NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Default With all the talk of altered cards....

Posted By: Dave

I wanted to see if anybody here could tell me what's wrong with this Hall card. I submitted it to PSA and it came back evidence of altering. I know may be hard to tell from just a scan, not sure. The graded pic on the right is a scan from one of Wabbitwax's cards.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

looks a little suspicious. The corners at the bottom round differently than the ones at the top. JMO........

Old 12-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Administrator

Just kinda goes to say IMO, some of these jobs I guess are pretty good, at least to somebody like me. I bought the card raw off ebay and didn't think twice about the chances of it having been altered.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

One mans altering is another mans restoration..I worked with fine art restorers for 10 years.These people are responsible for the restoring of multi-million dollar art objects, furniture and just about anything on paper or canvas that can be restored/saved.All this without any negative impact on its value, if anything its value is increased..
So if a T206 or any pre-war card is subjected to a restorative proceedure, I personally would not treat it as damaged goods..
Pcelli60

Old 12-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Administrator

ahhh....hence why we live where we do...i did see this as damaged goods. if a t206 won't grade, I don't want it. and promptly got rid of the card on ebay for $20.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

I understand my brother in collecting..We gotta live by the house rules..And believe me I have learned several hard lessons from the powers that be..
Have a good one..Pcelli60

Old 12-02-2006, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

it looks like eye shadow and razor burn have been added...looks pretty good, glad i dont buy raw anymore...unless i know the dealer/seller

Old 12-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

the two cards are about the same width.... but the one on the left is a lot shorter.

if they are both authentic (no reprints), I would guess that one of them is trimmed.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Administrator

It does look weird with my crop paste job. Don't know why it looks so different. The raw card was actually 1/32 of an inch short from my own measurements I took. I still sent it in since the edges didn't exactly look sharp....and with the results coming back as altered, would PSA not have put on there trimmed as well?

Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...sold it, so you can't resubmit to PSA for another try; or, better yet, give the people at SGC a look. If you really like the card, and can't find the alteration, those are better avenues before dumping it back on ebay.

While I'm sure you won't always go wrong, it is a mistake to buy a raw T206 card on ebay that is advertised as anything higher than VG condition. Since it only costs $10 to have such a card graded to improve its value exponentially, there is a lot of ungradeable raw crap floating around. I would save my mid-to-high grade raw purchases for the B/S/T thread or a dealer you know deals in raw gradeable material.

In any event, I would guess the bottom edge was trimmed, but it is a nice job. The best way to tell would be to hold the card perpendicular to you, so that you are looking at the edges only, compare all four edges for even wear and color, and also look at how the paper on both sides should be slightly beviled as it meets the edge -- a trimmed card is squared off where the paper meets the edge.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Taking it to photoshop (I did it quickly)

I scaled the one on the left so that the interior image frame was the same size as the image on the right (scaled to match image size not card size)

The end result...
the card on the left was short top to bottom, and the card on the right was narrow left to right.

So, we have a difficult comparison to start.

I will say that even with computerized cutting machines today, paper cutting has certain tolerances - and there is the human error factor / so within reason - with today's best technology - cutting is not going to be precise.

I could only imagine that the tollerance was greater 100 years ago and the margin of error was wider....

so I am not so certain that size alone can determine if trimming or altering occurred.

jmho.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Er... uh... yeah...

Anyway, size alone is not determinative of whether trimming or altering occurred.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Actually looking back over my notes, I screwed up. So much for trying to go off memory. The card didn't measure short at all. It measured correctly length wise, width wise it measured larger. Puzzled me at the time because I had no clue if Sweet Caporal backs which is what it was could be larger or not. The card that measured 1/32 short was a Burch fielding (which came back trimmed) at the same time this one came back altered. The only thing I can think is some kind of restoration may have been done to this Hall..perhaps an add on job that would have made the edges wider? I'm not sure. I find it hard to believe anyone would try to restore a card like this that wouldnt great better than most likely a 4. Card sizes always confuse me. I know the American Beauty cards measure a little narrow. But other than that I don't know which backs may often be found to be a bit bigger.