NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Default Please Say a Prayer for the Son of Jay Wolt...and Consider Contributing

Posted By: JimCrandell

Jay Wolt is a well-known card dealer in New Jersey(jaycos@qualitycards.com) who is as honest a dealer and as fine a person as they come. His 2nd son just set foot in Iraq for a 15-month engagement--Army Airbourne 101st. His eldest is just out of the Marines after serving his country bravely--I believe in Afghanistan.

Thank God for boys like Jay's sons who are serving their country bravely and for people like Jay who have instilled the right set of values in them.

In honor of them, Keith Conforti and myself are each contributing $100 in Jay and his sons names to Vetfund--a Veterans Educational and Training Fund to help veterans upon their return to the U.S.(www.vetfund.com). The actual fund was chosen by Jay once I told him what we were going to do.

Please consider making a contribution. As I said it will be in Jay and sons names. If you would like to send it to me, I will send all the checks in in a couple of weeks and recognize the contributors(for info on this pls e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com.

Thank you for your consideration.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jim

Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

I echo wholeheartedly the comments about Jay and his sons.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I am thankful for the Wolt family service along with all those that serve this country. Jay has been a friend to me for many years. His sons are an inspiration.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Jim, Peter & Brian - Appreciate the words of support.
Although I was surprised to see a thread about it.
Hope everyone here on Net 54 has a great Thanksgiving...jay

Old 11-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Jay is one of the best friends I've ever had, and his generosity to my son has known no bounds.
Jeremy served a tour in Afghanistan, and just as he made it home Corey was deployed to Iraq.
Whatever your views on on this war (and I'm sure mine are among the most liberal) both of these young men have answered a call to duty that benefits all of us. I"ll gladly pitch in $100 to this fund, and will continue to think positive thoughts for Corey (and Jay, Carole and Jeremy) every day until he's safely home.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Keith,

That's a might nice gesture. Jay, I hope your sons return home safe and sound. Bless them for their service.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Keith and Jim, I think this is a terrific idea. I am pleased to make a $100 donation in honor of Jeremy, Corey, Jay AND don't forget Jay's lovely wife Carole. My family and I will always be in their debt.

Frank

Old 11-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Thanks to all who have agreed to contribute so far. While you are welcome to send the money directly to the charity it might be best to send directly to me with the check made out to the charity so it can be given as one gift.

Also, don't feel like $100 is the suggested gift. Any gift is welcome.

Jim

Old 11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal Kane

Jay is one of my best friends in the hobby. Outside of the hobby as well. My son calls him Mr.Jay out of respect. Carole is a sweetheart.

I have had the privelege of meeting both of Jay's boys on several occasions -- two great kids. I know that Jay and Carole are proud of them.

Jay, ya done good.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: GoSoxBoSox

Great idea and I'm very happy to contribute!!!

Old 11-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i am honored to say that Jay Wolt is a very good friend of mine...i have also had the pleasure of meeting his sons many times, they are gentlemen...i wish them and the Wolt family all the best!

MS

Old 11-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Jay is everybody's friend...mine too. As always, I wish the very best to him and Carole, Jeremy and Corey.

-Al

Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

As a former member of the Armed Forces, I know what it is like to be a scared young man, separated by family/loved ones in harm's way.

I consider Jay a true friend and I am pleased to make a donation on behalf of Jeremy and Corey Wolt. These two men are heroes!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith Conforti

Wonderful selection! Supporting our troops is a noble cause and having the opportunity to show appreciation to Jay's family simultaneously is very special for me.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: KirkRobinson

Jeremy and Corey Wolt. These two men are heroes!

Truer words were never spoken.

Growing up my hero's were Mays, Mantle, Aaron.
Now that I am a father and a little wiser the young men of the Armed Forces
have replaced them and then some.

I also include the soldier's families.
Such sacrifices one and all, of which I am unbelievably grateful for!

I would be more than honored to make a contribution.

Thank you Wolt family!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Dimand

The Wolt's are the heros. Happy and priviledged to be part of this. We could do so much more for our veterans and their families, the real heros. I'm pushing our local congress and senate dudes to provide every returning veteran a free college education, ala WWII. They have earned it, and then some.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Robert,

That is a very interesting idea and one I have not heard. I think I would support that.

Thanks for contributing. I do not know Jay's wife but given the frequent mentioning of her name, I will make all the donations in the name of Jay, his wife and their two brave sons. I would ask those who contribute directly to Vetfunds to do this as well.

Jim

Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tom mcconnell

is the funds limited to 100.00 can someone give more or a little less and where would we send the funds to. i have mixed feelings about the war but i have lost 2 friends there

Old 11-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Tom,

You can give whatever you like.

If you wish to contribute, make the check out to VetFunds and send it to me(e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com for mailing address) or directly to vetfunds whose address can be found at vetfunds.com

Jim

Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator

I am sending in checks today from myself, Al Richter, Vic Stanley and Peter Spaeth totalling $500 to vetfunds in the names of Jay, his wife and his two brave sons. I assume others who said they would contribute have sent the money directly to Vetfunds.

Thank you to those that contributed.

Jim

Old 12-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Somewhat germane to this discussion:

A few years ago; my beloved Alma Mater (Columbia) hosted a forum and one of the speakers basically said (I'm not quoting here and going from memory -- so forgive me if not everything is cited properly) that all American troops in Iraq should be treated the same way the soldiers were in the situation that was immortalized in Black Hawk down. At the time I was chatting on line with another of the players in my trivia game, who is a UCAL leftist (putting that midly) and he was appalled beyond belief at those words spouted.

That appalled me and what was worse, was the GUTLESS president of Columbia (Lee Bollinger) stood behind this nitwit and spouted some words about academic freedom; etc. No disciplinary actions were ever taken against this professor or the professors who believe in anti-semitism (there were several articles about this subject in the NY Times as well)

My point is, regardless of what your political beliefs are -- that the one group of people who need to be supported no matter what are our troops. Are they all perfect, um no. But it was not their decision to fight the war but it is their job to protect us and serve us and in that way they need our support.

I don't have the $$ to help out right now; I do other charitible things for groups I actively participate in; but anything you can do to help the troops who are far away is appreciated. One thing that I can do, if I have not thrown out the damned item -- is to give away my old cell phone-- held together by tape but still works -- so a soldier can make a 20 mintue call home for the holidays. You don't need a lot of $$ to do something nice for someone overseas. So if you can't afford the $100 -- donate an old cell phone -- trust me; the soldier would appreciate being to call home.

Regards
Rich

Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Whoops-more money coming in--I will hold off sending in the check for another week. Pls e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com for my address.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Rich, you make a great point. For or against the war, our troops are just implementing the policy that has been given to them. That they would put their lives on the line still boggles the mind. And I further agree with you 100 percent about Bollinger at Columbia. He's a craven, publicity-seeking, coward with double standards.