k within the past year. It seems to me as though there is an e107 frenzy right now which could lead to a bubble. But hey, that's just my opinion. Alan Greenspan does agree with me though.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

My bad, Marcus... I didn't pick up on your hint.

Marcus is RIGHT!!!

The E107's are NOT valuable!!!

Do NOT bid on them on EBay!!!

Stay AWAY from the auctions!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Julie Vognar

rookie and they like the picture. I do not like the picture, I do not have one, and my favorite Mick is the '53 Bowman.

I'm not a real Mick fan, but I can see how, given that he's one of the most popular players from thr last half of the 20th century, there'd be plenty of demand for his almost-rookie, first big Topps, macho, colorful card.

I have a '93 Pinnacle Jeter that I'm sure I payed a dollar or so for, that I really love. I believe someone was making fun of me because of it---and as many other things as he could think of. (chatroom gang-up. You weren't there? Good for you!)

Old 06-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Chad: I agree with you that the premium for rookie cards appears out of line with their value, however, since the demand supports this pricing, we are both wrong.

That is ok by me. The same is true for many items encountered daily, including some automobiles, beers, clothing lines, etc. However, there are some who actively collect rookie cards. And I have to admit that a presentation of a player's first and last card (or first and "in his prime" card) does make an attractive and interesting collection.

Mark: I can not dispute the fact that if a card maintains its value or increases, then the initial price paid for it is justified. The same is true for all investments, parimutual betting, home purchase and other situations in which you seek appreciation.

But without a time machine, it is impossible at any point in time to know if you purchased a card at its peak in value. In the case of E107s though, their rarity, position in the chronology of sets issued, and relatively unique appearance indicate to me that the set is likely to be a strong performer.

The preceeding is my opinion only.

The Conspiracy Theory postulates:

It is entirely possible that the bidding on E107s which we are witnessing now is simply a ploy. As such, its intent could be to drive up the prices of the Wagners, Mathewsons and other cards already hoarded by the bidders.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

The whole vintage card craze is a ploy.

There are 5 of us who bid on everything just to drive all of the prices up. Everyone else who already owns a vintage card is benefitting from the "bubble" we are creating.

I'll be sure to warn all of you ahead of time before our syndicate pulls the plug and pops the bubble.

We did this with precious metals back in the 1970's and with Cabbage Patch Dolls in the 1980's.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Julie,

WHO is Derek Jeter? (LOL)

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 06-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Congrats to HalleyGator! It is far too infrequently that we gat to see pivotal movements on eBay. And the story is yet unfolding. Good luck on the next one - and "good luck" can include not winning it, if it is wrong.

Is the Chesbro more or less common than the Lajoie, I wonder - wait let me check the pop reports - for those who feel the need for reporting.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Max Weder

Hal

I think you forgot to mention whether your syndicate was behind the tulip frenzy in Holland in 1636/37.

http://www.investopedia.com/features/crashes/crashes2.asp

Or perhaps the South Sea Bubble is more to your liking: a bubble built on a monopoly to all trading rights in the South Sea (substitute "baseball cards"?)

http://www.investopedia.com/features/crashes/crashes3.asp

M

Old 06-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Overvalued cards

Posted By: Anson

So Hal's probably behind the Dot Com Bomb too. Nevertheless, you can always adopt me Hal.

I think Tinker and Evers cards are WAY overvalued.