NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default 1959 Home Run Derby- are there any soft markets out there?

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings) 

Anyone here collect Home Run Derby cards?

Thought I'd lurk and throw $300-$330 at this Home Run Derby Aaron card in the final half hour or so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16271&item=2707714770&rd=1

I was smoked long before I even moved. Now I know these are extremely tough to find in nice shape given the thin glossy paper, but this card appeared overgraded to me (I have an SGC 70 Frank Robby that is nicer), and I thought what with our slow economy and all, people might not wannna play on this. Wrong!!!!

Anyone care to point me to a pre-1965 market that is slow right now?
Todd

Old 02-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Still a great set with high prices -- but many of the keys have come down significantly in price over the past two or three years. You take Branca out of the equation, and the prices would be even softer.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Topps made from 1958 to 1965 in less than mint condition is not reaching the heights it was before. Given how tough the set is, sounds to me like you got a couple of Aaron collectors squaring off.

Old 02-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I agree with Adam - seems like a good time to buy "modern" Topps stuff if you are so inclined (I'm not). I recently picked up an SCD and there was tons of this stuff at reasonable prices (I guess).

I subscribed recently to Beckett's Vintage and I'm still waiting for the first issue - anyone else subscribe? Are they timely mailers? I also picked up an SCD "magazine" recently after hearing about a nice Old Judge article. By the time I located a bookstore that sold it (had to drive 30 miles) a new issue was on the stands. I sat down at a coffee shop and opened it. Five minutes later I was done - the "article" on Leland's m116 find turned out to be a short advertisement, but was still the highlight of my short read. Also had an ad for Lipset's upcoming auction. Is SCD worth subscribing to? Perhaps I just got a bad issue.

- Publicationless in Atlanta

Old 02-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Administrator

I don't know latin. I don't even do so good with english.

I subscribe to it out of habit. It does keep up with show news, etc. and there are occasional solid columns. Mostly, it is an advertising sheet, though. Of course, many venerable publications were ad sheets too, just with a little more meat to break up the ads.

Old 02-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Administrator

They send out all of the unbound major auction catalogues (Lipset, Rosen, etc.), which I find helpful since I don't bid all that often and/or keep getting barred from certain auctions.

Old 02-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Administrator

for thank you. Is that what you meant???

Old 02-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott