NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-19-2019, 02:22 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Modern autos question

So I collect 99.9% vintage, aside from the occasional pack of Topps Heritage at Walmart. I have decided however that I wouldn't mind picking up some cheaper auto cards of my favorite team (the Cubs) players here and there. I did just score a nice 2017 Topps Finest Rizzo auto numbered to 25 and and very happy with it. But beyond that, what auto products are considered good / desireable, and which are not? I figure I'm fairly safe with anything Topps or Bowman, but I know next to nothing about modern cards. Thoughts? Anything specifically to stay away from? I don't like Panini anyway because I think cards without logos are dumb, so won't be tempted by those.

Thanks.

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-19-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:42 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Most desirable are the Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome, along with base Topps or Bowman, Heritage, Archives, and Ginter. On-card autos will outsell stickered autos.
Bowman's Best, Gypsy Queen, and Hi Tek are usually below those.

Then you've got non-Topps like Leaf, Panini, Donruss, Onyx, whatever. Make sure you've got a COMC account. Easiest way, IMO, to buy these in bulk and then ship them all at one time whenever you want them delivered.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Curt

I think that resale value is always somewhere deep behind any question like this, but a lot of times people are mainly looking for something that works for their collections at the time.

I collect Dodgers autographs. I buy a lot of cheap autos on COMC and they are mainly to check a box that I have one. From there, I like to try to get a certified autograph showing the player in a Dodger uniform. If that is not available or possible, a certified autograph in any uniform will work. Depending on the player, I try to find the best looking card design for the price, but given some of these players will never be good and the auto is only for checking the box, I still try to remain conscientious of price. This is why I have a fair number of issues like Signature Rookies, 2K, Best, Classic, etc. Panini has some pretty neat designs, but the lack of logo does hurt the look a little, but that won't stop me. It is tough to find a Dodgers card though, and maybe Panini has the only option, and it is only Dodgers by name and usually just "Los Angeles" only, not even "Dodgers".

I also don't personally mind sticker autographs and sometimes they are the only certified option after a player dies, but on-card signatures generally do look better.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 AM

If you're strictly looking for autographs of Cubs and don't want to break the bank--you can't go wrong with Heritage and Archives.

Personally--I don't think there's a better looking modern autograph set than Heritage Real Ones.

Archives plays into the same hand a bit and they always look stellar.

The Topps 35th Anniversary autographs of 1983 and 1984 are beautiful cards as well. They don't seem to sell for a bunch either which is a nice bonus.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:42 AM
J0hn Collin$

Thanks all for the responses.

I had autos here and there on cards and balls as a kid in the late 80's, early 90's - but became disillusioned with the auto game in general later when it came out how high the percentage of fakes was. I even had a Sandberg auto from an LCS dealer that I trusted and given - we didn't have the inter-webs to compare back then - but in comparing now it's obviously a horrible fake, not even close. So I bascially swore off autos for about 20 years, but have realized slowly that the risk is dramatically decreased with the certified ones, and in products that are legit where Topps had them done. So it's slowly rekindled my interest a bit.

I'm not concerned necessarily with getting autos only on a RC or something like that, I'm just looking for a nice picture and signature. I didn't even know about the stickers until recently, and just noticed that a Javy Baez card I bought last week has a sticker, but I liked the picture. So I guess can't really complain there, will see how it looks once I get it in hand, but I'm not thinking I'm likely to be super picky with these. I'm just looking for something modern to go along with the players I watch ever day to supplement my vintage collection. I think this will work. Thanks again...

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-22-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Bob B.

Personal Favorites are the Allen Ginter mini-framed autos. Usually very reasonably priced on Ebay especially for non-superstar players.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Matthew

My PC is split between 1956 Topps and Cubs autos, so I am a kindred spirit of sorts. My auto collection is mostly Topps Heritage and Dynasty (I like autos with Logo patches), but I have a few from other products as well. My focus has been on the 2016 WS roster, but I also collect autos of other all-time greats from various Cubs teams. Aside from Heritage and Dynasty, I also have autos from Five Star, Tier One, Stadium Club, etc because some of the players only have autos in those sets. In some cases, I have IP autos when there isn't an option from Topps. For me, the most important thing is that the auto is on card. Sticker autos are just awful in my opinion. Here's a link to a Flickr album of cubs autos if you want to check it out (Go Cubs!):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/221539...57675735249267

Here's an example of one of my Ernie Banks autos from a Heritage release a few years ago:

Banks_TH05Blue by boosandpearl, on Flickr

Last edited by IgnatiusJReilly; 07-25-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Jeff

I agree on the Heritage and A&G mini as mentioned. Player selection is somewhat limited. Best thing is that they don't employ sticker autos. Been collecting the Heritage since 2001.

Here's a few.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

On card seems to be making a bit of a comeback. I certainly prefer it since I worry that the stickers may delaminate at some point. I appreciate that UD is doing on-card sigs, not stickers. As for Chavez, well, he is one of the ATGs in boxing but his signature is chicken scratch and I've never felt comfortable adding a card of his to my collection, even with a TPG cert. This issue turned out to be the perfect solution.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-25-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:28 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Modern autos question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
My PC is split between 1956 Topps and Cubs autos, so I am a kindred spirit of sorts. My auto collection is mostly Topps Heritage and Dynasty (I like autos with Logo patches), but I have a few from other products as well. My focus has been on the 2016 WS roster, but I also collect autos of other all-time greats from various Cubs teams. Aside from Heritage and Dynasty, I also have autos from Five Star, Tier One, Stadium Club, etc because some of the players only have autos in those sets. In some cases, I have IP autos when there isn't an option from Topps. For me, the most important thing is that the auto is on card. Sticker autos are just awful in my opinion. Here's a link to a Flickr album of cubs autos if you want to check it out (Go Cubs!):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/221539...57675735249267

Here's an example of one of my Ernie Banks autos from a Heritage release a few years ago:

Banks_TH05Blue by boosandpearl, on Flickr

Wow, that’s quite the collection. Very cool. So far I have a ‘17 Rizzo Topps Finest numbered to 25, and several Javy autos on the way. Honestly I’m not familiar enough with these modern cards yet to tell you off the top of my head what they are, but I liked them and they didn’t break the bank. Will post here once in hand.

Go Cubs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-25-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:37 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Hey John,

I'm a team collector too. I've been collecting modern Pirates autos. I tend to stay away from the stickers too unless the photo is really cool. Like me, it doesn't seem like you are collecting for resale. If you are, then the autos that say "1st Bowman Chrome" will be worth the most if the player ends up being a stud. You pay the most for those too especially if they are serial #'d colored refractors (or whatever they're called).

Being that we are a Pre-War/Vintage board, most would agree that autos from Heritage, Archives, Gypsy Queen, and Allen & Ginter are pretty cool and I would agree. I especially like Archives because they produce "Fan Favorite" autos of past players that team collectors like us will appreciate such as Kent Tkulve, Tony Pena, Sid Bream, etc. They also use old different Topps designs each year so they're pretty cool. You should check out what Cubs they've produced over the past few years.

My two other favorites for modern autos would be Topps Museum and Stadium Club. You won't pay as much for them as the more popular issues. The Museum ones are all serial #'d on-card autos that just look nice in my opinion. Stadium Club is on-card autos as well and really has some cool photography. Here's a couple of my Stadium Club examples from 2019:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (71.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (67.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by VoodooChild; 07-26-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:06 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Let me see if I have this right. Manny Machado refused to hustle during the post-season - the frickin' post-season - and explained it away with a dismissive "that's the way I am." Despite not giving his employer 100%, he got rewarded for his (lack of) effort with a $300 million deal for a new team.

And now, thanks to the image shown above, I've just learned that Manny Machado only signs his first name. And - correct me if I'm wrong, because you can't even read the darn thing - he can't even be bothered to sign all five letters of "Manny"?

The universe must really, really love Manny Machado.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Jeff

Your point?

Actually I think he only signs his initials, I took that to be M M.

Votto's is hardly any better.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-29-2019, 11:03 AM
J0hn Collin$

Thanks again all for sharing your collections here.

Dumb question - I have a “Topps Now” Javy Baez auto that just came in, and it’s sealed in one of those BCW cases with the “Topps Now” sticker. Is this anything to preserve? I’m asking because the case despite the cool sticker is scratched up (of course...) and if it’s not going to hurt the value or some unwritten rule I’d prefer to bust this out and put it in a mag case.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Thanks again all for sharing your collections here.

Dumb question - I have a “Topps Now” Javy Baez auto that just came in, and it’s sealed in one of those BCW cases with the “Topps Now” sticker. Is this anything to preserve? I’m asking because the case despite the cool sticker is scratched up (of course...) and if it’s not going to hurt the value or some unwritten rule I’d prefer to bust this out and put it in a mag case.

Thanks.

I'd leave it in, it can always be removed later.
One of the sets I collect came in holders like that, and finding them in the holder can be difficult even though they're fairly common.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:09 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'd leave it in, it can always be removed later.
One of the sets I collect came in holders like that, and finding them in the holder can be difficult even though they're fairly common.
I was able to remove some of the severity of the scratching with a car wax scratch product (the same I use with scratched PSA cases), so I did leave it in. Hard to tell now with the case also inside a sleeve. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2019, 01:14 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
And now, thanks to the image shown above, I've just learned that Manny Machado only signs his first name. And - correct me if I'm wrong, because you can't even read the darn thing - he can't even be bothered to sign all five letters of "Manny"?
He's hardly alone. My Cubs autos so far (Javy Baez and Anthony Rizzo) aren't much better. Even for a retired HOF'er, Ryne Sandberg's modern auto is little more than chicken scratch. I think it's just a casualty of the business of nostalgia - some of the older players only really had to (or chose to...) sign in-bulk after they retired. But today, it's a wonder that a prospect doesn't have carpal tunnel syndrom from signing by the time he reaches the big leagues...

One auto that remains really nice is Johnny Bench. I've seen some of his recent sigs on Topps Heritage products and I'm not sure if he just takes his time or what, but it's a really nice sig. My LCS has one in the case that I've been looking at recently...
Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Matthew

Here’s my Sandberg auto from 2016. I think it looks nicer than some of his more recent cards, especially Definitive.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't collect autos per se but have this one as it is Cabrera's best rookie card by far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabrera.jpg (77.7 KB, 63 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
Here’s my Sandberg auto from 2016. I think it looks nicer than some of his more recent cards, especially Definitive.

Yeah, now see that is very nice. Ryno is hit and miss though, I think. I’ve seen others recently where it’s just scribble.

Another nice one most of the time is Andre Dawson. You can actually make out the letters...