NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 AM
John

Default Autographs - Cancelled Checks

I'm curious to hear what autograph collectors think of cancelled checks. Where do they rank in desirability? It would seem to me, they are more likely authentic as compared to a number of other items, such as a 3x5 card. Your thoughts?
John
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 AM

John,

I don't have a lot of cancelled checks, but I do think they are a safer bet than other signed items. I'm sure there are some bad checks out there, but definitely not as prevalent as fake baseballs, cuts, etc. They can also display nicely with photos.

Mike
Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

It is the only kind of autograph that I collect. Just be careful, because it seems that many of the modern athletes checks show up in huge batches. You can really overpay and then see the market flooded. JMO.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM

One thing about a signed bank check or tax form or contract is, even if not an autograph expert, a collecter can at least check out the document itself and see if its seems genuine. Determining that that index card is a genuine index card is not of great help, but that that 1920s Mr. & Mrs. Joe Wood account bank check itself appears to be a genuine bank check and is clearly old (foxing, whatever) is significant visa vie the authenticity of Joe Wood's autograph on it. Unlike the index card, glossy 8x10 color photo or scrap of paper, the check itself is something the collector can put his teeth into. You may find an expert currency and bank notes collector who, while he has no clue what Ty Cobb's autograph looks like and won't offer an opinion on the signature, will tell you that the bank check itself, noted in the upper right as coming from Cobb's personal account, is completely genuine.

Last edited by drc; 09-09-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Jeff

Default Checks

One of my favorite ways to collect HOF signatures.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I should have also said that typically I only collect checks with the players name imprinted on them. This was not the case with many of the older players checks.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
qualitycards

I also collect cancelled checks, have over 200 different ones from players in all sports,
some entertainers & Presidents.
I also like all forms of cancelled checks, not just a players personal account but payroll & endorsement checks as well.

For my checks, I prefer them unslabbed and only one I have is framed, and that's a Zach Wheat matted w/ a Sporting News premium and a Perez/Steele postcard.
I bought it this way and figured to leave as is.
At one point his check was deemed real tough as one bank statement envelope was uncovered
by his children after his death w/ maybe 25 checks inside.
I have 3, so I'm sure another couple envelopes w/ checks surfaced as his check is routinely offered.

Here's a couple of my HOFers, I have them in large Roop binders w/ a HOF plaque and a Perez/Steele postcard
W/ stickers signifying when they were born & passed away (if applicable) + their HOF induction date.
On the other side of the binder, I have an 8 x 10 photo or magazine cover.
For recent players I have the HOF plaque. P/S postcard & photo's autographed.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Max Carey Check

Picked this check up in a trade. Only one I have thought it was cool. D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max Carey.jpg (80.3 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg Max Carey 001.jpg (75.2 KB, 335 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If your main concern is authenticity, then checks are a great way to go. I prefer the look of Index Cards, as they frame up in cleaner fashion than a check, and (to me) are just more aesthetically pleasing.

Here's an Al Simmons Check that I framed up recently, which came out pretty well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prem 044.jpg (75.5 KB, 324 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Default I concur with the board's consensus regarding checks...

however, most checks from top-tier HOF players will cost multiples compared with a slabbed GPC, index card, or AP.

I am also fond of the salutations: "Best Wishes", "Good luck", "My Personal Regards", or "Sincerely" rather then - pay to the order of: "Joe's Plumbing", "Southern Power Co", or "Sam's Automotive".

But I do have this Twice signed PSA/DNA 9 in my collection...

TWICEsignedRUTHcheck.jpgTWICEsignedRUTHcheckVERSO.jpg
Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I will be collecting some more psa/dna slabbed checks. I need to find a high quality painting copy and then will keep this format style so all my displays look the same:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00035202.jpg (50.5 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg 00036902.jpg (37.0 KB, 292 views)
Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Jonathan Scheier

Check out (no pun intended) this one we sold a few years back at Heritage Auctions. It's a Rogers Hornsby payroll check endorsed on the verso by the Hall of Famer when he was managing the minor league Baltimore Orioles. There was a big fire at the ballpark on the Fourth of July, 1944 and most of the archives stored there were destroyed. This check barely made it--notice the charred edges!

Link: http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...o=19073&src=pr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornsby check.jpg (21.1 KB, 220 views)
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Jimmy

Default Cancelled Checks

Signed checks, contracts and other similar items can be a great way to start your autograph collection, so you can get to know the player signatures and they are not as expensive as baseballs, gloves or bats. They are more valuable in most cases then the index cards or other items as stated above. I really think they will hold their value well compared to photos or other signed paper items. Even if you do not care for signed checks they seem to be a good investment and you can always trade or sell them for items you maybe more interested in buying instead.

Jimmy
Old 10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have 1; Lefty O'Doul from his restaurant. I would only consider something like a check for one of the big prewar stars like Ruth--just too much bad paper out there otherwise.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 PM

Ruth checks aren't exactly foolproof, either. Some of his blank checks found their way into the hands of a Philly-area forger (Hi FM!). I would recommend purchasing a Ruth check from a trusted veteran dealer or from an auction house with auction LOA from PSA.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Tom Boblitt

Like Jay, I had a collection of about 200 different checks from HOFers, stars, etc. A great way to collect autographs. Still undervalued somewhat too. Checks of the big guys are strong now and have gone way up over the last 5-8 years. I sold my collection of piecemeal and then in lots via Robert Edward a few years back but still have a few and love the checks!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM

Checks are a great way to collect authentic signatures and especially if made up with a nice frame and photo. Part of the luster that is lost for me is the fact that have handled so many, by the same group, that all I can picture are boxes and boxes of these things and the market simply flooded.

I.E what Bob Gibson did to the market recently, Curt Flood is doing now, Ralph Kiner and especially NFL commisioner Bert Bell who has even assisted in adding some Bill Hewitt signatures into the marketplace.

And too add to the above, let's also not forget about high quality photocopies of Ruth checks, framed and matted and sold as authentic. That's another scam, but no fault to the checks themselves, but the scammers who exist in damned groves.

DanC
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Rick P

What's the rule of thumb relative to value of autographed checks vs a 3x5 or a photo?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 AM

DanC and Jodi with the point I tried to get across in another thread about checks. Yes, they may be the safest medium to collect, but not fullproof by any means.

Last edited by J.McMurry; 10-23-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: to fix the mess that happens when I try to type and chew gum at the same time.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Anthony

Default Reprint Check

Here is a check being sold on eBay as a REPRINT. however, if someone had ill intentions they could put it in a nice frame and sell it as the real deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 11.jpg (19.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:47 PM

Foolproof, yes, but of the thousands and thousands of subjects that come signed in check form, maybe a handful are duplicated (photocopied) and used by at least one seller, (maybe two) to dupe the public. You won't see it with Carl Erskine.

I remember once seeing a George Harrison check on eBay and with like four minutes left, it was only at $91. This is a $1,000 item, so what gives? The seller did what some annoying seller's do, fill the description with a life's story of the individual and there it was, in fine print, all the way at the bottom...this is a high quality reproduction of an original check in the tiniest of fonts.

With anything you buy in this industry that is driven with a large majority of fraud, caveat emptor.

As far as 3x5 v. checks, I think it all depends on the figure and how many checks are issued. Some checks rarely show up (according to Spence's population report of checks that he produced some many years ago), I once had a Jim Bottomley in my possession with...off the top of my head...maybe 10 exist and it fetched $1,750 --circa-2003), as a 3x5 signature of Bottomley would bring far less, maybe a nice one would bring $300-350...maybe $400. You could always do a comparison with 3x5 v. checks in the SMR.

Anyone have that report and any chance for a copy? Have no idea what happened to mine.

Thanks,
DanC