NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2023, 12:40 PM
W@de

Default Introduction and help with a Walter Johnson Type 1

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user and was sent this way by a buddy of mine. I'm was hoping you all could help me out with a WaJo Type 1 from his estate

I have the year as 1920 based on the uniform and matching it to other photos from around then. I'm looking for help getting the day down.

WaJo only pitched at Fenway on opening day of 1920 and July 1st, his only no hitter.

A photo from Opening Day 1920 (which also helps with the uniform/year) shows then Gov. Coolidge with both teams and a lot of the advertisements above Duffy's Cliff. And in the Type 1 you can see there is 1 advertisement that is different. I've attached both and circled differences and similarities.

I've already looked into the weather and what WaJo was wearing and it hasn't been very conclusive. I'm also going to reach out to his grandson who was the first seller of the photo.

If anyone has anymore photos from 1920-1921 Fenway that could help pinpoint when that advertisement changed over, that'd be great!

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2023, 01:06 PM
D Brown

Is there anything present that definitely says that he pitched the day this photo was taken? If not, that opens up several other potential dates.

But I'd guess June, if only one ad has changed since April.

Last edited by dbrown; 05-16-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:12 PM
W@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
Is there anything present that definitely says that he pitched the day this photo was taken? If not, that opens up several other potential dates.

But I'd guess June, if only one had has changed since April.
This is absolutely another possibility, that he could just be tossing the ball around on a day he didn't pitch.

Last edited by Swadewade51; 05-16-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:32 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Billboard change over is a very useful & interesting topic.

I have not looked at my database of photos just yet, but if that one photo is from Opening Day it's possible that particular billboard ad (Life Buoy Soap) has not been changed over yet from the previous year---meaning that particular ad (Life Buoy Soap) is from the 1919 season vs. what you would normally see in that spot for the 1920 season.

If the year, stats etc.. are correct and that Life Buoy Soap billboard is from the 1919 season & there was only one Billboard change over (to WaJo estate photo)...then it might be from July 1st 1920.

Also, I would try zooming in on the scoreboard as well from the Wajo estate photo.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:32 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Good Luck Wade! I'm sure a forum member has a 1920 shot showing the fence. Maybe even dated.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 05-16-2023, 01:38 PM
W@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Billboard change over is a very useful & interesting topic.

I have not looked at my database of photos just yet, but if that one photo is from Opening Day it's possible that particular billboard ad (Life Buoy Soap) has not been changed over yet from the previous year---meaning that particular ad (Life Buoy Soap) is from the 1919 season vs. what you would normally see in that spot for the 1920 season.

If the year, stats etc.. are correct and that Life Buoy Soap billboard is from the 1919 season & there was only one Billboard change over (to WaJo estate photo)...then it might be from July 1st 1920.

Also, I would try zooming in on the scoreboard as well from the Wajo estate photo.
This is great! I actually did find a 1919 photo with the Life Buoy soap add that I'll attach. The Type 1 photo scoreboard is very out of focus when zooming in but I appreciate that advise!

Old 05-16-2023, 02:37 PM
Zeke

Labeled as 1918 WS - 'MCA' ad present: https://i.redd.it/lbseg0jltwd61.jpg

Merely coincidence, I'm sure... but seems like the opening day '20 photo shows a team of guys preparing to change out/clean/paint over(?) the 'John and Arthur' automobile ad... in fact, the 'Arthur' is either 1/2 way gone or 1/2 way completed... same appears to be the case with whatever was above the Hotel Commodore ad. Anyway, is it possible the opening day photo captures (at least some) ad changes underway at Fenway? Not sure how it fits with the WaJo date, but i'd image the corroborating photo you're looking for is out there...
Old 05-16-2023, 03:15 PM
W@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw85 View Post
Labeled as 1918 WS - 'MCA' ad present: https://i.redd.it/lbseg0jltwd61.jpg

Merely coincidence, I'm sure... but seems like the opening day '20 photo shows a team of guys preparing to change out/clean/paint over(?) the 'John and Arthur' automobile ad... in fact, the 'Arthur' is either 1/2 way gone or 1/2 way completed... same appears to be the case with whatever was above the Hotel Commodore ad. Anyway, is it possible the opening day photo captures (at least some) ad changes underway at Fenway? Not sure how it fits with the WaJo date, but i'd image the corroborating photo you're looking for is out there...
Interesting! It looks like that MCA from 1918 is the add present in the Type 1! Perhaps the Type 1 is before opening day 1920 but after the 1918 one you sent me! I'll need to find some later 1920s or 1921 photos.

Last edited by Swadewade51; 05-16-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:28 PM
Todd Schultz

I guess I am not understanding what it is you want. You say there are only two days in 1920 where WaJo pitched-- Opening Day and July 1, and you are confident that your type 1 is from 1920. If so it has to be the latter date if in fact the photo is from a game he pitched, right?

The two photos are obviously of different dates given the two different scoreboard ads, and we know that the scoreboard shown on Opening Day is not the same as on the type 1 photo. That leaves the series from June 29-July 1, and Walter only pitched in the finale. The photo seems to show him warming up while his mates took infield, and throwing in front of the first-base line. Seems doubtful to me he would be just throwing to get loose before one of the other games-- and the spot where he is throwing is likely used by the starter of the day.

The only other series where the Senators visited Fenway in 1920 was the last series of the season at the end of September. WaJo was shut down in mid-July with a bad arm, and likely was not even there.

Are you thinking the year of your pic might be something other than 1920?

NEVER MIND-- It seems you are open to the fact that the photo may be from a year other than 1920
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-16-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:33 PM
W@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I guess I am not understanding what it is you want. You say there are only two days in 1920 where WaJo pitched-- Opening Day and July 1, and you are confident that your type 1 is from 1920. If so it has to be the latter date if in fact the photo is from a game he pitched, right?

The two photos are obviously of different dates given the two different scoreboard ads, and we know that the scoreboard shown on Opening Day is not the same as on the type 1 photo. That leaves the series from June 29-July 1, and Walter only pitched in the finale. The photo seems to show him warming up while his mates took infield, and throwing in front of the first-base line. Seems doubtful to me he would be just throwing to get loose before one of the other games-- and the spot where he is throwing is likely used by the starter of the day.

The only other series where the Senators visited Fenway in 1920 was the last series of the season at the end of September. WaJo was shut down in mid-July with a bad arm, and likely was not even there.

Are you thinking the year of your pic might be something other than 1920?
I'm thinking that either the type 1 photo is indeed from July 1st, the no hitter. Or it's possible that the photo pre-dates the 1920 season. One user uploaded a photo from 1918 that shows the MCA ad, the same as the one I circled in the Type 1.

I'm looking for photos from later on in 1920, post-opening day or July 1st to see what ads are being displayed.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:09 PM
Val Kehl

I have no info to add, but I think the Boston Garter ad on the clock above the wall is so cool.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:22 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Correct that M*C*A ad from the 1918 WS from the link above is the same brand from both photos. However, I believe the M*C*A from 1918 and the WaJo estate photo are very similar but different design.

The WaJo estate photo looks like it has a painted side profile face next to the M*C*A (to the left) were the 1918 season ad is only text.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:19 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I have very little to add, other than anyone who has been to Boston in July knows that the idea of wearing a wool sweater over a wool uniform sounds like a form of torture.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:21 PM
W@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Correct that M*C*A ad from the 1918 WS from the link above is the same brand from both photos. However, I believe the M*C*A from 1918 and the WaJo estate photo are very similar but different design.

The WaJo estate photo looks like it has a painted side profile face next to the M*C*A (to the left) were the 1918 season ad is only text.
Thank you for that! I didn't notice that! I hope someone can churn up a photo from later 1920s or early 1921 to narrow down the time range.

Last edited by Swadewade51; 05-16-2023 at 08:21 PM.