NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default New Poll- Grading Company (or not) of choice...

Posted By: leon

Please take a look at the new poll and place your vote. I believe this new, formal poll, is the best way to get a feel for what everyone really thinks, that is on the board, or lurking, without having a "bash" party. I think most realize what the outcome might be but this will show us in black and white. I won't lock this thread but PLEASE NO BASHING. This idea came from an email I got. There is a concern it will instigate bashing but I told my right hand guy that it's part of the game....so anyway, we'll see...regards

Old 11-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

Good poll, but kinda tough for me to answer b/c it really depends on the card. For example, I like all my T3's in PSA holders b/c I think the SGC ones are too large and the T3 PSA pop reports are already well established. I like my Exhibits in SGC holders b/c I think the black/white cards look amazing framed in black (especially the borderless ones). I prefer my oddball stuff raw b/c I don't plan on ever selling and truly don't care about the limited value on these so I don't see the point of getting them graded.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

PSA....mistakes galore....but I'd rather have my stuff PSA slabbed

Old 11-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I just put my vote in and it is totally predictable, including a fair percentage going for raw cards, also predictable. I'm not sure this poll will tell us anything we all already don't know. Perhaps the degree of how much each company is liked or disliked will be the only surprise.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

For my high grade trimmed cards I go PRO everytime; but I love SGC and the black boarder for everything else.

Sean BH

Old 11-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Billy Stair

Pretty easy IMO.... I prefer SGC for PC stuff but for resale it has to be PSA (most of the time)

Bill

Old 11-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Whoever votes for PRO must identify himself.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

SGC

Old 11-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Given this boards biases I knew this would be a foregone conclusion. What the person that emailed me brought up is that there might be a swell of lurkers that aren't normally included in discussions and they could vote a different way than regular participants. My guess is they might not vote either though. I did want to see the actual numbers too, if nothing more than out of curiosity.....ALSO, this poll should really be answered according to grading of Pre-WWII cards.....I should have clarified that..

Old 11-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Agreed, as many like me prefer SGC for pre-war and PSA for post-war (for the most part).

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

I'll be the oddball by saying i like GAI for my own collection. I think Mike and Danny are two of the good guy's and have gotton steller service from them.
Even a little guy like me seems to be treated well.

But...... I recently reuped with PSA. I still think they are a distant 3rd in terms of standereds and openness. But when it comes to selling they still bring the best ROI.

My vote's....

Gai = 1
Psa = 2

But if i switched my personal stuff it would be to SCG.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

hmmm...seems like there are so many people on this board who bash graded cards...yet, according to the new poll, only 12% of you prefer "raw" cards...interesting...

Old 11-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Agreed, as many like me prefer SGC for pre-war and PSA for post-war (for the most part).

Ditto

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I'm surprised by the poor showing of GAI, that is running neck and neck with BVG with 6 votes a piece. Could it be that PSA and SGC for pre-war need to be referred to as the "Big 2", and GAI and BVG should only be considered as marginal grading companies for pre-war cards?

This poll is excellent as is, but should be redone every 6 months to a year, to see what trends develop. Obviously, PSA has lost some market share here, but not nearly as much as I would guess GAI has lost over the past few years.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stair

I still have no idea how BGS can get any love. They only know about the latest chrome super whatever or the game used garbage that killed modern cards.

Bill

Old 11-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

All my holdered cards are either in PSA or SGC. I have agreed and disagreed on grading from both companies...but who hasn't? I do like them both in general. From the design standpoint..I prefer SGC on vintage (pre war) stuff (the black back ground really looks good on my pre war exhibits) while I like the clear look of PSA holders in the post war stuff.

If I like the grade and the price..I wouldn't hesitate to buy GAI but have not acquired any yet.

Not bashing but constructive criticism...PSA do need to get rid of those "condom" type wrappings on odd sized cards like the caramels to prevent them from moving around.

I have been fortunate, both companies have had excellent communication and customer services regarding my submissions...I like PSA's email updates on status. I haven't had any delays in shipments from either PSA or SGC, whether the order was large or small. I had one card described incorrectly with SGC..one phone call..and they said just send it back to us and we'll make it right... and a week and a half later... they had my card reholdered with the correct description.

Ricky Y

Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

I have to imagine the BVG votes are primarilly or completely coming from Beckett employees. I am a bit surprised at the lack of votes for GAI.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

GAI still has the best holder in the industry (notwithstanding their earlier problems with loose gaskets).

In terms of preference though, I would go with PSA for all postwar cards and the more common sets (T206s, Goudeys, etc) for which PSA has custom holders. For other more obscure sets, I tend to go with SGC.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I buy graded cards for one reason only, and that is to buy undergraded cards. In this regard, I prefer PSA because their grading standards are the most inconsistent. I've managed to find a number PSA 1
"gems" for reasonable prices simply because they were slabbed ... I do like the GAI slabs the best, though. Too bad they were such flakes the only time I tried to use their services ...

Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

And why would GAI be any better then BVG? To be honest from what ive seen, and i have HOF T206's sitting in BVG holders, BVG is tougher then GAI has ever been on pre-war. Plus ive never had a card holstered with them move around in the holder and risk any new damage to the card. That being said when it comes time to sell no one can touch psa, atleast for the time being with pre war.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred2

This is a good poll. There are a few surprising elements like:

• Who would have thought that more people like PSA than PRO... ok, just kidding but the difference between the PSA and SGC numbers was a bit surprising. I figured that most people prefer SGC to PSA but this poll pretty much gives the "board" opinion of the two grading services.

• I was surprised to see so much lack of support for GAI. Overall more people are pretty much entrenched to either PSA or SGC so in the end it's not too surprising.

• I can only guess that the people that selected PRO were joking.