NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Jeff Gross

Default Question on PSA Graded Sets?

I am in building several different PSA graded sets.

'57 Topps Baseball PSA 8's
'57 Topps Football PSA 7's

Does anyone know the best way to purchase the commons in each set? Try to purchase them in lots to get a better price? Any ideas on where to look for lots to purchase?

Any other suggestions that could help me complete these sets? I have already realized that I picked a huge set in the '57 baseball set to complete?

Also, what do you guys think of just building the base set vs. the master set for the '57 set? The checklists and contest add thousands to the costs....especially if I get them in straight 8's.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

ps. Sorry for putting my question in ther wrong section. I just realized it.

Last edited by jg8422; 06-11-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Michael..Adams

I'll defer to others as to the question about best way to accumulate high end commons, but I would like to chime in on the base vs. master.

I would HIGHLY recommend completing the base sets first, before considering the master. Not just for '57, but for any set. After the time you've taken to complete a base set, you'll be much more knowledgable and prepared to go after the other items. You'll also know if you really like the set enough to make the extra investment.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:09 PM
David Vargha

Start tracking pricing on your own or pay for a Vintage Card Prices subscription. It will save you money in the long run.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Set Builder

Jeff,

I am primarily a collector of individual sets. I completed a base '57 Topps set and didn't find it too difficult. However, eBay has changed and it will be more difficult to pick up lots in today's market. I completed the set by picking up larger lots of cards, upgrading where needed & then selling duplicates. The biggest issue with collecting a set by buying individual cards is the aggregate shipping costs you will have to pay by the time you are done completing a set. In addition, it is more difficult to collect high grade '50's Topps sets since most high-grade cards are split out, graded and sold individually.

It can be a long process. I agree with the previous poster....complete the base set first and then go after variations.

Have fun either way.

Regards,

MWheat
Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Jeff Gross

I have been trying to buy the 1957 PSA 8 commons in groups. A few weeks ago I got 35 commons for $20/each. A few days ago I got another 25 commons for $20/each from the same seller.

It seems as if $20/card if the best I can find for purchasing '57 commons in straight 8's. Does this sound right?

Thanks for the advice on building the base set first. I will definitely be taking your advice.

Anybody have any ideas on what it's like building the '55 and the '56 set in straight 7's? I see those sets are significantly smaller than the '57.

I something think it is foolish to purchase graded commons, but I amways come back to the idea of having the complete set graded. I know it is much more expensive to have the entire set graded, but oh well.

Sport cards in my vice for sure. Anybody else feel this way?

Jeff
Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
M!ke S@il£r

It really depends on how long you want to enjoy the set-building process. Probably the best way to build the set is to try and buy at least 50%+ at one time to save on shipping charges. If you are patient, there is always somebody trying to unload a partial or whole registry set on eBay. The best way is to knock off a good chunk of commons in a big lot and look for deals with the stars.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Default Sets

Yes, I agree with Mike. I have seen a number of sets/partial sets for sale lately. FYI, I don't have my sets graded....I would rather spend the money on completing sets rather than paying for grading.

MWheat

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 06-12-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Jeff Gross

I agree Zach. I buy all of the cards for my sets already graded. I do this for 2 reasons. (1) it would cost a ton in grading fees and (2) I would be nervous about buying raw b/c I do not feel I have a good enough eye.