NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Donny Muth

Default Darryl Strawberry

I started collecting baseball cards in 1985 with a few packs of '85 Fleer. One of the first good cards I got was Darryl Strawberry. I started watching the Mets with my dad hoping to see Strawberry get a hit or make a good catch. He soon became my favorite player and I worked to get as many of his cards as possible. It didn't seem like it was too long before the drug abuse and other problems surfaced and left me without a baseball idol and role model.

I hadn't thought much about Strawberry in what seemed like forever.

Then I saw a commercial on TV yesterday for NBC and I thought I saw Strawberry!

I just checked out the web and sure enough he's set to be a contestant on The Apprentice. I read his bio on the show's site and it sounds like he has turned himself around and is doing good for the community.

Maybe I'll break out my old album, dust his cards off, and see which ones I'm missing still. It's kind of nice to not wince when I hear his name.

Hopefully, the bio is accurate and true and I no longer have to feel like I got shafted being a Darryl Strawberry fan.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Johnny S

Donny,

Getting 84 Topps, Fleer, and Donruss RC cards of Straw are so vivid it was like yesterday, and then the same with 85 Gooden. The jerseys and the great team were a combo made in heaven. It's kind of funny that three of my favorite players from the 80's were Pete Rose, Darryl Strawberry, and Dwight Gooden. I have most all of their cards, and the 83 Topps traded of Straw and Goodens 84 Fleer and Topps update and all their RC's are some of my all time favorite cards. I saw Straw on tv a year or two ago and he is a born again christian who seems to have turned it around.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Rob Miller

I always root for Straw even though he has made plenty of mistakes. He was a part of my childhood and I am glad to see he is doing better. Even though I am a die hard Yankee fan I catch the occasional Met game and he does the pre game sometimes. He isn't the best, but he is much better than some other "experts". And also I will never forget the role he played on the 1996 World Series team!!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Jason

Default Ah yes, The Straw that stirs the drink...

What a phenom growing up in the majors...so much fun to watch in those first few years. I loved that sweet, looping left-handed swing, and had alot of fun emulating that in the schoolyard...

When I was in high school, I went went to a Cubs Mets game on a gorgeous sunny day, sat out in the right field bleachers with a friend, and had it confirmed immedaitely what type of guy Straw was. As soon as he trotted out to take his position in right, he approached to a chorus of relatively friendly taunts. So before he turned around to face the field for the beginning fo the game, after his warm-up throws, he acknowledged us Wrigley faithful with a smile and a deliberately long grab of his crotch....ah, the memories!

still think the guy is fantastic. The choices have been often poorly made, but the effort he has put forth in getting through life is admirable.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
qu@n nguy3n

can't beat the straw...followed him since his mets days and i was so happy he signed with the dodgers . always remember the 1st time i saw his '89 topps card with the veins popping out of his forearms...FIERCE. maybe if he played in milwaukee or seattle he could've lived up to all that natural talent.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Kary

One of my memories of Strawberry was early in his career, possibly his rookie year, when he caught a ball near the line in RF and threw out Alan Wiggins at home trying to tag up from 3rd. Wiggins was possibly the fastest man in the game at that time. The throw was incredible.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

As a Cardinal fan in the 1980's, I never connected with Straws. The Cards and Mets had a great rivalry at the time. We loved to hate the pond scum Mets.

Of all crazy things, Darryl now lives in St. Louis! He cleaned up his life and found a church here that he loves. So, he packed up and moved here to be closer to his church.

I saw him last month at a sports trivia contest where he was a special guest. He gave a nice talk about the rivalry of the '80's and even made reference to being "one of the pond scum." He had some fun on stage joking around with The Batting Stance Guy. He talked about how he absolutely hated to bat against John Tudor, but loved to bat against Bob Forsch. His favorite Cardinal? Whitey Herzog.

The most encouraging part was that he attended the pre-party (booze provided) and was very approachable. He mingled comfortably with fans. His eyes and speach were clear and his walk was steady. In my opinion, this was a man that is happy to be alive. He has turned his life around and that is a real blessing.

Last edited by Jerry G; 03-18-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Clayton

I still have my Darryl Strawberry cards too.It's good to hear that he turned his life around,I wish nothing but the best for him-he was an amazing player.

Regards,Clayton
Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 PM

280 homers by age 29. 55 after that.

As A Cardinal fan, I was ecstatic when he went to LA to get him out of the NL East.

Doc Gooden by age 26:

132 wins
53 losses.

The ultimate "What if" players of the 80's.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 AM
qu@n nguy3n

cocaine's a hell of a drug...