NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Posted By: Bill Todd

Do the Rinkeydink stamps have an ACC designation? Seems like they should be an M-something. I picked up a Harris at the Reading show.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 03-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Posted By: leon

I don't believe they have an ACC # and I doubt Suger gave them a number in the Sports Collectors Bible either....

Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Bummer. A compulsive guy like me needs some order. I think I'll put it in as an "M-Unc" in my checklist.

Bill

Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

You might do ST-Unc as I do for unclassified stamps. I really have a good system for doing things (at least in my own mind). I always start with Burdick's ACC. If it's not in there then I go to Suger's SCB. Then if it's not in there I go to the "Unc" classification depending on what category it would fit into from the ACC. It works for me....take care

Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Posted By: dan mckee

Come on guys, they have no ACC designation because they were cut out of a newspaper and shouldn't be graded either. They are no better than the Roy Huff garbage. SGC graded these and it simply amazes me. They told me that they were a recognized issue. I said recognized by whom? I am not going to go on about how I feel about grading but these should NOT be slabbed, period. I own a Ruth and a Walter Johnson, they are neat but not an issue. I guess I can get my 1930s newspaper stamps of Connie Mack graded as well? What a joke.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

They were cut out of a paper....They can't be a card.....I have my own ideas about grading this stuff but I am not sure a card can't be cut from a paper.....I have seen farther stretches to things called cards....

Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Is this what we are talking about?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

No, I could live with those as they were actually issued in the sheet you show. I am talking about these junkers that were literally cut out of a newspaper like the one you read on Sunday mornings!

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail2.aspx?lotid=3964

Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Bill, assign them a "J" designation for junk that shouldn't be graded.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

OK Dan.....I gotcha...and agree.....I don't think those should really be graded,imo....I thought you we were talking about these German Stamps...which I do classify as ST-Unc and are as such on my site....best regards

Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Yes I am with you on the German stamps and any other stamps issued like that. The Rinkeydinks have writing on the backs from articles on the back page. Roy Huff material period.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Posted By: fkw

1927 Rinkey Dinks come in color or B&W...

Found in the Winnie Winkle comic strip of the Sunday funny pages.

PS there are a few sets in the SCD Standard Catalog that were cut from newspapers. These had dotted lines and were meant to be cut out and collected..... kinda like some of the candy box cards or magazine cards.

1936 Boston American Sports Stamps
1936 Detroit Times Sport Stamps
1936 Pittsburgh Sun Telegraph Sport Stamps
1936 Sunday Advertiser Sport Stamps
1949 Philadelphia Bulletin Phillies/A's

Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

I think there's a question of intent here. These things were produced with the idea that people would cut them out and save them. The Huff stuff wasn't.

Bill

Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

It all goes back to what we define a Card as? It's almost "to each their own"......I can see where a newspaper with indiviudal players that were meant to be cut out and saved could be classified as cards. Again, I have seen worse...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

If you take it one step further I don't know that the 1910 W-Unc cards that have been confirmed to come from a notebook cover should be getting graded either.
-Rhett

Old 03-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

I agree 100% with Rhett and I have said that all along. Those notebook cards should not be graded. But what do I know. That is an interesting point Bill, the intent that it was printed to be cut out and saved. I will have to think on that one. The whole newspaper thing just doesn't sit well with me. And does any of the magazines issued over the many years have things that were meant to be cut out and saved? The SI card inserts? They are junk out of the magazine in my eyes but that is just my opinion. I guess this is why we chat?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Frank, I have 1 of those Detroit Times sport stamps, I am going to submit that to SGC and ask for an authentic grade. Does anyone want to make a wager if it will be slabbed or not? Hint: keep in mind who is submitting it. ME!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

I have personally seen 2-3 of the 1910-W-unc notebook covers in full. They are notebook covers. I was the underbidder on one at about 5k, on ebay, that was posted on this board about a year or two ago.....It pained me to see it outed in the wrong category while it was still active. For the record I have never changed my mind on any kind of cut out or strip card....I feel they should be holdered but ONLY as AUT and no numerical grade.....To me it doesn't make sense to give strip cards or cut outs numerical grades. But what do I know?...best regards

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Posted By: Glen V

The endless debate... How about Darby Chocolates, Scharipa Ruths, Orange Borders, Hunter Wieners, SI insert paper cards, or anything else cut from a box, magazine, etc.? Are they cards? Should they be graded? I think if they were made to be collected, they can be considered cards. However, I agree that they should only be graded "A". Of course, I feel the same way about zeenuts w/o coupons or Dixie Lids w/o the tab - either Authentic or Poor! This just seems wrong:

http://tinyurl.com/2k6tvv

Old 03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

I hear you guys and can see your point. I just have a real problem with anything being cut out of a newspaper being slabbed. I think it is completely different than the candy box cards though I agree they should only be slabbed "A". A newspaper anything is not a card.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Rinkeydinks

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Maybe I am wierd but when there are perforations, dotted lines, or any other indicia that the items were made to be collected or cut out it sort of ligitimizes the item in my eyes. Also if the box (or whatever it came from) says that they are to be "saved," "collected," or anything like that it also ligitimzes them as well. They should probably only get an authentic if graded but few would doubt items like Post Creal cards from the 1960's aren't cards...
-Rhett