NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Anyone have a link or good stories about vintage "finds"?

I love hearing stories of finds in the attics, garage sales...etc...anyone know a place to read about some or does anyone have any good stories themselves??
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Eric Shaeffer

here's a cool thread about some
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I love this topic. The best two stories I have happened to me personally. A number of years ago when I was in my vintage collecting infancy I figures I could never afford a original T-206. I found someone who had advertised a bunch of repriunts and I figured I would get a few for the few bucks he was asking. I purchaed two Cobbs and a Tris Speaker. I asked where he found them he said he bought a box of misc. stuff at an auction. He wasn't into cards but figures he could get a few bucks to get his money out of them. After closer inspection of the Cobbs I could tell they were reprints but very good ones but the Speaker didn't have some of those characteristics. I kept looking at it and copared it to some on line but couldn't tell what was fake about it. I finally tracked down an old friend who was a dealer and expert to look at it. He did a close inspection with the jewlers loop, ruler and other measurments and agreed he felt it was genuine. He went into detail about what to look for. He felt it was a geniune T-206 Tris Speaker and I only paid $4.00 for it!
The other story of mine was a man was selling off his old collection he has for decades. He had amazing pre war stuff including some '33 Goudey Ruths and a Play Ball Dimaggio. While all of those cards sold very high (as could be expected) one card was basically being ingored. I had never heard of the set nor had anyone else apparently so I quick did some research and found the company only produced one year and wasn't very popular. Since then the set has sky rocketed in popularity as well as value but not before I was able of obtain a 1933 DeLong Lou Gerhig for only a little over $100. Definatly the center piece of my collection.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Another story I like. My friend and his father were remodling thier basebment in central Minnisota about fifteen years ago. As they ripped down the old 60's style paneling a card was saftly tucked away inside. Not a 52 MAntle or anything but still an 1957 Gil Hodges in near mint condition. He wasn't a collector or mucha of a baseball fan but still kept it until we met and became friends. We made a trade and I owned it for a while until it was time to sell.
Not the find of the century but still an interesting place to hide a card for safe keping.
Drew
Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Back in the 70's just before the price guides started appearing, I used to run an occasional ad in a local paper looking for cards. One day I received a call from an older gentleman who was moving. He said he had an old cheese box containing cards, and it was nailed shut but he couldn't remember exactly what was inside. I had no idea what a cheese box was, or why it would be nailed shut, but I was about to find out. I drove a short distance, met the man and he shows me a wooden box about half the size of a shoebox. He finds a hammer and pries open the box. Stacked neatly inside were about 200 1940 Play Ball cards, all in Ex-Ex+. One card however, was lying across the top face up. It was a '33 Goudey Ruth G-Vg. I was able to buy the cards at a nice price. That was fun.