NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default Nice articles in SCD (for a change)

Posted By: Tom B.

No offense Bob.......

The article from Bob Lemke on the OJ's was nice as was the article on Lionel Carter (think that was his name). Don't find too much interesting stuff in SCD anymore but those were both pretty good.

Would have been nice to be like Carter and putting sets of 33G's and Delongs together when he was a kid from packs huh and having them to this day in binders in presumably mint condition. Unfortunately, my 1976 Topps from original packs are neither valuable nor in any condition above VG probably..........

Plus to have someone send you a whole collection of T205's and to refuse them..........that wouldn't happen too much anymore either..........

Old 01-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I got my SCD yeaterday and I agree with Tom--this is one of the best issues in a long time. That article by Bob Lemke about Old Judge is fantastic and the article about Lionel Carter is also great. In the Old Judge article Bob listed 13 players whose first names are unknown. I offered some assistance with five but some of you guys must know some of the others. These were mostly 1888 or 1889 Western League players:

J.D. Curtis--St Joe
D. J. Davin-Milwaukee
J. E. Dunn-Maroons
R. Emmerke-Des Moines
Fischer-Maroons
W. T. Jordan-Minn.
L. Schildknecht-Milwaukee, Des Moines
C. H. Willis-Omaha

Old 01-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie

I would like to see more articles on the vintage issues myself. Anytime Mr. Lemke writes these articles they are so interesting and sure beat any of the newer issues. I'm going to see what I can come up with as far as an article on T206 cards with some nice pictures ( of course it will be about miscut backs, ghost images, missing colors, no names etc.)lol. If anyone missed VCBC's latest issue you have to get it. Scott Forrest wrote a great story and there are many great pictures of some very interesting T206 cards. Thanks again Scott!

Old 01-31-2003, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

for the kind words. It is nice to be able to offer a nice feature package of vintage material once in a while. We all recognize SCD no longer has the page count it did in the past, which as a matter of economics dictates fewer editorial pages available. I'm in the very early stages of the production process for the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards 2004 edition, so my time is going to be largely consumed by that responsibility until mid-summer. I have a few "Update" pages prepared for SCD, but won't be able to contribute much for several months. You are all welcome to contact editor T.S. O'Connell if you're interested in preparing a vintage sports card or memorabilia feature for SCD. I realize it's not going to appear on glossy paper and probably not in color, but it will reach the largest and most appreciative vintage audience in the hobby.

Old 01-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Unfortunately for the hobby world, the article says that most of these cards are mounted with corner mounts or stamp hinges. The cards will have great fronts but corner damage or back damage. I've bought a number of collections with corner mounts from albums. They usually have either an indentation on each corner from the mount being pressed into the card for decades and/or a dirt line where the edge of the mount was. It is also common to see cards mounted that way with different tones where the edge mounts covered the cards. The cards shown in the article probably all have back damage from being placed into the books.

It's still a great collection that I'd love to own.