NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Anyone in the Edison New Jersey Area - Can you help me?

I got my 48 Bowman set in hand and I am pleasantly surprised for the price that I paid. There are a couple of stinkers that will need to be replace. At first I thought that I had a signed Johnny Mize Card. I then realized that it didn't say Johnny, it said Donald someone - the original owner must have signed it to lay claim. Oh well, I'll have to get that one replaced.

There are 3 graded cards - Yogi (4), Scooter (5) and Spahn (3). I would say that it is a VGEx ish set across the board - especially after I get rid of the 5-6 bad ones. Surprisingly, Mize is probably the most valuable one that needs replaced. Feller is ok, probably VG but doesn't have any major character flaws.

Here is where I need help...
I don't have my scanner, so I can't upload until tomorrow night, but I have the set with me as I am travelling for business and grabbed it off the front door as I left today to avoid the barrage of questions that normally comes with an auction package (what is it?, how much was it? Do your realize that I need new deck furniture, carpet, fill in the blanks - even though I have a separate fund...but I digress).

The Musial looks pretty good. Good surface, strong color, and decent corners. I would think that as nice as it looks, the AH would have had it graded to drive the value up of the set - unless it is trimmed or altered and they could not get it in a slab. I have held it up to the other cards and it seems to be the same size unless I am looking at it wrong. I would prefer not to upgrade it if I didn't have to, but I would prefer to have that one in a slab as well. When I upgrade Feller, I will have him graded too.

Are there any shops near Edison or anyone on the board that lives close that would be willing to take a look at it? My gut tells me that there is an issue - otherwise, the AH would have submitted it, but my naked eye cannot tell.

Otherwise, I can scan when I get home tomorrow night but I am not sure if anyone will be able to tell definitively just by the picture.

Thanks!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 08-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Ben North

Take 6-8 other cards and put it in the middle of them. That will let you know if the size is good. You can then turn it to look at all 4 edges and compare them to the other cards.

Then you can always do the tilt it in the sunlight/room with bad lighting trick to see if there has been any work done to the surface.

Doing all this while looking at it with a loupe and different lights is always better but should help till you get back home.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Take 6-8 other cards and put it in the middle of them. That will let you know if the size is good. You can then turn it to look at all 4 edges and compare them to the other cards.

Then you can always do the tilt it in the sunlight/room with bad lighting trick to see if there has been any work done to the surface.

Doing all this while looking at it with a loupe and different lights is always better but should help till you get back home.
Thanks Ben
I just pulled 9 cards out of the sheet including Musial and it sure seems to measure - perhaps the three cards were graded before consigned. Otherwise I must be missing something

Old 08-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Kev1n @1les

Update -
I took the card to my local shop yesterday and he looked it up and down, and declared it good. He thinks that it is a 5 maybe 5+ - but I wanted to get some other opinions. All we can figure is that the 3 cards that were graded in the set were already slabbed and they did not submit anything else before putting it up on option. But that tends to go against everything that they do - and if there was a star that would drive the value of the set - therefore increase their BP, why wouldn't they do it?

Also, my son calls me a potato with technology and I have tried to put in a scan but it is a pretty big scan for such a small card. Any tips and tricks to fix that would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (60.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (67.3 KB, 60 views)

Old 08-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Ben North

Your scanner should have a option for you to crop the scan down to just the size of the cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg net54F.jpg (52.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg net54B.jpg (64.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 08-03-2019 at 11:26 AM.