NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2024, 10:02 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Addie Joss T206 SBC card

Saw the beginning of Probstein's live auction yesterday and he was touting this Addie Joss card that was listed last night. I don't collect T cards but it's a pretty card.

He was saying that SBC was the predecessor to SGC. Can't recall seeing more than one or two SBC cards before. Just curious if this is accurate and what time period this would have been when SBC was grading card? Flip looks ancient. Would you have any concerns about SBC cards generally or this card in particular?

(Disclosure: not my card, don't know the consignor, and have no plans to buy it. The SBC angle just piqued my attention, and it's a nice card.)

No one can bitch at me for outing this, as we all know there is not a single person on the board who consider in a million years bidding in one of Rick's auctions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37527359996...3Avlp_homepage

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-25-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:13 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Not the original SGC but I have heard of them previously

Sports Collectors Digest has a small blurb on them here :

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/c...sgc-dominating

they state that SBC was an acronym for Superlative Baseball Card Certification

Dont believe that this particular card would regrade at an 8.5 but it does appear to be quite nice.....

Yep - had to put a bid in on it
Old 02-24-2024, 11:00 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Not the original SGC but I have heard of them previously

Sports Collectors Digest has a small blurb on them here :

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/c...sgc-dominating

they state that SBC was an acronym for Superlative Baseball Card Certification

Dont believe that this particular card would regrade at an 8.5 but it does appear to be quite nice.....

Yep - had to put a bid in on it
Fun article. It was definitely nice to see that even Joe admits that grades are just an opinion, and cards at any given grade will not all be the same.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-24-2024, 01:46 PM
Val Kehl

Steve, it has long been my understanding that SBC was the predecessor to SGC. And, as I read it, the July 9, 2020, article in SCD that Lonnie references in his post above seems to confirm this, as follows: "Superlative Baseball Card Certification (SBC) was another one of the original card-grading companies in the 1980s ... SBC ended up selling to coin company NGC, which was owned by the guys who started SGC." I've had this one SBC slabbed card in my colection for as long as I can remember:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N172 Connie Mack throwing - front.jpg (126.4 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg N172 Connie Mack throwing - back.jpg (154.5 KB, 529 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Very cool.

Interesting to read about them.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:38 PM
P.aul Orl,in

They were reputedly a quality company back in the early grading days. I bought this Gretzky rookie from them, and i do think they were a predecessor to SGC. Same numerical grading scheme, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5542.jpg (195.2 KB, 504 views)
Old 02-24-2024, 03:44 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

The only thing that I can contribute is that the current SGC does not honor the grades for a reholder (nor should they). This was a topic of conversation many years ago that I recall.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Luke Lyon

Did you really think his last name was Ross? I would just assume typo normally but the R and J keys are pretty far away.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Did you really think his last name was Ross? I would just assume typo normally but the R and J keys are pretty far away.
Heaven to Betsy, I believe he did!

Brian
Old 02-24-2024, 10:00 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Maybe he just came from a Japanese class.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:02 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

It’s Ross in the title of the thread too.

Maybe his favorite character on “Friends” is Joss?
Old 02-25-2024, 05:37 AM
Fred

Anybody want to guess what the grade would be if an attempt was made to cross it over with SGC or PSA?
Old 02-25-2024, 09:59 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

Or he may have just watched True Grit, and confused Addie Joss with Mattie Ross.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 02-25-2024, 12:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Or he may have just watched True Grit, and confused Addie Joss with Mattie Ross.

Steve
Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to what I was typing on my phone sitting on a train.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-25-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Looks like more people commented about my typo on his name than on the substance of my post. Tells you pretty much everything you need to know about social media and internet communications. Never EVER let an opportunity to pass buy without trying to making a person feel stupid. No matter how minor the point is. That's the best feeling of all.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:04 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Looks like more people commented about my typo on his name than on the substance of my post. Tells you pretty much everything you need to know about social media and internet communications. Never EVER let an opportunity to pass buy without trying to making a person feel stupid. No matter how minor the point is. That's the best feeling of all.
Okay...
I recall SBC being set up at either the Aneheim, Arlington or Atlanta National way back in the very early 1990's. It was a couple collectors (Kevin Strauss {not Struss} maybe?) that were trying to start a standardised grading system and make it into a business. You would occaisionally see nicer looking cards in their holders for well above market value at shows during that time but the idea of paid grading wasn't well received until later in the decade when the registry gimmick was implemented and the PSA dick swingers found their outlet. That card is nice but it has the flat/washed out 350 series print quality. Find an image of what a nice clean 150 series back looks like and compare. Was that helpful?

Last edited by boneheadandrube; 02-25-2024 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-25-2024, 01:34 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

I think we were just having a bit of fun; no malice was intended. We've all had typos like that.

Regarding SBC: I remember having three or so Pre-WWII cards from them way back when.....

I sent them in for crossover at PSA, and they all crossed at the same grade.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 02-25-2024, 01:55 PM

Like Steve said, no harm intended. I just know more about Betsy Ross and her flag making tendencies than I do about that old SBC graded card company (though I have seen those labels before).

Brian
Old 02-25-2024, 06:13 PM
Fred

Quote:
Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention to what I was typing on my phone sitting on a train.
Really Steve, you were on the train... does that mean the only time you want to spend anytime posting to the rest of us is when you're on a train, when you're bored, with nothing better to do?

Well, I figured you know the difference between Addie Ross and Joss... At least you didn't type Attie Ross. Saul Goodman!

For the record, I'd take either pitcher and if anybody is looking for vintage cards of those two without breaking the bank, try the 1940 Play Ball cards. Yeah, it's past their playing days, but the cards are still over 80 years old.

EDITED TO ADD - Any guesses on what the crossover would be for that T206 Johnson (assuming PSA or SGC)?

Last edited by Fred; 02-25-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:56 PM
Fred

Is anybody still watching this card?

Does anybody think that this card can get a cross-over to PSA or SGC or CGC? If so, what's the prediction for cross-over?
Old 03-02-2024, 03:28 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Is anybody still watching this card?

Does anybody think that this card can get a cross-over to PSA or SGC or CGC? If so, what's the prediction for cross-over?
Ask the consigner who tried and failed!
Old 03-02-2024, 04:31 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Ask the consigner who tried and failed!
Now that's funny!
Old 03-06-2024, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a really nice card, Val!
I am sure I have owned some SBC cards in the past. I don't remember if the grades were accurate, so they probably were. (or I would remember)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Steve, it has long been my understanding that SBC was the predecessor to SGC. And, as I read it, the July 9, 2020, article in SCD that Lonnie references in his post above seems to confirm this, as follows: "Superlative Baseball Card Certification (SBC) was another one of the original card-grading companies in the 1980s ... SBC ended up selling to coin company NGC, which was owned by the guys who started SGC." I've had this one SBC slabbed card in my colection for as long as I can remember: