NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Default ok, what am I missing here T206 Magie

Posted By: dan mckee

Mastronet gets $8000 each for a PSA 3 and an SGC 3 in their last auction. Could these actually be legit bidders that do not see the Mastro catalogs???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5245561473&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 09-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

it was the "Mr X" part that did it....I'm going to start having my cards slabbed as the "Moderator Dude Collection".....actually it looked rediculously high...but hey, who knows......I know I have paid rediculous prices many times and then a short while later it didn't look so rediculous. This seemed high to me though......

Old 09-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

To bad SGC wouldn't go for the "Cards4HurricaneRelief" label...who knows what your t207 would be worth then leon!

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 09-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

i'd like to get one of those moderator dude collection cards
(MDC).
when will they be out, Leon?

all the best,

Barry

Old 09-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I thought it was an incredible price for a card that obviously isnt under graded.With a price like that i wouldnt be surprised to see alot of Magie cards being sold soon,and probably alot that were recently on the market.

If someone has a psa2/sgc30 out there,i wouldnt expect to get a price like this for yours...it would be nice tho

Old 09-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Administrator

I made this point in the chatroom, but believe it or not .... eBay is the ultimate place for exposure. It accounts for over 30% of all online transactions. While you can argue that more serious bidders and such show up at lelands, mastro, etc..etc... you cannot argue with the sheer power of ebay. The most important aspect of ebay however, is that while it is subject to market tendencies (see higher prices toward end of the year..etc..etc..) you never know precisely who is online at a given time. This fact accounts for the price discrepancies that you can see. It is highly unlikely that someone will stumble upon lelands .... it is more likely that someone will catch an item at ebay however!

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman in mn

crazy price alright!!! did yous guys see what the winning bidder has purchased lately? Including the magie about 20 k worth of t206's. wowsers

pete in mn.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There's no right or wrong answer as to where the higher prices come from. It can go both ways, and there's no rhyme or reason. But if someone was seduced by that Mr. X pedigree then he deserves to overpay. I'll take Mastro's PSA-3 for 8K and you can keep the Mr. X.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Barry- did we ever determine who "Mr.X" was?
Bob

Old 09-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I haven't a clue, and for that matter who cares. If he chooses to remain anonymous, as far as I'm concerned he might as well be nobody. Mr. X exists in a vacuum.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley Liu

It is amazing that a goofy marketing ploy enables the seller do realize so much higher prices.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

This does set a nice precedent for the next someone buys a collection. They can go to PSA and claim they bought the cards from a famous person that wants to reamain anonymous and you get your own custom labels.

These companies are always looking for ways to make more money. Why not charge people a buck or two for vanity flips. It would be a great source of extra revenue.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

What is PSA's threshhold for putting a customized label on their holders? Couldn't we all put our name on one: from the...collection, and garner a premium for the card. I may be a small fish in a big pond, but I'll take "Barry Sloate" over "Mr. X." Say what you want about me, but at least I exist. Mr X is from the fifth dimension, like Mr. Mxyzptlk (can someone spell that name for me correctly).

Old 09-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

but there are a lot of collectors who won't touch it, especially now that the scammers have gotten more sophisticated (hi-jacking accounts, etc.). Many refer to it as "fleabay" and feel much safer with the big auction houses.

Some sellers stuff all their stuff on ebay when they would be better off saving certain items for the large auction houses. And others just send it all in to Leland's when they could have put a few items on ebay and done better. Buyers and sellers just have to make informed decisions, but there's a place for both.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

I'm thinking ebayers are totally looking for bargains and altruism doesn't enter into the equation - I just sold a "100% Red Cross" item for less than an identical item went for the week before.

If anything, perhaps bidders were turned off by the donation thing - maybe thought it was a scam. I don't know. But it wasn't me - I've had some of the d*psh*ts on this board say I get lower prices because I'm an *hole - maybe, but this wasn't baseball-related and the bidders didn't know me In any case, doesn't matter to me - it's a donation and I added another item the other day.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Scott -
You are exactly right. As is the case with posting instead of speaking, i'm not saying ebay is any better. Trust me, it has many great things about it, and many bad things about it. I think if anything, it is easier to get an idea of what something would go for at a major auction house than what it will get on ebay.

Your second thought speaks to something more important. I don't know the specifics of your transactions, but... i don't necessarily feel that is the case either. If i did, i wouldnt have done this auction event. I am hoping that with the corporate sponsors and everything else that has been put together ... people will pay a little more. You never ultimately know..i remember one instance when we were autioning off a high-end video editing system for a client. Amongst the many items included, he had several monitor screens which we valued at 50 bucks a peice..... two were running at the same time, same model etc.e..etc.... one went for 75, the other for 140. There are a lot of scams popping up, unfortunate, but reality. As such, many people are hesitant to commit to something they are not 100% sure of.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 09-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I sold a PSA 1 Magie on ebay about a month ago for $4100, so relative to that, the price for the PSA 3 is not out of line.

Scott

Old 09-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

I'm just giving you an example of what actually happened, and a guess as to why.

Hey, but I could be wrong - the other auction is actually doing well.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Scott gaynor, the PSA 3 in Mastro was not out of line at $8K as you said based on your PSA 1, but the PSA 2 Mr. X at $11K is just plain ridiculous.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Kudos to TJ for fetching such a high price on the Magie. But my question is--who are these people with all of this money to burn on these cards and from where to they get the cash--and--why are they always outbidding me???

Old 09-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

Dan,

Sportscard pricing is not scientific. Any collectible or Sportscard is only worth what a minimum of 2 people think it is worth at any given point of time. As we know, people are emotional, irrational/rational etc. Therefore anything without much or any intrinsic value will flucutate in price dramatically. Perceived value is very volatile and sportscards are 99.99% perceived value. But that is the attraction. I don't think any of us want to buy and sell 1 dollar bills. Either as collectors or dealers. The price disloactions in this hobby/business make it profitable and drives our collecting juices. My overall point is that the price guides in this hobby are just that a guide. Cards like the Magie will always be undervalued in the guide. Cards like a 66 Topps Pete Rose in a "9" will always be overvalued. I think that as with most things in life, those that are the least obtainable will always be irrationally priced. Therefore as a collector/dealer one must decide whether it is better to buy a Magie at 4X SMR or buy the 66 Rose at 70% of SMR. Alot of people would see the Rose a value at 30% of the SMR price but I see that as a Value trap. I will buy the Magie everytime at 4x SMR and sell it for 5x versus the 66 Rose that I might have a hard time selling for 72%. I will use the stock market anology, From 1986 to 1999, Microsoft Stock was overvalued every trading day by any metric. But if you invested a $1000 the day it came public and sold it Decemeber 31st 1999, your profit would have been $800,000. But you would have had to listen to every wall street type tell you that it was overvalued. They probably would have recommended you to buy something undervaulued like IBM, which if you invested $1000 the same day in 1986 your profit would have been 0. Cards like the Magie, Wagner etc will rarely be undervalued and most likely will have price spikes that will confound to the upside whereas the the 66 Rose PSA 9 will continue to disappoint to the downside.

Charlie

Old 09-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Charlie, that all makes very good sense to me. But how did these 2 irrational bidders miss the very recent Mastro auction which contained 2 much nicer Magie's and sold for far less?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TJ Schwartz

Hello all. The price surprised the heck out of me too! However, the winner is a regular, local customer of high grade T206's, who picks the cards up in person. He already paid. He also had to outbid another that had over 11K in there. Would also tell all that there was NO 'MR. X Collection' on the slab. The PSA 1 that did have it sold for 4100. The card was the second Magie I got from him along with the recent group of PSA 7's and 8's he gave me to sell. Maybe they missed the auction as I knew those prices as well. I don't know, but the check cleared!

Never even knew he had this stash of graded cards he had bought through the years. When I spoke to the buyer, he told me that he was just sitting around and said: "What the heck? I want a Magie!" He is VERY well heeled and a STRONG buyer. Just wanted to clear that up. Just read the buyers's FB.

Would also add that as I've been selling T206's for Mr. X for over 6 months now, I have gained a following that know they will receive all cards they bid on and that they are real and not color copies or otherwise fraudulent. A lot can always be said for repeat buyers. Best to all, TJS

Old 09-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Local Buyer = Another $950 for the sales tax.