NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default O/T California High Court: Yelp Can't Be Ordered To Take Down Posts

I don't usually get into this kind of legal mumbo jumbo but this precedent would have not been a good one for our forum had it gone the other way. I have often spoken of protections Net54baseball has in being held liable for what is said by our forum members other than me. Section 230 - Federal Communications and Decency Act defines the publisher of information as the person saying it, not the venue. So if a member says something they are liable for it and not the forum owner, unless the forum owner is involved in that particular communication and says something they are liable for. Fortunately as the internet, and our forum, has matured the Cease and Desist orders to me for what members on the forum say have ceased. When I first took over I was getting Cease and Desist orders monthly . I have to admit I had fun with them (all except the one I was liable for, it wasn't as fun). If anyone makes this into a politics thread it won't go well for you. Fair warning.

http://start.att.net/news/read/artic...tegory/finance

Last edited by Leon; 07-03-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Archive was such a troublemaker back in the day...
Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Rich Klein

I have always said both publicly and to Leon when we've had lunch (we're about due for one of those) -- that one of Net 54's greatest strength is that if you get involved in a controversial thread or start up one, you are named. In America, there is a concept about being able to face your accuser and as such Leon's position makes this a strong board

Rich
Old 07-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Brendan Mullen

It's a great policy and an extremely well-run board.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:31 PM
je.sse @rnot

I can certainly understand why a forum owner would be pleased with that ruling. But there are a lot of millennial d bags out there who write fake or exaggerated reviews to hurt the reputation of a business. Some of these people will even threaten a business with a negative review to get their way. Just look at that guy in the canceled transaction thread. People like him are why I personally believe in certain situations a business owner should have a way to get a review not based in fact removed.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-03-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I can certainly understand why a forum owner would be pleased with that ruling. But there are a lot of millennial d bags out there who write fake or exaggerated reviews to hurt the reputation of a business. Some of these people will even threaten a business with a negative review to get their way. Just look at that guy in the canceled transaction thread. People like him are why I personally believe in certain situations a business owner should have a way to get a review not based in fact removed.
Well, other than not thinking the d-baggery is confined to one age group, I completely agree with this.

I have no problem with the bar being set high for post removal, I *DO* think it should be an option.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And just how do you propose to define those situations? IMO you start down a slippery slope and who knows where it ends. Not to make this political but I would hate to see courts in the position to censor ordinary libelous posts, short of some national security concern.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-03-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And just how do you propose to define those situations? IMO you start down a slippery slope and who knows where it ends. Not to make this political but I would hate to see courts in the position to censor ordinary libelous posts, short of some national security concern.
I agree. What seems is being forgotten, is people CAN still be held LEGALLY liable and pay a high price for writing false information publicly (committing libel). Anything you write on this chatboard you can be held legally accountable for, trust me.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:39 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
It would be difficult, but not impossible to define some kind of parameters. The burden of proof would fall to the company to prove a review contains false information and is damaging their business or reputation. But in extreme cases where they have evidence they can present that would warrant removal I feel there should be a legal way to get it taken down.

Leon i am aware they could sue the person who wrote the review. I'd be surprised if 1 yelper in 5 would ever pay a judgement even if the suit was successful.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It doesn't say a company can't take down bad posts, but they can't be legally forced to. Many places, such as newspapers in their comment sections can and do remove inflammatory or rule-breaking posts, and that their removal has nothing to do with the law.

A practical problem for Yelp and the like is that if too many of the reviews are frivolous, wrong or for non-related reasons, the public will no longer use the sites as sources for information. Irrelevant to the law, it may be in Yelp's own interest to remove defamatory, irrelevant and related posts.

As far as suing the reviewer, a dentist successfully sued a reviewer that said the dentist intentionally tried to poison the reviewer's kid.

Last edited by drcy; 07-03-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
I agree, as a small business owner you deal with more of these types of situations than you should. Health care providers are even further hindered, if a review is made they are prevented from responding to said remarks due to HIPAA laws so they have absolutely no recourse against a exaggerated or false review. Then there are those that will stoop to the level of extortion, demanding that you give them discounts or even free service or they will give a false negative review. It is the world we live in.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 07-03-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It would be difficult, but not impossible to define some kind of parameters. The burden of proof would fall to the company to prove a review contains false information and is damaging their business or reputation. But in extreme cases where they have evidence they can present that would warrant removal I feel there should be a legal way to get it taken down.

Leon i am aware they could sue the person who wrote the review. I'd be surprised if 1 yelper in 5 would ever pay a judgement even if the suit was successful.
I am quite certain I don't want the government taking down posts merely because they defame someone.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Leon,

I agree with this ruling. And thanks for all you do. (BTW I am an IP lawyer).

Scot
Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree. What seems is being forgotten, is people CAN still be held LEGALLY liable and pay a high price for writing false information publicly (committing libel). Anything you write on this chatboard you can be held legally accountable for, trust me.
The woman who made the false, defamatory post in the Yelp case was sued personally and didn't respond. She had no concern about a 7 figure default judgement being entered against her as she has no money. This leaves the aggrieved party with no recourse and is why I think the ruling stinks.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I am quite certain I don't want the government taking down posts merely because they defame someone.
If someone defamed your business online you would sing a different tune.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 PM

“No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider” (§ 230(c)(1)), and “No cause of action may be brought and no liability may be imposed under any State or local law that is inconsistent with this section” (§ 230(e)(3)). The fact that it was 4-3, rather than 7-0, is disturbing.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-03-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
If someone defamed your business online you would sing a different tune.
Just think how great it would be for lawyers, a whole new practice area, litigating to enjoin Yelp and Google and Facebook and whatever reviews.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Just think how great it would be for lawyers, a whole new practice area, litigating to enjoin Yelp and Google and Facebook and whatever reviews.
Defamation lawyers. The already exist. Instead of suing for money damages they'd sue for money damages and a requirement that the offending defamation be removed online. Not that big of a deal.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
“No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider” (§ 230(c)(1)), and “No cause of action may be brought and no liability may be imposed under any State or local law that is inconsistent with this section” (§ 230(e)(3)). The fact that it was 4-3, rather than 7-0, is disturbing.

Seems pretty clear to me.
No one is claiming that Yelp should be liable for the defamation posted on its site -- just that they should be required to remove defamatory posts.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The woman who made the false, defamatory post in the Yelp case was sued personally and didn't respond. She had no concern about a 7 figure default judgement being entered against her as she has no money. This leaves the aggrieved party with no recourse and is why I think the ruling stinks.
There should be some way to make her criminally liable. Then she could be thrown in jail and the punishment would fit the offense. Separating the two aspects of the situation, I see your point.

For the record, posts have been modified or taken down on this board because of blatantly false information. So i do agree with the premise that someone shouldn't be able to trash someone else (or company), falsely, with no real consequences. I have no problem taking care of common sense situations on our board.

Btw, for those that sent a kind word on how this board is managed, thanks. It's appreciated. I can't imagine running it any other way than having people be accountable for what they write/say by having their names next to their posts.

Last edited by Leon; 07-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:44 AM

People in general have such thin skin anymore and it's been getting out of hand for a while.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I’ve had a few clients wanting to go after Yelp trolls for negatives. My approach is to look at the post carefully. Most of these trolls are so socially deficient that their posts give them away: rude, inflammatory, poor grammar and spelling, and so on. Not a sober, serious critique. It is probably better in the end to ignore it or to respond politely and rationally to the post and let the troll craziness speak for itself.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Defamation lawyers. The already exist. Instead of suing for money damages they'd sue for money damages and a requirement that the offending defamation be removed online. Not that big of a deal.
I disagree. Once you're talking about permitting affirmative censorship by the government, that's a big deal.