NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Default disappointing moment

Posted By: jay behrens 

anyone else disappointed that Ripken breaking Gehrig's consecutive game record was voted baseball's most memorible moment?

I voted for Robby breaking the color barrier

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Jay,

I didn't vote and I don't have a problem with Ripken winning but I thought that Aaron breaking the near unthinkable Home Run record should have been the moment. However, realize that most people voting remember Ripken but, truly, do not remember many of those other moments firsthand.

Cy

Old 10-26-2002, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

A) A lot of the people voting were closer to my age (26)which unfairly skewed the results to events within the past 20 years.

B) As has been discussed elsewhere (CU forums), though Ripken's achievement was very, very memorable, it was more of a continuation of something special than an actual "moment".

Nonetheless, I think the whole thing turned out pretty well. Surely most people seem to have forgotten the devil incarnate Selig in the process, which can only be good for baseball.

Old 10-26-2002, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

I think the idea of the greatest moment was good but letting just anyone vote and this is what happens,theres too many people who probably voted and didnt know what was significant about every moment on the list.... I didnt vote either so i wont complain,but Ripken wouldnt have been one of the choices i wouldve mulled over

Old 10-26-2002, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I'm with the guys who argue that many of these "moments" weren't moments at all, but careers. Ripken, Aaron had little suspense to them. They were going to happen; it was only a question of when. For me the most memorable moment was Gibson's homer (and I'm not a Dodger fan). I could see Thompson's homer also but unfortunately I didn't see that one first hand.

Old 10-26-2002, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

personally, I would go for Nolan Ryan's "6-hitter" against Robin Ventura. I also liked the All-Star game moment where John Kruk kept bailing out from Randy Johnson high fast-balls.

In any case, Ripken's drive around the field in the golf cart was embarassing.

But for sheer thrill, lame Kirk Gibson's pinch-hit game-winning World Series home run against the A's was the best!

Old 10-26-2002, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Jay
I also relate to momments I actually witnessed, therefore Reggie Jackson's 3 Homeruns on 3 pitches in the World Series is my momment(actually 3 momments)but too cool to leave out. As a 10 year old Yankee fan I sat in anticipation of Reggie's last at bat, I don't think we will ever see it again.
I know everyone on the board hates the Yankees, and probably Reggie as well, but the feat was awesome. later brian

PS Jay, I agree the Gibson Momment is up there in my book.

Old 10-26-2002, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Brian----I grew up about a mile from Yankee Stadium and love the Yankees. Unfortunately, I have met Reggie a few times and dislike him intensely. However, that is the person. The player was a great clutch performer and those three homers were a great series of moments.

Old 10-26-2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Talk about the WORST possible choice. My vote would have gone to Aaron breaking Ruth's HR record.

Sorry, all you Baltimore fans but considering the lack luster years Ripken had he deserved that record as much as Selig deserves to be Commissioner.

Old 10-26-2002, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

HI Jay
I think you and I are in the Minority on the board. I think there are more Twins fans than Yankees. I have also met Reggie several times through the years and the word that comes to mind is Jackass, not the movie.
The last Homerun off of Hough to Center field was a great momment. later brian

Old 10-26-2002, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

subjective.........NOTHING can have the impact of Robinson breaking the color barrier but it's all how you interpret the word 'moment' (don't mean to sound like Clinton parsing my words here........).

I agree with Scott and others that Gibson's HR was pretty intense 'moment' but no more than Thomson's was. I also agree with Jay that Aaron and Ripken's were GOING to happen, nothing really suspenseful.

Old 10-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...list what the choices were for the most memorable moments? I'd like to see what people had to choose from.

Old 10-26-2002, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

I can't see how Gehrig's farewell speach, Ruth's "called shot" and the "Shot heard 'round the world" didn't make the top 10 list, nor the '86 Mets' shocking World Series game 6 comeback victory over the Red Sox from 2 runs down in the 10th inning, down to their last strike, 2 outs, nobody on.

Old 10-26-2002, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

A media hyped event par excellence.
Fisk's game winner in game 6, "The shot heard round the world" (Thompson's home run), Don Larsen's perfect game, Wille's catch in the '54 series, Maz' home run to win the WS in '61, Jackie, Lou's speech, Babe's called shot, Joe D's 56th consecutive game hit, and Merkle's boner were all better.

Old 10-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

and his "moment" was the best in the mastercard poll. I'm not suggesting ballot fraud . . . I guess it was a florida election.

Old 10-26-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

deserves to be up there more than some of the other choices...

Old 10-26-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Come on Bob---First the Yankee-Pirate series was 1960, not 1961. Second, Mays' catch was just a good catch. There are plenty of these and he, with his huge ego, even downplays it. Merkle's boner was really the umpire's boner for enforcing a rule that was never enforced before. It, to me, is no different than the George Brett pine tar incident except in that case the field ruling was reversed on appeal. I think the Robinson moment was special as were Thompson's, Gibson's and Fisk's homers (I guess Maz's homer too but it hurts to say that). Funny thing is, I met Maz and Ralph Terry at a card show several years ago. Maz was a great guy, Terry a douche. That made memories of the homer a little less painful.

Old 10-26-2002, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The truly incredible thing about 'The Catch' was not the catch, but the throw back into the infield, which you never get to see.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As much as there are the steroid issues that come into play I don't remember a more heartfelt moment (personally) than when McGuire broke the record.....when he rounded the bases and looked up at the sky and then to Maris's family it was awesome....I just got a tingle writing this..........or was that dandruff......(no, I would need hair for that)...it WAS that moment .....otherwise, for one I have not personally seen could there be a more monumental moment than Gerhig's speech ? regards all

Old 10-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Excellent points. I had forgotten about those moments. He did handle that moment with a lot of class. My sentimental choice was Gehrig's speech with Jackie Robinson's rookie year a close second.

My #1 choice still would have been for Aaron. He gets no where near the respect he deserves and he went through the same hell Maris did, if not much worse. I find it hard to write of that moment as something that would have happened "eventually".

In 1998 wasn't everyone saying McGuire would hit #715 "eventually"?

Old 10-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wade

I am assuming that you guys are referring to Mark McGwire? Just a misspelling I'm sure.

Old 10-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I can not spell for crap....it was McGwire...but ya'll knew what I meant.....

Old 10-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Administrator

. . .and I went to art school.

Old 10-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Could you imagine how high up the list Maz's homer would be if he was a Yankee beating the Pirates, or any other team, with a ninth inning, 7th game World Series homer? The fact that this homer beat the Yankees is another reason why it is downplayed. Anti-Yankee feats by small market teams do not get the notoriety that they should get. I realize Carter's homer was impressive, too. But it was the 6th game and if they didn't win that one, they had another day.

This homerun may not be the ultimate moment in baseball history, but it sure is as dramatic, no it's more dramatic, than Thomson's homer. It won the World Series, not just the pennant and this homer beat the mighty Yankees.

And, yes, Maz IS a great guy, too, which should enhance the feat.

Cy

Old 10-26-2002, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Come on Bob---First the Yankee-Pirate series was 1960, not 1961.>

My bad. 1961 was the Yanks throttling the Reds.

Second, Mays' catch was just a good catch. There are plenty of these and he, with his huge ego, even downplays it.>

Just a good catch???? Name one better in the World Series' history! Gionfriddo's running one arm stab of Joe D.'s fly against the rail in left field foul territory is probably next. The Mets' rf in '69 robbing Brooks Robinson and saving the game was a great catch, too. But they weren't even close. Nothing else is even close. When Mays later hit a resounding shot to deep center over the head of the Indians' outfielder, it was said that "the only person in the world who could have caught that ball, hit it." It was an incredible moment, frozen in time.

Merkle's boner was really the umpire's boner for enforcing a rule that was never enforced before. It, to me, is no different than the George Brett pine tar incident except in that case the field ruling was reversed on appeal.>

Now this is just plain goofy. Merkle's boner impacted the entire season and forced a playoff game resulting in the Giants losing the pennant in 1908. Brett's home run impacted nothing except his home run total that year.

Old 10-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

The problem with these is that you end up with lowest common denominator stuff. This is true of virtually any mass decision.

Informed opinions are always more interesting. You rarely see masterpiece-by-committee.

If you think some other moment is more interesting, make a web page celebrating it. You probably won't end up on national TV during the World Series, but you'll get some nice email.

bruce

Old 10-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: W.M.

Ripken's record breaking moment being picked was a disappointment. I agree with what Joe Morgan once said in that Ripken's continuous game played streak is one of the most overrated records in baseball.Morgan pointed out that Ripken often played injured or during severe batting slumps when he should have been benched.

The sad thing here is that Baseball cherishes its history but many of todays generation X,Y and Zers have no concept of history and live only in the now. Although this may not be their fault and have more to do with Mastercard and its relationship with Ripken.

I think Aaron's 715th should have got the nod as it was truly a historical moment. The truly most disapponting moment in Baseball history is Suttons election to the Hall of Fame. (I say this tounge n cheek)

Old 10-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I said to mark Macrae's mother (Mark being at the game) when i got home late.

My son reviews mpovies for nthe Dallas Morning News, and he said the skewed thing was the "Moment" business. Some very important things were NOT moments. Jackie, Aaron (whoops, that WAS a moment), Williams and Di Maggio and as they pu t it 'the race between Mark Mcgwire and Sammy Sosa to break maris' record" (I liked that!).

Gehrig WAS in the top ten; he was 4 or 5. Maybe it was all those ads, but--even though I was already 4, I'd never seen a newsreel--I think Gehrig belongs up there too. This guy plays every game, because that's the way he is, and then finds out he's speedily dying of some rare disease, and says he's the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Funny, I never paid much attention
to Gehrig before. Gutsy guy, and a great ball player.

You know, I never watched baseball as a kid, young woman--not until I was about 40. So, though all those things DID happen in my lifetime. I only remember Gibson's home run, and Jeter's traversing the diamond, catching the errant throw from the outfield and flipping it to the catcher to tag the non-sliding Giambi. I know, that wasn't even nominated. I was so excited about Gibson that nobody spoke to me for a week..this is As country.

Old 10-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Like the title said, its not the greatest moment or the most important or key play, just the most memorable moment. My list would have to include Fisk waving at the ball to stay fair, Gibson pumping his fist as he limped around the bases, and Canseco having a ball bounce off his head for a home run.

Old 10-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Julie's right. Many of the "events" listed were not moments. For what it's worth, I punched out those little tabs on one of the official ballots during a Twins/A's game. Here's the five I picked:

(1) Gehrig's farewell speech
(2) William's .406 season (I interpreted part of this "event" as William's miraculous last game [moment] that solidified his accomplishment).
(3) Jackie Robinson's debut
(4) Bobby Thomson's blast in '51
(5) Hank Aaron breaking the Babe's HR record.

And I was tempted by the following:

(1) Rose breaking Cobb's hit record
(2) Buckner's error in '86
(3) Maz's shot in '60

...so don't blame me for Ripken getting the honor of orchestrating baseball's most memorable moment. I don't even think this would have made my top 20.

http://www.gazettenet.com/10242002/columns/1181.htm

Old 10-28-2002, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Monsta

Ditto to all the comments. The actual game he broke it didn't win a game, contribute to the score (directly), etc. A big dissapointment. Baseball needs better than this at this time. Ripken's great but not for this big hulla-baloo. At least the WS is a good one.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ms4epg1

I wasn't there, but I saw it on TV. My dad happened to come upon this item that very night in the elevator. So, someone else wasn't there to see it either. Sixteen years later, I had it autographed. Not a good personal experience. But that's the way the man was.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I didn't recognize it till I saw my own post, and then I looked at the date. I was all set to welcome back a new-old member, when I realized he hadn't been around for over two years...Jackie, Gehrig, you guys fight over 3rd.

"a disappointing moment" for me...

Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Old 03-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

As a history teacher of mine once noted: "For Americans today there are two generations--the living and the dead. And all the dead knew each other."

Ripken's streak? That's just asinine.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

"what is history? Numbers...thus the continent of Africa came at last to be dominaterd by Africans, but the Americas will never be dominated by African-Americans." Or something like that.

What WAS your point excactly? That Ripkin was a ricidulous choice, or that i was ridiculous for saying it was ridiculous?

I'm in a HORRIBLE mood!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Jeter

three run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning to end the 1993 series against the Phillies? It just goes to show that even memorable events are forgotten from time to time. BTW, I am a Yankees fan not a Toronto fan but that was pretty memorable.

Scott

Old 03-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

If you're referring to my post, Julie, it has absolutely nothing to do with you. The quote refers to the original post and speaks of our inability to look outside our own times or to understand them in any type of context. What color is the sky in your world? When astronomers do find the center of the universe, I hope you won't be too upset that it isn't you.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Getting Back to the Future

As a young teener, I was sitting in the right field bleachers in the House that Ruth built.
Watching, and listenning to Mel Allen introduce a legend wearing a tan camel hair coat, and standing somewhere near homeplate.
The date was April 27 1947.
You would never know by the deafening silence, that the Ball Orhard in the Bronx was totally packed.
The stadium was alive when Mel started his introduction, but you could hear a pin drop when the man in the camel hair coat started to speak.
His voice was raspy, and hard to make out.
Actually the man didn't have to say a word.
He had already made his mark, and his statements have all been stamped in history.
The man had saved baseball, and had established a dynasty in the Bronx.
That day, we were there for the MAN.
The day was BABE RUTH Day April 27 1947, and to me, it's still a memorable moment.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator

ridiculous choice, and only then did I speculate that perhaps you had thought me...it doesn't matter. I certainly don't think EITHER OF US is the center of the uiniverse...I think your histroy teacher's statement is not quite clear in context. My own quote wasn't from my own history teacher, but from one in a movie. Sorry. I also added that I was in a bad mood, but that didn't seem to get me out of the way of unfriendly fire, either.

If your history teacher said that all the dead speak to one anotrher, it seems to me he would believe that is only us, the living, who cannot see things in context...and as soon as you pop off, everything is perfectlty clear. Thus Bobby Bonds would now know what the most memorable moment in baseball was...

Old 03-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Hank Aaron's career homerun record,beating the Babe, meant the most to me.
I taught Aaron's daughter and received a signed photograph of the momentous
event and an autographed baseball. Still means a lot to me.

Not in the same league as any of the other things noted by the board, but
still momentous for me in a nostalgic sort of way, was listening to Dizzy
Dean singing Wabash Cannonball as he tried desperately(fighting an inexorable drunkenness) to talk about
Falstaff beer and PeeWee.

best

Barry Arnold

Old 03-10-2005, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

in his last at bat was my most memorable - saw the game for free in the bleachers september 1960 and ball landed about 50 feet from me.

Mays's catch and throw was amazing - could not believe he caught the ball. His arm was unbelievable - saw a throwing contest beween he and Jim Peirsol in 50's which was not even close and Jim's great arm was never the same after that contest.

Fisk's HR in 75 seen in a hotel room in Mawawh NJ is next for me. Followed the by pain in game 7 and again by pain in game 7 11 years later. Finally 18 more years to peace - there are some advantages to a long life.

Disapointment - not getting to see Aaron and Mathews pound the ball around Braves Field in Boston. I think Hanks would have 800+ there.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig

What I'm not sure what this thread has to do with Vintage card collecting, but I had to respond to Warshawlaw that Cal Ripken's 2131 moment being voted as Baseball's Most Memorable Moment was somehow "tied" into him having a promotional deal with MasterCard. While I disagree that the 2131 moment was Baseball's most memorable moment (I'd choose Bobby Thompson's 1951 HR myself), I did check with Ripken Baseball Inc. & they informed me personally that Cal Ripken has NEVER had a promotional deal with Master Card. Adam I suggest you spend less time chasing ambulances and more time getting facts straight.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:05 AM
Administrator

A "disappointing" moment for me was realizing that you don't even know how to spell "Ripken" correctly....Perhaps this forum should be limited to baseball fans only..........

Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Not only do I not think Ripkin's record should have been #1, but I don't think it is necessarily that commendable. That means he played in spite of occasionally being sick or in pain when it might have been better for him to sit a game or two out. That is an EGO record, nothing more.
JimB

Old 03-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Craig: Persoinal comments about posters is in tune with the method most often associated with disagreements among the fairer gender. I hope that slapping and scratching does not come next from you.

There is no problem with disputing the contentions of others, just stick to the facts, or your interpretation of them.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Administrator

After I chastised Julie for a misspelling in Cal Ripken Jr's name, I realized that I misspelled Bobby Thomson's name in a previous post...Julie, my apologies.......

P.S. Whats for dinner?

Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I corrected the spelling error, but alas, it had already spread to someone who posted beneath me. I CANNOT spell--and the sooner you figure this out, the fewer spelling mistakes you will make copying me!

Gilbert__ I wasn't sure, at first, whether you were chastizing me or the person who attacked me, but it eventually bercame clear. Kevin (oh yes, there were two, weren't there?) doesn't like me, anywhere, anytime, anything I have to say.

IT'S RIPKEN! NOT RIPKIN...

Old 03-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shellyjaffe

You tell me not to put up things that have nothing to do with pre world war 2 and look at this.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

Some one has waaaay too much time on their hands when they pull up old threads from years ago.