NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Years ago I started buying all the T204 Tom Reilly cards I could find. I wasn't hoarding them per se, I planned on destroying them because he wasn't good enough to be in the set and I thought 120 cards seemed more logical for a set size than 121. It was also out of spite for no Pirates in the set. Maybe someday I'll start buying them again to finish my goal, but I think it's been at least 14 years since I bought one.
A T204 Tom Reilly just sold on the BST today... perhaps it suddenly has new value as a scarcity? An increase in demand?

Last edited by bocca001; 12-10-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
A T204 Tom Reilly just sold on the BST today... perhaps it suddenly has new value as a scarcity? An increase in demand?
The guy hit .180 and couldn't field. Are you sure it wasn't someone paying someone to take the card off their hands?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eillto01.shtml
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-11-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I've read posts by two people that posted something different than I thought they would for this particular thread.... John and Bob .... still waiting to hear a good story about how many cards you have of a certain player from a certain set.... I'm not sure I'd call it hoarding... I'd call it an obsession.... kind of like the guy that likes that mustachioed player in the T206 set.... either of you guys gonna fess up to having more cards of a certain player from a certain issue?
I have over 3,000 rookie cards of Omar Vizquel, if that's what you mean? Some guy was taking 1989 Topps Traded sets, pulling the Griffey cards to get them graded, then selling off a couple of the stars cheap, and trashing the rest. I bought most of his Vizquel cards for about 10 cents each.

So if someone is looking for a 1989 TT Paul Kilgus or Randy Kutcher, they are a lot less common than the Griffey card because many thousands were trashed
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

True market cornering, no. Closest I came was trying to get every 1928 Exhibit of my cousin that came up for sale but I quit after 8:

I've let a few slip past since.

Since 1 of 1 specimens are pretty regular occurrences in boxing, soccer and other global sports, especially from foreign issuers, in a sense anyone who collects actively in those areas has some markets cornered. For example, this is the only known specimen of a 1904 Sporting Life cabinet from the Jeffries-Munroe title fight:

This is the only known example of the 1938 NX5 American Sweets Joe Louis:

I don't know of any other complete runs of these:

Can't be too many of these floating around, either:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Fred

John,

And I thought you had more Omar V rookies than that.....
Old 12-12-2016, 11:50 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

There can't be more than 2-3 more of these out there, can there? More seriously, these were all slightly different color tints, which was why I got them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aces.jpg (76.8 KB, 134 views)
Old 12-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Danny Gabel

Default T206 Taylor

I have about 110 of T-206 Luther "Dummy" Taylor. I don't think I will ever get tired of buying a beauty card.

Best,
Danny