NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Elliot

I know it's still 3 months away, but some of us need to make long range plans. First, who's going? , and if you are planning to attend, will you be bringing your family?

So that we will be able to identify each other, Scott has offered to make up name tags with "VBBCF" on it. Scott's been thinking up some good ideas for these, and if you have seen some of his previous creations I'm sure they will come out fabulous!!!! I'll let Scott talk about these in some more detail.

Perhaps posters who live in Chicago can suggest a good time and place for all of us to get out for something to eat and drink. Plus, I hear rumblings that Pete is having an "A" list get-together.

Let's see what we can get organized to ensure that we all have a great time.

Old 05-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Chicago is my home town, and I will certainly go if I have the money.

Old 05-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Andy Baran

I will be there, without my family. My wife will need to stay home with the newborn (due 6/23). I'm pretty new to Chicago, so I'll let Pete make the suggestions for gathering places.

Old 05-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: scott

Can't wait, especially since I haven't been to a card show in over ten years, and then it was to buy '67 Philadelphia gum cards!

The Windy City is one of the funnest towns around - I will be there for the entire week, staying downtown at a friend's place, so if anyone wants to get together early, I'll be out most every night looking for beer and music!

Details on name tags to come.

Old 05-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: scott brockelman

i will be at the national wed thru sun at table #1541 with the largest group of vintage cards i have ever offered at any national, many near or complete sets i will be breaking up, along with my usual array of tougher type cards. most of the people will stay across the street in one of the many larger national hotels. i suggest we have a get together there, and as usual i offer my booth to anyone as home base. everyone's buddy, leon, will be there as well.

scott

Old 05-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: brian

If I can cancel some buisness meetings than I will attend my first National in over 12 years, my how time flies. I look forward to meeting as many board members as possible, as well as buying some nice T206's. I have many friends in Chi-town and visit 3-4 times a year, so I will be happy to list some great restaurants and bars. Too bad the Cubbies are on the road,now I will have to push may annual pilgrimage to Wrigley off for a month. I did noticie the Sox are in town the whole week, The Halos during the week and Seattle on the weekend, but New Cominsky isn't Wrigley, and Murphy's isn't near by. Look forward to the Show, Golf, and the 100's of great restaurants in the great town within the big city. be well brian

Old 05-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: HalleyGator

It will be my FIRST real card show ever, and I am pumped!!

I won't recognize anyone, so I will definitely need a name tag.

When the time gets nearer, I will be sure that I know where to go to meet everyone, since I don't know Chicago at all.

Old 05-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Can anyone tell me the dates and venue?

Jeff

Old 05-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: petecld

YES!!!!, as we speak, well, type, I am calling around and looking for a place to eat and meet. I want to check out a few places first. All "A" list people are invited.

Who is on the "A" list you ask? If you are "A" contributor to this board, you are on the "A" list and you are all officially invited.

I was thinking Thursday night, Aug. 9th we all meet for dinner. Easier to get reervations than Friday night.

If interested, Friday night there is a White Sox vs Seattle game. Cubs are out of town that week so we will have to settle for the "other" Chicago team.

Saturday night is open for any kind of fun you wish to have. Email me with your idea of fun, don't be shy, and I'll be glad to suggest places to go. Since the Cubs are out of town the Wrigleyville area is a great spot to have a good time but not for families with youngsters.

I will want to get a sense of how many people will be able to attend and also the age range for those who will/may have youngsters with them. Let me know as soon as humanly possible. I realize it's 3 months away but that time will go by fast.

The show is in Rosemont, IL which is the NW suburbs of Chicago, near O'Hare airport. Plenty of hotels, email me if you need any help finding one.

Elliot, Scott - If you need help putting anything together, let me know.

Old 05-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: vorthian

I'll be there.

Old 05-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: jay behrens

If my brother goes, then I will prolly tag along. Last National I was at was also the last one I set up at in SF in 1987, so it's been 15 years for me.

Jay

Old 05-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Brian Hodes

I live in Chicago (but no Rosemont) so I might be able to help Pete organize if necessary. The last national I was at was also in Chicago (or was it Rosemont??).
There is a great (pricey) steakhouse out in Rosemont literally across the street from the show we could consider doing something there.

Anyway I hope to meet many of you there and put faces to names as they say.

Old 05-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Uhg! Steak But then I am not a big fan of eatting beef. Besides, pricey steakhouses tend to have serverly overrated food in most cases. Morton's of Chicago is the first place that comes to mind. Personally, I love local greasy spoons. Honest food that usually comes in good sized portions at a reasonable price.

If I eat out at 'fancy' restuarant, I want something I can't, or rarely, make at home, which isn't much if I have the right ingrediants. Which will also prove to be a big problem moving from the produce capitol of the world (CA) to frozen MN.

Jay

Old 05-05-2002, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Default The National

I think a Thursday night get together would be GREAT ... especially if it was somewhere near Rosemont ... since anyone with a VIP pass to the show will be at the show on Thursday.

PS - I eat anything.

Old 05-05-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: warshawlaw

If I can get away, I will. I should know better in a couple of weeks if this case I have scheduled to try that month is going away.

I have relatives in the area and will probably end up visiting with them if they can put me up. I don't think I'm going to bring my family with me, though, because the cost and complications are just too much. I can crash on a cousin's couch and live on poptarts and beef jerky for a few days, so to speak; my wife and kid can't (well, won't).

The only real complication is getting there. You see, I am afraid of flying (really) and don't know if I can actually get on a plane flight of more than an hour's duration. My reach is really about San Francisco or Phoenix (and I only did that one to get to sit in field level seats at the BOB--awesome park, BTW).

Old 05-05-2002, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: leon

Well the way things are going I might not have grass around the house but am planning on being there. How could I miss a chance to meet fellow board members and other addicts? I would vote for meeting somewhere less than a fancy steakhouse. I vote for a place where we can all socialize more than sit down to a fancy dinner. Shoot, depending on where the Nationals are in relation to Wrigley I could grab a couple cases of cold ones, some hot dogs, and cigars and gossip more than anyone just hanging around the ole ballpark...great nostalgia. That's just an example and not necessarily a real suggestion as there might be laws there against drinking in public or whatever, but ya'll get the idea. Even one of the hotel bars would be great. I think about 2 of the 3 nights last year Scott and I just got drunk in the downstairs hotel bar and crashed after waddling back to our rooms....(well, I waddled I wasn't really watching him ) more thoughts on the ideas would be great and I think this is a good thread for them....regards all (and I promise I don't say that in person)

Old 05-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: John

im going to next years show because its only a short car ride away,so i hope everyone enjoys the show this year so they all show up for next years show in AC.Its better that im not going this year so i can save money but would like to meet people from the board....i might rent out a room next year and charge people in cards instead of money

Old 05-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

I'll be working in Costa Rica...

Hey Scott, how 'bout some vintage "promo" cards for your fellow board members?...

Good Luck !

Old 05-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: jeff

I will be there. This is the one advantage of moving from NYC to Madison, Wisconsin, which I will be doing late July, just in time to go to the show. And, if y'all are lucky, my lovely significant other will tag along.

Jeff Sackmann

Old 05-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default The National

watch out for the monkeys down there.

Jay

Old 05-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Brett Domue

I'll be there (no family this time).

Brett

Brett Domue
okeedokee@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm

Old 05-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and the show opens Thursday, I want to be at the show on Thursday!

The only thing alchoholic i drink is single malt scotch in small quantities.

Ahhh...it probably won't happen...

Old 05-05-2002, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: runscott

:)

Old 05-06-2002, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Default The National

I'm buying you a drink ... since I use your HOF "checklist" website every day!!!

Old 05-06-2002, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: runscott

I will bring something to the National - don't know what or how yet. Something with a board logo on the back.

Regarding the "badges" - it will be something low profile, just so we can spot each other and say "hello". I personally don't like wearing name-tags,etc., but the alternative is if you miss any planned get-togethers, don't have a table, don't wear an identifier, you won't meet anyone else in the same situation.

Old 05-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: leon

Just ask Tom B.....last year I was camping out at Scott's table....a guy came up with some neat "type" cards...we spoke...he looked at mine and I at his....never really introduced ourselves.....and came to find out we know each other from the board (at the time it was the old board)....if we don't do something you will miss people you probably want to meet...since then Tom and I have conversed and spoken on the phone several times but still it would have been nice to have known who he was when we had our chance encounter.....good idea Scott.....maybe it could be as inconspicuous as a very small button on it that says "board member".? They would be cheap and almost unnoticeable (sp?)......regards

Old 05-07-2002, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Tom B

been to all since 1992 in Atlanta. I'm going with 3 buddies I've been with since 1996.........staying at Hampton Inn at Airport.....$89.00 Wednesday/Thursday, $59.00 Friday/Saturday. It is in Elk Grove Village (6 miles from airport). Plenty of rooms left........driving up on Wednesday morning and attending the White Sox game on Wed nite........up for meeting on Thursday or Friday nite though......

Old 05-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: TBob

Two capital murder cases, one right before and one right after, but I have my priorities straight and I am planning on going.
Now if someone would just bring the dang last 6 T207s I need! By the way I made a deal with the Rassmussen winner and now own it so that's one less card to go...

Old 05-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: warshawlaw

I just got my last trial of the summer rescheduled for January, so I am now able to consider a trip. Now if only I can raise the $$ needed for a really good National trip (guess I better stay off ebay for a while).

BTW, what are the National dates and where is it in relation to Deerfield, IL? Does the National have a web site this year?

Old 05-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: petecld

Deerfield, IL is about 30-45 minutes north of Rosemont but easily traveled by expressway.

Old 05-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Elliot

http://thenational.net/index.cfm

Dates, location, etc. can be found at the above site.