NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default That T210 Jackson

Posted By: Brian

Should be 'their' hands, not 'there' hands. This use of language isn't up for debate.

No reason to be sorry. You believing something different than I do will not diminish the hobby at all -- for either of us.

For my T212-1s, I will collect anything with a vintage cut -- even if PSA or SGC don't see it that way. I don't call it a vintage cut to make it seem better than it is. I call it a vintage cut because that is the more accurate term. I hope that you don't hate it that I make that distiction -- if you do, then so be it.

There are people that use different words for their cards -- no big deal. I can agree to disagree.

A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

regardless of your feeling of the card being discussed, handcut from a sheet 90+ years ago is NOT "trimmed" trimmed is taking an already produced card and reducing it's size to deceive someone. a handcut card is exactly that, a card that was cut from a sheet by hand with scissors. as many have mentioned, several issues are known for that characteristic.

the card in question has obvious normal wear and comes from a well known and documented find in which all of the cards shared the same characteristics. it does not take a rocket scientist to determine that the cards are vintage and as originally found. would a full size square cut card have been more desirable? perhaps? but this particular card has excellent eye appeal, normal wear for the grade and more than a reasonable amount of examination that leads one to the common sense conclusion that is a genuine card with a different cutting process than normally used.

i think most would agree they would much rather have this card than one creased in half or with back damage. and again most(almost every collector on this board) would consider it the centerpiece of his collection. as a barometer this is a card where probably 10-20 exist and that may be very optimistic. as a comparison the t206 wagner has at least 4 times that many and the average wagner(G+/-) pales in presentation to this card.

scott

Old 05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: eric p.

i wish i was the proud owner of this extremely rare and elusive card of the legendary "shoeless" joe jackson!

Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

So is GAI now once again (on again off again on again off again) slabbing cards as "authentic" or did you get this dome a while back?
PSA refused to grade the T207 blank backs which sold on ebay and since SGC says they won't grade them, I am wondering exactly where the seller got his graded since he claims he had (at least) one of his graded. PSA refunded the money I sent in to have the T207 graded but refused to grade it. It says in the label "REFUND DO NOT GRADE NOHOLDER"

Old 05-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

These were done a while back... and even then took some begging to get done.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I spoke with the grading dept. at GAI yesterday (checking the status of my latest submission). Before hanging up, I thought of asking them the question of whether they still slab cards that are trimmed Authentic (since I remembered seeing some of Hal's scans). YES - they do! However, on the submission form (or a note included), you must state "Authenticate ONLY". Hope this helps you out.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I captured both images and used Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 to make the raw card image 50% transparent. I then lined up the raw card over the PSA 2 card and rezied proportionately until the images lined up. The Jackson images line up almost perfectly. I then separated them so you could see how the cards look proportionally. The PSA is very short top to bottom and has wavy, narrower side borders. Here is the resulting image (bear in mind that the Jackson images line up; the variance is strictly in the borders):

IMHO the PSA version is significantly trimmed.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

It was long ago established the REA version was smaller and "trimmed" (cut from a sheet, hand cut, etc possibly many decades ago) and therefore will never warrant a numerical grade.