NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2024, 03:11 PM

Default Identifying w529 Tendler Card

Hi everyone:
I'm new to the forum. I've been a Top Rated eBay seller for many years, but haven't ventured outside that venue.

I came across this PSA graded Tendler card. It is listed as a W529-6, which it is not. It is not a big head. It appears similar to the W529-2, but there is no copyright or card number, and it has the red back.

Does anyone know what card this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan2024-02-26_1610425.jpg (174.6 KB, 343 views)
Old 02-26-2024, 05:14 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Adam?
Old 02-26-2024, 05:47 PM

Not Adam. Laurie
Old 02-26-2024, 07:01 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I mean Adam should be able to answer the question if he sees this. Welcome to the forum, Laurie.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:31 PM

Oh! Funny
Old 02-26-2024, 07:52 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Spike might also be of assistance here as he has done some research on the various W529 types as well.

Welcome to the boards Laurie. I'm not surprised PSA labeled this wrong, but really? It's not even close to a type 6.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-26-2024, 08:45 PM
Frank Wakefield

Welcome, Laurie. I hope our occasional insensitivity doesn't offend you nor chase you away.

There's a fellow on the board here named Adam. He definitely knows a right smart about old boxing cards.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Type 2 or Type 3. Tendler was a lefty so the image is reversed. The red seems to have overwhelmed the IFC copyright and the number is missing from the card. Alternatively might be short an ink pass. Type 2 has the same numbers as Type 1 with reversed images, Type 3 has reversed images and reversed numbers. Odds are it is a 3 since 2's are really tough to find.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-27-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:00 PM
Matthew Glidden

Hi Laurie, you found an interesting Tendler card, no question. I bet the submitter interpreted Lew's _lack of number_ as a primary reason for picking W529-6.

Adam Warshaw set the path for W529 subsets and shows W529s alongside many others on his "Boxing Card Strip Gallery" page.

https://imageevent.com/exhibitman/en...rabiliaforsale

Here's what to expect for W529 Tendler cards, to the best of my knowledge.

* W529-1: #5, Lew faces left, handwritten name, blue background, ©IFC on image
* W529-2: #5, Lew faces right, handwritten name, blue background, reverse ©IFC on image
* W529-3: #6, Lew faces right, handwritten name, blue background, reverse ©IFC on image
* W529-4: #55, Lew faces left, typeset name, red/blue ink, ©IFC on image
* W529-5: #55, Lew faces right, typeset name, red/blue ink, reverse ©IFC on image
* W529-6: "big head," no #, hand drawn, name on image, darker "jewel" colors, no ©
* W529-7: "big head," no #, hand drawn, name on image, lighter "pastel" colors, no ©
* W529-8: no #, Lew faces left, name on image, orange/blue ink, no ©

Notice _your_ Lew Tendler has its own, different characteristics.

* No #, Lew faces right, handwritten name, bright red background, no © mark

I _have_ seen similar characteristics on these contemporary strip sets and have long wondered about the "missing" strip of ten numbers between them.

* Hollywood actors #1-20 (bright colors, handwritten names, no ©)
* W522 baseball #31-50 (bright colors, handwritten names, no ©)

My research points to one company, Universal Toy & Novelty Co., printing a variety of strip card subjects and baseball, boxing, and Hollywood make up the majority of their output. It's possible your Tendler's part of a strip that fills a gap between WUNC Hollywood #1-20 and W522 baseball #31-50, which would put it outside W529s altogether, at least as cataloged by grading companies. Since it lacks a clear number, that's conjecture based on its other similarities.

This page from my blog proposes the sequence for those strips. See if you think Tendler fits their mold. Would be great to fill that gap!

https://www.number5typecollection.co...y-company.html

UPDATE: Looks like Adam responded while I was typing, so adding one more comment. He's seen such a broad range, best to go with what he says. I remain _hopeful_ you found something new that connects a gap seen between other sets.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.

Last edited by Spike; 02-26-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:42 AM
Matthew Glidden

@Tonemonster-1 Have other W529s or boxers like this one, in case you found something new or unusual?

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.

Last edited by Spike; 02-27-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:43 PM

Default Thank you

Everybody, thank you for your responses and welcomes. Right after I posted my question I got sick, and haven't been able to even see the responses until today. I have several questions. I will post them here and if no one answers, I will ask in response to each of your individual posts.
1. Do you think I should sell as is noting Spike's information (edited) or attempt to have PSA re-case it?
1a. If I do the above, Spike, do I have your permission to quote your language?
2. I want this card to go to the right person and I don't think that person is on eBay? Does anyone know someone who might want to purchase it and take through the paces? The card is a friend of mine's, who sent me a bunch of his cards to sell off. If this is rare card, I think he would be happy getting a decent price and letting it go to a collector who can keep it and put it in it's proper place, assuming it is that rare card Adam mentioned.
3. As a note, I have looked very closely and it doesn't not appear there was ever a number or a copyright mark, so I don't think it is a 2 or 3.
4. Frank, no worries about offending me. Born in Queens, raised in Miami!
Thanks again for all of your comments.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:26 AM
Matthew Glidden

You're safest taking Adam's advice on W529s, in particular when dealing with grading companies, given his experience with all the subtypes. I did some additional searching in case you _do_ want to get it reholdered.

W529-6 cards should be hand-drawn, like the Tendler facing left. It's certain your card _isn't_ a -6, since it uses a more realistic photo style.

I searched for more W529-3s and matched its red background to the attached group of W529-3 cards from a past auction. Groups sold together often came from the same original strip and others in that group _do_ show numbers and reversed ©.

As Adam said, cards from that series can fail to print details, due to low quality of production. Tendler would be #6 on its strip of ten, between #7 Beckett and #5 Fulton. If you look close at those three cards, you can see how Tendler's edge cuts fits between them.

Looks like this "W529-6" should be W529-3 #6. Tough to say what it might sell for in the proper PSA Authentic holder. Perhaps $20? Apologies if my earlier notes hyped you for more! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonemonster-1 View Post
Everybody, thank you for your responses and welcomes. Right after I posted my question I got sick, and haven't been able to even see the responses until today. I have several questions. I will post them here and if no one answers, I will ask in response to each of your individual posts.
1. Do you think I should sell as is noting Spike's information (edited) or attempt to have PSA re-case it?
1a. If I do the above, Spike, do I have your permission to quote your language?
2. I want this card to go to the right person and I don't think that person is on eBay? Does anyone know someone who might want to purchase it and take through the paces? The card is a friend of mine's, who sent me a bunch of his cards to sell off. If this is rare card, I think he would be happy getting a decent price and letting it go to a collector who can keep it and put it in it's proper place, assuming it is that rare card Adam mentioned.
3. As a note, I have looked very closely and it doesn't not appear there was ever a number or a copyright mark, so I don't think it is a 2 or 3.
4. Frank, no worries about offending me. Born in Queens, raised in Miami!
Thanks again for all of your comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W526-6-Tendler.jpg (26.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg W529-3-multiple.jpg (95.0 KB, 132 views)

Old 03-05-2024, 02:41 PM

Thanks so much! You all have been a great help.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:45 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Here are my examples of these sheets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920_w529-8.jpg (194.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Gary, may I say:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-06-2024, 10:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice. One of those looks vaguely familiar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Here are my examples of these sheets.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:08 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Thanks, Adam.

Yep, Leon, you used to own one of them.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:59 PM

So are we in agreement it is a W529-3?
Old 03-06-2024, 06:00 PM

Default glchen

Beautiful cards.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:47 PM
Matthew Glidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonemonster-1 View Post
So are we in agreement it is a W529-3?
Yep! Agreed with Adam it's W529-3 and would be #6 if the cheap printing hadn't left off its number.

Tags
lew tendler, w529 question, wrong psa tag