NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Brian

Default Where are the OJs of Pete Browning -The Original "Louisville Slugger" ?

I have wondered for many years why it is that Old Judge cards of Browning are almost never on the open market. According the OJ book there are five poses. He is listed as a "scarce card" (like HOFer Amos Rusie) but not a "very scarce card" (like HOFer Bid McPhee, for example) He ranks somewhere around the 75-100th most rare subject in the set. This conclusion may have been revised by the OJ mavens since publication back a decade ago.
According to VCP there are no sale prices for any of the Brownings N172's listed...
These lack of sales are consistent with my experience.
The closest I ever came to actually buying a Browning OJ card was a nearly decapitated one that TIK & TIK (Terry Knouse, Sr.) had in his case many years ago ... it was about 2/3 of a card ... I don't recall ever seeing any other Brownings for sale in anyone else's cases back when I attended shows more than once every few years. I have never seen one at the Nationals that I attend when it is held in Chicago (Rosemont).

I understand that Browning is a desired OJ subject -- he's not in any other commonly available issues. But, again, the same applies to McPhee who is a HOFer and his cards do appear on the open market with some frequency.

Is it just that Browning is so rare, or is something else at work? Does someone or someones have a standing "buy order" on any Brownings that surfaces in the OJ collecting community? Is this a bit of minor league conspiracy theorizing on my part?
___
BTW-- If you don't know about Pete Browning he has a fascinating and sad story (see Wikipedia etc -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Browning) ... He was the original "Louisville Slugger"
Also, he's got great stats in that 19th Century American Association hitter kind of way --> See Baseball reference - https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rownpe01.shtml)
... He's has a lifetime .341 average with a .400+ season in 1887.

He's not really HOF material in my book, but that's another thread.
--
This is not really a request to buy a Browning. My sense is that the price would be too high given my collecting priorities at the moment but I do wonder what that price is...
In conclusion, any further information would be appreciated to help satisfy my long-festering curiosity.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:03 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hi Brian! Speaking only for myself, if we rewrote the book today there would be several changes in the rarities section, with Browning being one. What you are experiencing is a function of how scarce some Old Judges really are. I can list quite a few cards that, baring Dave Levin’s two historic finds, I haven’t seen offered for sale in ten to fifteen years. Many of those are not popular players. Browning is both very scarce and very popular. If I am reading the pop reports correctly (the SGC pop report for Old Judges is a disaster) there are seven graded copies of Browning. I know of over ten raw copies. Putting those together, I would guess that there are roughly five copies of each pose in private collections, or about 25 copies total. That wouldn’t put the card in the rare class, but it would put it in the very scarce class, especially since I don’t see the cards in advanced collections coming to market any time soon.

Last edited by oldjudge; 10-13-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 PM

I think the lack of his cards for sale is a combo of the rarity, his popularity, plus the potential for him to make the Hall of Fame. No one wants to be the person who sells a Hall of Famer from the OJ set before they make the Hall. Cards instantly skyrocket in prices. The popularity makes him someone who people keep longer.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Brian

Thanks for the Update Jay !

As to the "potential HOFer" angle -- I think Browning is long shot HOF candidate...But if you collect 19th Century stars he is a must (and good luck!)

The current leading HOF candidate who played in the 19th Century is Dahlen (he came close last time they had a vote)... The other 19th century players who have gotten the most ink include Glasscock, Mullane and Stovey.

The process for electing early baseball players (pre-1949) to the HOF warrants its own thread.
https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-fam...all-(1871-1949)

The next vote is in 2020 ...
Old 10-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I also heard his scarcity might be due to his possibility to get in the Hall of Fame too. And if Jay says he is scarce he is probably scarce (except for the pile of them Jay has )

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I think the lack of his cards for sale is a combo of the rarity, his popularity, plus the potential for him to make the Hall of Fame. No one wants to be the person who sells a Hall of Famer from the OJ set before they make the Hall. Cards instantly skyrocket in prices. The popularity makes him someone who people keep longer.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great biography, courtesy of SABR:https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/b4fdac3f