NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default Ebay auctions to watch out for

Posted By: Chris

Watch out for the seller "lck52001". He currently has a couple of suspicious looking T206's (W Johnson and Speaker) and a couple of Churchmans' boxing cards out on ebay. I have been burnt by this guy before -- he sold me a fake 1915 M101-5 Sisler and then disappeared into the woodwork.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Private auctions, say no more

Old 03-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

they absolutely glow. Sometimes he gets a bit greedy--told buyers his T206 Breshnahan had "a tobacco stain in the center of the yellow." But the scan showed the merest pale mark! When the card arrived, though, there was a dark glob of tobacco juice--right in the middle of the card! Called my feedback "positive," but said "..but scans can lie; this one did!" This is by no means true of all ejn9's cards.

Wheat gives you a grade, but no reason for it. i was disappointed in two T202s. Then I just bought "near mint+" Fan Craze Chance from him--with some color missing from the back! ex-mint, tops. But only $325...

Old 03-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It's easy enough with the editing software that comes with your scanner to make most flaws go away. Depending of the crease, sometimes they become more pronounced, other times, they disappear when scanned.

I am conducting an experiment with a few of my current auctions. I am listing some cards that did not sell, for whatever reason, but each card a detailed description of the condition, mentioning wrinkles that are almost invisble in the scan. This time around, I went the route of many sellers and just said, check scan for details of description. I've got bids this time and have yet to get a single request for larger scans or a verbal description of the card.

Whenever I see an auction run like that, I ask for one or both. Seems to me that people want to think that they are high grade card without doing some further research to make sure the card is as presented.

Jay

Old 03-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've always looked at grading standards like building codes. Everyone in the field should understand them. If I say a card is "vg" and I present a scan, that should be enough for an experienced buyer to know what to expect.

The problem arises when some dealers have warped views of what grading standards are (not mentioning any names; we know who the notorious overgraders are), or when they offer a card described as being one grade when it isn't even close because of lots of qualifiers thrown in, like the ubiquitous "vg-ex except for the tack hole and writing and glue on the card back". Sorry, that ain't a vg-ex card, that's a fair card. That description is like my offering a card as mint except for rounded corners and creases.

Old 03-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I think I proved it lately as my haste for a bargain and little time remaining on the ebay clock led me to buy a tobacco card with no desription, just a fuzzy scan which looked fine. Booyah! Crease. From now on I either require a description or email the seller for details if they say "just look at the scan."
I wanted to pull the trigger on the M116 Young on ebay at a good price but my request of the seller for the exact measurements of the card went unanswered, so I am passing...

Old 03-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

and, as soon as I read one auction, decided that was the one i wanted. The Canadian seller had NO SCAN, but described the cover in great detail and--most important--said the record was a "second strike" not a "first strike" (I had seen half a dozen guys trying to pass the 1972 strike off for a 1950s one). He listed all the songs, and said that the jacket said "abridged" on it, but that it was NOT; he had listened to every word, and it was just like the original.

I bid real high, but got the record for 42 or 48 dollars (while some charletons were selling the SAME RECORD as a "first strike" and getting 80).

As a rule, I've found Canadian sellers to be more honest, send things for less dough which arrive quicker. (this does not include Mr. C, of the magazines; he kept sending me the cheapest possible magazines, when I was obviously willing to pay over $300 to get a nice one. Which i finally did, at a local show. Mr. C is very unintuitive.

Also had great experience with a German (and got to practice my German). He took PayPal! The (chess) cards were AGES getting here, but were simply but effectively packed so they were not damaged. It was a set of six (he explained this), which I'd already gotten most of here, but hid were in FAR superior condition (They were German cards).

Do NOT buy books printed in England,, unless you're positive the author doesn't have an American printer; you'll pay twice the price.

If something arrives damaged, be sure to retain and return to seller all the things about the package that night be related to the damage. Even if he returns your dough with no trouble, he will proably have a hard time getting HIS money back. I once ordered a '55 Dodgers Yearbook in mint condition, and it arrived with th front cover torn nearly off. The package weasn't torn, bUT--the back of it was black, as if it had been continually driven over by a truck. Seller was very grateful.

Old 03-31-2003, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

Ebay seller fishnedt is selling several T206 cards. These are reprints even though the backs do show the factory information. The tip off is the T206 Southern leaguer Paige with a Sovereign 460 back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2720236815

T206 Southern leaguers are only found with Old Mill, Piedmont, and Hindu brands.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

Stay clear. Has 4 auctions up that are reprints/counterfeits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2720492440

Old 04-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

"***ALL SALES ARE FINAL ***" = find another auction to bid in