NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Default CardTarget Future

Hi everybody, thanks for your support of CardTarget. As you likely have seen we haven't added any sets for 4-5 months now as we've been trying to figure out some ownership and logistical issues.

We will be shutting down our eTopps business in June and this leaves us with only the vintage price history.

We, the owners and operators of CardTarget have reached a point in our lives where our participation cannot be as active as is required in order to run and grow the site (we grew up, had kids, and now have much more responsibility in our "real" jobs and family lives).

So I ask you two questions today:

Is there enough interest in CardTarget's vintage price history to put in the effort required to grow the site, add new sets and prices, and keep it alive? Is this a service that you would pay a small amount for?

and

Is there anyone out there interested in buying and/or running the site?

The amount of effort we have put into the custom coding, classifying, and specialized vintage card programming is staggering. We have over 100 sets, have classified nearly 2 Million auctions with images, we have over 7800 registered accounts and many daily users of our vintage price history. We would love to see the site expand and be placed into capable hands.

Please email me with questions: mike@cardtarget.com

Thanks,

Mike Masinick
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I would be surprised if you couldn't keep the site going and make money off the site using advertising.

If you did charge users you would then be competing with VCP that already has a following and more sets. So you would have to get all the sets on there that VCP has on there if you wanted to charge what they charge, but you may be able to charge a lot less or come up with a different pricing structure that still allures people to your site.

I would hate to see it go, but I understand the work behind it. I tried to help with a set but even though it isn't "hard" work it still does take time and my family always was rewarded the time.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Jimmy

Default CardTarget Future

CardTarget's vintage price history is a great feature and I use it at least once a week. I understand how you feel, had to place my goals with the hobby on hold due to family and work. There should be enough interest to keep the site going and you guys have done a great job.

Thanks Jimmy
Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Greg Mitchell

Certainly hope you can keep going. Super valuable. Would pay small monthly fee in future.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Todd Schultz

Best of luck to you. I would pay a small monthly fee, as I find your service invaluable.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Brian J0hns0n

Please do whatever it takes to keep the site active, even if it requires a small fee. I use it often and find it very helpful. I tried VCP but did not like it at all...CardTarget is much better in my opinion.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default site

The site is very good. Much easier to navigate and search that VCP. I would certainly pay a small user fee monthly to keep it going.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunst View Post
Please do whatever it takes to keep the site active, even if it requires a small fee. I use it often and find it very helpful. I tried VCP but did not like it at all...CardTarget is much better in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
The site is very good. Much easier to navigate and search that VCP. I would certainly pay a small user fee monthly to keep it going.
what these guys said... I'd be in for a subscription.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Barry Arnold

Default future

You do a great job and I'd hate to see you go.
With the others, I'd be glad to help with a small fee.
all the best in your decision,
barry
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Greg Mitchell

you could also, to save hours of work, cap the number of sets you're at now and just update recent sales...
Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Steven H.

I'm an experienced programmer by trade and would be willing to donate some of my time to help with the day-to-days' of the site. It is much easier to navigate than VCP just needs a lot more sets added. Feel free to contact me shernan30@gmail.com
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 06-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shernan30 View Post
I'm an experienced programmer by trade and would be willing to donate some of my time to help with the day-to-days' of the site. It is much easier to navigate than VCP just needs a lot more sets added. Feel free to contact me shernan30@gmail.com
Same here - let me know if I can help.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Dan Marke1

Mike,

I still use the cert run feature and I've been forever grateful for you offering that program free of charge. I'd hate to see that go.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Thanks for the support everybody! I've gotten a lot of emails, questions, and introductions, so hopefully we'll be able to figure out how to keep the site going.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post

+1

Also I've used the price history to find cards used in a few scams, most recently the fake Magie's and pink ghosts. Your site was key to getting them off the market.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Bill Gregory

I use Card Target several times a week. I'd definitely be willing to pay a small monthly fee to keep it going.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Don't go! I just discovered your site after getting back into the hobby. I would be fine with a subscription fee as well.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:19 AM

It's a very nice site, which I use on occasion. There def is overlap with the data collated by VCP, though at times the presentation of that data is easier with CardTarget. I pay for VCP, so by similar thought would consider paying for CardTarget too. One thing that would help would be to better delineate (ie promote) the advantages and differences of your site over VCP.

Thanks,
--S
Old 06-03-2014, 05:44 PM
N.ate A.dams

I used to sign up for VCP, but consider their annual fee to be unmerited, by a wide margin, so I refused to pay it.

They charge $179 for an annual membership, and I think it's really about 75-100$ more than what they should charge. For example, Morningstar.com charges less for a yearly membership for all that they offer.

I bet starting out, especially if you added a lot more vintage sets, and only focused on pre-1960 or something close to that, you would find quite a niche, and be able to charge up to $50-70 annually, or 8-10$ monthly. I'd pay for vintage only if it were $50-70.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone206 View Post
Why not leave it as-is and still add to it with volunteers? Those volunteers would pick the set/s that interest them. You could have a number of people working on T206 split up alphabetically for example or one month on/off.
I was just going to suggest this. If it was possible you could have "experts" in other sets add to the database.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Jeff Lowe

I use it at least once a week myself . Maybe it is a goofy idea but what if it were made into an APP for inexpensive user fee ?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Henry Shrimps
Banned

You need to get revenue from ads not subscriptions. Subscription model will not take you anywhere. Majority of people who "promised" they are willing to pay now won't pay at the end. Trust me on this!!! I have extensive experience on internet market research, even u have 7k subscribers now u would be lucky to have 1% of people paying you.

Don't even think about having volunteers to help out, you better off shutting down the site that way.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshrimps View Post
Majority of people who "promised" they are willing to pay now won't pay at the end.

Don't even think about having volunteers to help out, you better off shutting down the site that way.
I agree.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 PM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

For what it's worth...I love the site and use it quite often. Who needs jobs and families? Get your priorities straight!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:00 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
I agree.
+1

VCP has a lock on the subscription-based model. Advertising is your only way to go. Managing volunteers, regardless of the best of intentions, sounds like a logistical nightmare.