NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Dan Bretta

Default OT: Amusing Ebay Experience

Sorry for the OT, but I thought this was funny. I posted for sale a lot of 40 tickets for an old amusement park in Omaha, Nebraska called Peony Park.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4#ht_500wt_947

..now from my memory I posted that the park was "defunct." Apparently it is not as I received this email from the CEO of Peony Park.

------------------------
We have had several calls on this. PEONY PARK is still in business. Please correct this or we will contact E-Bay. Thank You, Carl Jennings,President - CEO Peony Park 402-391-6253 Celebrating our 91st Year!

------------------------

Now, I don't mind correcting this, but threatening to contact ebay? Also telling me a blatant lie such as "We have had several calls on this" when I can see by my own counter that only 7 people have viewed the auction which includes me and him.

So out of curiosity I looked up Peony Park on the internets because not only had my memory been telling me that Peony Park had closed up, but also just about everyone I know that have shared memories of swimming at the park also believe it to be closed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peony_Park

According to wikipedia the park closed in 1994.

Not only that, but apparently many people who live IN Omaha think it is closed as well and was replaced by a grocery store.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...eony-park.html

I'm not sure if this guy is pulling my leg or what to think???

edited to add: I just found a facebook group with over 5,000 members called "I Miss Peony Park."

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36323669559

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 07-29-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Dan,

Just looked around the internet a bit and while it looks like the amusement park is long gone, they still have some concerts at Peony Park. There is an 80s/90s concert scheduled for August 7th. They have a website -- www.peonyparkinc.com, but there's not much there.
The guy's response was pretty funny.

Greg
Old 07-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Dan,

He must be waiting for a mad rush of people to view the Keno Parlor

How dare you say that it closed down?

From wiki "The only remaining structure from the original park still standing today is the Keno parlor and a short section of the original fence surrounding the park, left by the property owners as a tribute."

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 07-29-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Okay...I still don't get his complaint...the amusement park is gone. This would be like someone complaining about me saying Forbes Field is gone even though there is still a monument in place.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Bruce Babcock

I have actually been to Peony Park! I'm not sure how many native Californians can make that claim. Around 1961, when we visited cousins in Council Bluffs, Iowa, just across the river, as I recall. If I remember correctly they had what seemed like the world's smallest rollercoaster.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Dan Bretta

I think the rollercoaster was gone before I ever went there as a kid...at least I don't recall it...I remember the Scrambler and the water park. The water park was a blast.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Doug C.

It must not be a very busy place if the CEO actually devotes his time to scouting eBay for $4.99 items that dare to say the place is "defunct" and threatening to contact eBay over such an egregious error.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 PM

I think Mr. Jennings is stretching the definition of Park just a tad. Probably just nostalgic.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...ed=0CBMQnwIwAA
Check out the street view.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
D.B. Cooper

Judging by the photo in that Google Maps link, if you go try to go to Peony Park, you run a 50/50 chance of getting attacked by the crop duster from "North by Northwest."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grant.jpg (5.3 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-29-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Dan Bretta

Uh yeah, the "CEO" of Peony Park emailed me back to let me know that the HQ of Peony Park is in Omaha, but the park has moved to Wahoo...I asked him what "amusements" they had at the new location and have yet to hear back. He also told me that he wrote a book on Peony Park's history and it has sold out twice....my guess is that this guy from Wahoo who loved Peony Park enough to write a book about it bought the name, or rather just took it when the real Peony Park went out of business...now he lets people hold concerts and high school reunions in his field that he calls Peony Park....oh and threatens to netcop anyone who dares to say that Peony Park is defunct.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM

Well, if I was Mr. Jennings, I would have kept my mouth shut and want to win the auction, just to have some more memorabilia, but nooooooooo. (Btw, at first I thought these were tickets to see the band "The Tubes")

This thread makes this item desirable, so I placed a bid. At very worst, I'll possess 40 chances to ride with Mr. Jennings on the ebayacoaster.

Last edited by Tsaiko; 07-29-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: I changed the 10 to 40; thought there were only 10 at first.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post

This thread makes this item desirable, so I placed a bid. At very worst, I'll possess 40 chances to ride with Mr. Jennings on the ebayacoaster.
We will see how bad you want those tickets.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 AM

They have apparently replaced the Peony's with soybeans.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
We will see how bad you want those tickets.
How badly I want these, depends on the backs. If it's Piemont, I'm not that interested, but if it's Old Mill.......

Seriously, OP, anything on the back?

Because these aren't graded, how do I know they aren't reprints?

Did Shoeless Joe ever go on this ride?

My ebay ad, when I flip these tickets , will be much more accurate. "RARE Tickets from the Now defunct Peony Park The Tubes Ride"

If Mr. Jennings has an issue with that, he will have to produce the ride and accept the tickets. After all, they are only good for this season.

Ok, I'll stop now.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:20 PM

All I know is we were all set to visit at the end of August. We were taking the whole family on vacation to Peony Park until Ethel, that's my wife, saw your eBay listing and told us the vacation was off because there was no more park. I didn't want to end up like that guy in Vacation that went to Wally World.