NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Thanks for your responses

deleted original message, as I really don't want to endanger a person's job . . . . . . .

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-16-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:32 PM
David M.

No, I've never seen that. I did a quick search and found the following:

There are a number of exceptions and exclusions to the general gifts rule. Postal Service employees may accept the following items:
Snacks and beverages that are not offered as part of a meal.
Items with little intrinsic value (i.e., greeting cards, plaques, pens, coffee mugs, etc.).
Perishable items (i.e., flowers, chocolates, cookies, etc.); if the items are clearly worth more than $20, employees should share them with others in the Postal Service workplace.
Items with a market (retail) value of $20 or less.
Gifts motivated solely because of a personal relationship.
Gifts for which the employee has paid market (retail) value.
Gifts paid for by the Postal Service.

Postal Service employees may not accept cash - in any amount or form (bills, checks, money orders) - from an outside source.

So it sounds like they are breaking the rules by setting up a tip jar.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Don't want to get anyone is trouble, but has anyone (besides me) seen this? Totally serious. I have no issue giving some young kid making my coffee a tip, or even the underpaid young girl at the deli who I know is getting a crappy hourly wage, but a career postal employee? Really? Seems a little crazy, as I'm sure this person is drawing a decent salary. Actually really really like the individual doing this, just seems a little nuts.

I'd just ignore it...hard to believe their supervisor would be okay with it though.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Here's a tip buy Honda stock !
Old 02-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Don't want to get anyone is trouble, but has anyone (besides me) seen this? Totally serious. I have no issue giving some young kid making my coffee a tip, or even the underpaid young girl at the deli who I know is getting a crappy hourly wage, but a career postal employee? Really? Seems a little crazy, as I'm sure this person is drawing a decent salary. Actually really really like the individual doing this, just seems a little nuts.
WOW, that is crazy. Postal workers are among the most overpaid people on the planet as far as unskilled laborers go.

I do not feel that way about the carriers, they deserve every penny they get.

Last edited by bnorth; 02-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:39 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Wow! Never seen that and I'm at the post office a lot. Funny stuff!
Old 02-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I gave my carrier the allowed $20 gift this year for great service, and he really appreciated it and I was happy to do it. But to face a tip cup every time I come in for some stamps or to drop a package off? Dunno . . . seems a bit much.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:56 PM
GaryPassamonte

Instead of being a tip jar it was probably loose change left by customers similar to what is on retail counters in many places to be used by other customers. It is highly unlikely there would be a tip jar in any Post Office. The clerks and/or local management would be on the hot seat for that one.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Instead of being a tip jar it was probably loose change left by customers similar to what is on retail counters in many places to be used by other customers. It is highly unlikely there would be a tip jar in any Post Office. The clerks and/or local management would be on the hot seat for that one.
That's what I assumed for the last year . . .then I looked at it and noticed there were always a few singles taped to the inside perimeter of the cup. And it was fully of quarters.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-15-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I think I would ask the postmaster their opinion on if they feel that falls under the guidelines. I personally find it appalling.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Never seen that. What's next? Tip jars on the dealer's tables at the card show.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
An auction house invoice with a catalog description writer's gratuity itemized along with the vig.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I volunteer at a non-profit art gallery and during an artists' reception where there was free food and wine for the guests, a guy put a tip in an empty flower vase someone had left on the concessions table I and a woman were working at. I told him that it wasn't a tip jar and that we were were volunteers who didn't even accept/want tips. But there was a crowd and he was too embarrassed to reach in and take out the money in front of everyone. So we treated it as a donation to the gallery.

Last edited by drcy; 02-15-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
I gave my carrier the allowed $20 gift this year for great service, and he really appreciated it and I was happy to do it. But to face a tip cup every time I come in for some stamps or to drop a package off? Dunno . . . seems a bit much.
+1 ! - I give my carrier $50 every Christmas

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

at funeral homes?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:27 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
at funeral homes?
At a briss...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
At a briss...
...nah, the Mohel already has a jar of Tips.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Tips

Tips are absolutely not accepted. Someone could get fired for that. Gifts over $20 should not be accepted, but with the carriers, the transaction is never reported to the anyone, so it does happen.

As a Postmaster, I don't accept any gifts, except for the occasional plate of cookies or candy that is brought in by a customer, and I always share that with my employees. During this last Xmas season a customer sent me a card with $20, and rather than offend this customer by returning it (he insisted that I keep it), I donated the $20 to a local food bank in the name of the Post Office.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Glad everyone saw this as wacky as I did. Out of an abundance of caution I am going to delete the title of this thread because I really don't want to endanger someone's livelihood over something so ridiculous, particularly a nice person.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:00 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

My "mail lady" Virginia is awesome! And at Christmas I give her a $20 gift certificate to our local diner (the max gift she can accept). She wrote me a nice thank you card (sent through the mail with a stamp) this lady is squeaky clean LOL!

"As always, I enjoy the job I do and it is my pleasure serving you throughout the year!"

Larry