NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default T206 Lajoie Lenox PSA 4 at Goodwin

$26K? Really? unbelievable.....Black Lenox, not brown! This one makes no sense at all....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-31-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM
Sean Costello

Is it a 1 of 1 situation? If so, I'm guessing David Hall was involved.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Or 2 people with a back run of the same card that both like sitting around lighting money on fire on the weekends with other people that like setting money on fire.

If David Hall is still collecting..

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 03-31-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Banned

At a show a couple weeks ago I talked to a Cleveland collector who had the opinion that that Lajoie actually was a brown Lenox mislabeled by PSA. I guess David hall doesn't differentiate between brown and black lenoxxes so maybe PSA doesn't either? Anyway, I wonder whether other bidders thought maybe the Lenox was brown? Was tought to tell one way or another on my comp screen.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Maybe I should put my Ty Cobb away.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
Or 2 people with a back run of the same card that both like sitting around lighting money on fire on the weekends with other people that like setting money on fire.

If David Hall is still collecting..
Phillip- why don't you email David and ask him?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:58 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigb13 View Post
Maybe I should put my Ty Cobb away.
Or at least put pics and prices up...
Old 03-31-2017, 06:00 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Is it a 1 of 1 situation? If so, I'm guessing David Hall was involved.
Sean, Even if Hall was involved, it takes two to tango.....
Old 03-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

I do have front and back pictures up with a price or best offer.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:46 PM

Makes this one look like a steal...

http://brockelmanauctions.com/LotDet...ventoryid=1502
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 PM

Hey Turner,
The Lajoie Brown Lenox was sold raw in Hunt Auctions in February of 2004, for $2800. At the time the card was identified incorrectly as a black Lenox. I believe the card still resides in the collection of a long time Lajoie collector and contributor here for many years.
Hope you are well
Brian
Old 04-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb13 View Post
maybe i should put my ty cobb away.
lololol
Old 04-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
lololol
Lolololololololol
Old 04-01-2017, 08:18 PM

T206 red Cobb Cycle 350, PSA 3, currently at $8,400 with BP at Goldin. Not that rare of a card... Only proves further that rare backs are all jacked and overpriced and this is making the Nap Lenox look like a relative bargain!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
T206 red Cobb Cycle 350, PSA 3, currently at $8,400 with BP at Goldin. Not that rare of a card... Only proves further that rare backs are all jacked and overpriced and this is making the Nap Lenox look like a relative bargain!
I'm not sure I follow. Rare backs are overpriced, yet the Lajoie was a bargain at $25K? Huh? It's late and I'm tired, but I can't comprehend how something can be overpriced yet still be a bargain.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
Makes this one look like a steal...

http://brockelmanauctions.com/LotDet...ventoryid=1502
Back THeN I SoLD my PSA 8 Namath Rookie fir $6K...
Whata They Like, $40k Now!?!?
(There iS One ComiN up iN REA...
VeRY Curious to See WHaT Mr. Namath Sells fir!?

Fir Sum Cards... 7 Years Ago was a Different WoRLD!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Suddenly my highest valued card.
 photo cobb t206 cycle_zpsxpphgmb1.png
Old 04-02-2017, 06:18 AM

Yes, agreed, "overpriced" and "bargain" used simultaneously to refer to the same subject is necessarily oxymoronic and logically inconsistent. My point was simply that if $9000 for Cobb Cycle 350s is the new normal, then $24k for the Nap is, IMO, a relative steal. That said, I remember feeling about real estate in 2007, how I do about rare backs today..... I think things are "whack" but in this whack world I would rather have the Nap at $24k than the Cobb cycle at $9k (although they are both great). The Nap is a once a decade/maybe lifetime card, and assuming the buyer paid that sum to collect, price doesn't really matter on card like that (if buyer can reasonably afford to stroke the check).
Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Yes, agreed, "overpriced" and "bargain" used simultaneously to refer to the same subject is necessarily oxymoronic and logically inconsistent. My point was simply that if $9000 for Cobb Cycle 350s is the new normal, then $24k for the Nap is, IMO, a relative steal. That said, I remember feeling about real estate in 2007, how I do about rare backs today..... I think things are "whack" but in this whack world I would rather have the Nap at $24k than the Cobb cycle at $9k (although they are both great). The Nap is a once a decade/maybe lifetime card, and assuming the buyer paid that sum to collect, price doesn't really matter on card like that (if buyer can reasonably afford to stroke the check).
Why do you presume that an outlying price in a Goldin auction of all places somehow sets the new value range of rare backed T206s?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:49 AM

I presume nothing of the sort. Over the past few weeks I have seen red Cobbs CB (with back damage) and cycle 350s, go for crazy numbers. I got outbid on a Young bare hand OM 6, at a very very high number. About two weeks ago, as posted elsewhere, somebody over the course of 1-2 days took down every rare back CB and rarer, all commons and all listings that had been out there for many many months. Just a few examples... I am hanging my hat on the totality of fairly recent sales. The Nap, well hell, that is something special and on a card like that you gotta pay what you gotta pay to make it yours.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I don't think that a couple weeks of sales which include a Goldin auction necessarily means the market has changed. That being said, red Cobbs have certainly taken off over the past few years along with many cards. As for the Lajoie, it sold as a brown Lenox and is as rare as you said -- and of a HOF player.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
Back THeN I SoLD my PSA 8 Namath Rookie fir $6K...
Whata They Like, $40k Now!?!?
(There iS One ComiN up iN REA...
VeRY Curious to See WHaT Mr. Namath Sells fir!?

Fir Sum Cards... 7 Years Ago was a Different WoRLD!!!
I'm the same way...sole my Namath rookie '7', for $2,000.....I feel like an idiot now.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm the same way...sole my Namath rookie '7', for $2,000.....I feel like an idiot now.
Bobby,
I was a Genius Back THeN!
AFTaR HoLDiN'em fir a Few Years, I Made $3800!

You're Certainly Not aN idiot,
I Truly Don't Believe THaT You Lost Cash... "Am I Correct!?"
Your Experience WiLL ONLy MaKe You Wiser my Friend!!!

Namath's Card is JuST One Example of "HeLPiN me Read"
The "AFTaR the Baby Boomar Market"!

The New Money Seems ta be Slowly TaKeN OVaR Wit Sum Players,
And Down RiGHT KiLLiN iT Wit Others, ie... "Pick a Cobb" !!!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:06 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

$25K is still a ridiculous price for this card, period...It definitely sold as a Brown Lenox and then some...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-02-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
$25K is still a ridiculous price for this card, period...It definitely sold as a Brown Lenox and then some...
if you owned it and listed it on the BST, what price would you ask?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Yes of course it sold as a brown. No question. Once it passed 7-8K or so it was clear everyone thought it was brown.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Sean Costello

Goodwin claims that the Lenox is black, and the only one graded by PSA.

I don't see this or any other with a Lenox back listed in their pop report.

The card clearly looks black in the scan. So I don't get it. Maybe someone with more skill than me can double check the PSA pop report?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
I don't think that a couple weeks of sales which include a Goldin auction necessarily means the market has changed. That being said, red Cobbs have certainly taken off over the past few years along with many cards. As for the Lajoie, it sold as a brown Lenox and is as rare as you said -- and of a HOF player.
A single transaction is always what defines the start of a change, no matter how small. Repeat transactions dictate how sticky the change will be.

One could easily speculate why it sold at the price it did, but that would be speculation. No offense meant, but lots of people on here postulate facts. It is sad and hilarious at the same time. Your post is just that, speculation. Trying to determine reasoning of a person based on price is, no offense meant again, moronic.

The Murphy Red Hindu 1/1 must have sold at the price it did because the two buyers that fought over it thought it was a Purple Hindu.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 04-02-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
A single transaction is always what defines the start of a change, no matter how small. Repeat transactions dictate how sticky the change will be.

One could easily speculate why it sold at the price it did, but that would be speculation. No offense meant, but lots of people on here postulate facts. It is sad and hilarious at the same time. Your post is just that, speculation. Trying to determine reasoning of a person based on price is, no offense meant again, moronic.

The Murphy Red Hindu 1/1 must have sold at the price it did because the two buyers that fought over it thought it was a Purple Hindu.
Except that I spoke to people who bid it up and they did so under the belief that it was brown. Therefore, what I wrote is not speculation. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut so as not to be revealed as a moron. No offense meant.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Except that I spoke to people who bid it up and they did so under the belief that it was brown. Therefore, what I wrote is not speculation. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut so as not to be revealed as a moron. No offense meant.
Lol. Yea.

Well, no one proves you wrong, ever. I will not ask you to validate it with facts like others would. I will just chalk up to a loss of moronic proportions.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Lol. Yea.

Well, no one proves you wrong, ever. I will not ask you to validate it with facts like others would. I will just chalk up to a loss of moronic proportions.
Let's see: before Mastro and Allen were indicted, years before, there was enough anecdotal information in the public domain -- none of it from any of them or their co-conspirators -- which made clear that fraud was afoot in their auctions. They're all in jail now. John Rodgers? Another one where circumstantial evidence existed to make clear, at least to some here, that he was a crook. He's now headed off to prison. Brent/PWCC? Again, no insiders came out and declared that fraud was going on in his auctions and a handful of people who were neither his paid apologists or co-conspirators called it. And I think we can all agree that significant fraud has gone on in his auctions. And there are many more instances of this.

And you can ask me anything you'd like; that doesn't mean I would share my insights from being involved in more hobby related-federal criminal investigations and indictments, state fraud cases and civil fraud litigations than anyone on this board, with a proud moron like you. Sometimes it's just best to shut up and listen instead of demanding to be heard, especially when you have not a clue -- or the experience and intelligence to at least know you have not a clue.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Let's see: before Mastro and Allen were indicted, years before, there was enough anecdotal information in the public domain -- none of it from any of them or their co-conspirators -- which made clear that fraud was afoot in their auctions. They're all in jail now. John Rodgers? Another one where circumstantial evidence existed to make clear, at least to some here, that he was a crook. He's now headed off to prison. Brent/PWCC? Again, no insiders came out and declared that fraud was going on in his auctions and a handful of people who were neither his paid apologists or co-conspirators called it. And I think we can all agree that significant fraud has gone on in his auctions. And there are many more instances of this.

And you can ask me anything you'd like; that doesn't mean I would share my insights from being involved in more hobby related-federal criminal investigations and indictments, state fraud cases and civil fraud litigations than anyone on this board, with a proud moron like you. Sometimes it's just best to shut up and listen instead of demanding to be heard, especially when you have not a clue -- or the experience and intelligence to at least know you have not a clue.
Oh, I did. I stood there at the National last year and I listened to lots of conversations about you, actually. You do not the know the first thing about me or what I know.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Oh, I did. I stood there at the National last year and I listened to lots of conversations about you, actually. You do not the know the first thing about me or what I know.
Great. When you're done sniffing my jock let me know.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I was not sniffing. It was an overwhelming stench that resonated through the entire card show. You like it stinky. You should be proud.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 04-02-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I was not sniffing. It was an overwhelming stench that resonated through the entire card show. You like it stinky. You should be proud.
Mastro and Allen hate me as well. As does Rodgers, Brent and any number of miscreants in the hobby. I can live with that. You keep being you and I'll keep being me.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I hate to break this to you, but these were people on my side of the table. I will just let you win. You need that so you can stop posting right?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I hate to break this to you, but these were people on my side of the table. I will just let you win. You need that so you can stop posting right?
I haven't posted more than a couple of times on the main board in about 18 months I believe. So no, I don't need a word from you to stop posting --- I just need to remind myself that there's no point in getting into pissing contests with nobodies who spend their time discussing me at the National. Phillip.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I told you that you won. Maybe I was wrong. Your post count, is irrelevant of your personality and post style. You don't need to win, you need to have the last post or you need to convince yourself that you won. Also, I never said I discussed you. You have a reading comprehension issue it seems.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 04-02-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Considering how little you know about the hobby, why would I believe anything that you say here? Ok, Philip who I've never heard of and who has not made even the slightest impression in this hobby -- other than in being a pontificating moron on Net 54 -- I'm done here.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Ha. See. Last post.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.goodwinandco.com/T206_Len...-LOT35018.aspx

Not sure what people are seeing here that they think it's brown?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

They are not. That was the point. This guy definitely doesn't want the card: http://imageevent.com/ineedanap/t206

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 04-03-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

If Jeff says he talked to people who thought it was brown and were bidding accordingly, then people were thinking that. Maybe they had other scans, I don't know.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
They are not. That was the point. This guy definitely doesn't want the card: http://imageevent.com/ineedanap/t206
Not sure what this link is, but it's bogus.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

What he said was, based on the price it was obvious that people thought it was brown.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Not sure what this link is, but it's bogus.
Not sure what happened there.

It looks like you can only get to the page a specific way

https://www.google.com/search?q=t206...eiUMM:&spf=213

or the person just saw this and put up a password.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-3-2017 10-20-07 AM.jpg (19.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 4-3-2017 10-20-27 AM.jpg (19.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 4-3-2017 10-20-38 AM.jpg (19.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 4-3-2017 10-20-47 AM.jpg (20.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 4-3-2017 10-20-56 AM.jpg (19.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 4-3-2017 10-21-04 AM.jpg (14.0 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 04-03-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What he said was, based on the price it was obvious that people thought it was brown.
No, read post 29 again.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Why don't you call him up and ask him if he bid on the card and what color he believes the Goodwin Lajoie Lenox is?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No, read post 29 again.
I was citing post 26 which came before 29.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Again, why don't you call him up and ask him if he bid on the card and what color he believes the Goodwin Lajoie Lenox is?