NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2002, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Don Betz

VCBC Issue #30 was delivered to the mailing house today, April 18th, and will be mailed out on Monday or Tuesday of next week. We intended to mail on March 29th but numerous delays at the printers, some their fault, most mine, caused the delay.

I would have posted on this board before but was not aware of the "concern" until Jaime L. emailed me yesterday. I apologize for not being more vigilant.

Some facts about VCBC:
I think we were doing a pretty good job with each issue until my wife got sick last June. We'd printed 7 issues in 9 months and subscriptions had doubled. We had numerous projects in various degrees of completion. Things were actually looking quite positive for VCBC.

Then our personal tragedy hit us harder than most folks could ever imagine. You couldn't understand until and unless it has happened to you. Then September 11th hit us, again a tragedy hard to swallow, and then the holidays took a toll on my children and I. I realize that these are my problems and my burdens and of little concern to most. But, this is the honest answer on why VCBC wasn't published for over 6 months. It had nothing to do with ability, nothing to do with finances, I just, literally, didn't feel like it.

Today, and for the future, I plan to continue to publish VCBC. I'm taking a leave of absence from Jays Sports Connection for one year during which time I plan to concentrate my full efforts on making VCBC the kind of publication my wife and I envisioned 18 months ago when we bought it from Dennis Purdy. Issue #31 will be mailed next month, #32 in June and so on and so forth.

We're going forward with the "numerous projects" the first of which is our long delayed web site which we will launch in late July. We have recently purchased vcbc.com and have hired a web site "guru", Brent Harclerode, to help us create a useful site for VCBC subscribers. This stuff takes time. Covad is installing our T-1 line on May 1st. This will be a fun site.

VCBC has no debt, it is not profitable, but it has sufficient capital and resources. We are not in any danger of going under. We are not for sale. We have had three serious, un-solicited, offers. I repeat, we are not for sale.

Issue #30 is a good issue but not a great issue. The great issues are yet to come. #30 does have two (2)interesting articles from the "bastard lawyer" one concerning the "bastard" grading companies and one concerning the "bastards" at ebay.

If anyone has any issues to discuss with the publisher of VCBC you can call me 7 days a week at 800-417-7670, normally from 10am-7pm, or you can email me at jaysport@erols.com. I'm very accesible. Also, I'll be happy to answer any postings on this site for the next 3 or 4 days but after that I'd prefer you contact me directly. I do promise to monitor this site more carefully.

Finally, I apologize for this wordy posting but it is evident to me that the people on this board are passionate about vintage cards and VCBC. I sincerely thank you. If any subscriber on this board would like me to send #30 by Priority Mail next week (at no charge) I would be happy to do so if you send me your name by email (jaysport@erols.com) This includes Julie and Warshaw.

Thanks for caring and thanks for listening.

Don Betz
Publisher of VCBC

Old 04-19-2002, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Excellent news!

Thanks for replying and the best of lucks for the new VCBC.

jl

Old 04-19-2002, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Brian Hodes

Thanks for the update.
I am rooting for your success and will call you sometime about maybe writing something for VCBC.

Old 04-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: leon

I think a lot of us on the board have been through similiar situations. I know how hard it can be as I have also lost a few very close relatives. Not my wife but both my mother and mother in law- (very recently). Thanks for replying. I can speak for all of us in saying our hearts are with you. Thanks again for the magaizine we all love and best of luck..warmest regards

Old 04-19-2002, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Harry

I can't imaginge what you must have gone through. I am looking forward to future issues.

Old 04-19-2002, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: TBob

and good luck in the future. The hobby needs a publication such as yours, a welcome relief from the Pokeman and modern chase card driven hobby publications.
I know there is a wealth of information among the posters on this board, not only with particular card issues but ebay, auctions and the hooby in general so finding contributors to your magazine should not be hard.
Bob M.

Old 04-20-2002, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

......don't forget the project I mentioned to you a while back - doing "on demand" reprints of the collected issues of The Old Judge newsletter!

OK?

Hang in there!

Old 04-20-2002, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Julie Vognar

"This includes Julie and Warshaw (sp?)" Gotta look and see what we said. Due to the egregious mail delivery in Berkeley, I would like EVERY VCBC priority mail, at my expense.

As I said a coupla days ago, one VCBC is the only thing sent me thaT EVER permanently got lost in the mail, though I asked for and received several second sendings--only to receive the first one very, very late.

You certainly have plenty of experts here-maybe someone would like to write an article on Vintage Baseball card Forum? E95s? Jay Miller knows everything there is to know about Old Judges--I don't think VCBC has ever had an article devoted to them.

We all wish you and VCBC the best of everything.

Old 04-20-2002, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Don Betz

Those hippies in Berkley ALWAYS steal your VCBC! Actually, an Old Judge Price Guide is in the works. I've been promised a draft by early December with a 2003 publishing date.

Old 04-21-2002, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: warshawlaw

VCBC is an eminently worthy venture, one that I hope survives well into the future. We all care passionately about our hobby and were terribly afraid that the "bastards" were going to win again. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers; I'm not an a*****e, I just play one on TV.

Old 04-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

as long as it's also as complete a checklist as possible. price guides date themselves within a year...sob.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Brueso

Have any of you VBC subscribers gotten your new issue yet?

Bob

Old 04-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: Brueso

....anyone who gets theres, please post that information.

Bob

Old 04-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Posted By: warshawlaw

But I was one of the writers so I got four of 'em via priority mail (thanx Don). See, if you write some articles for publication (and I know that many of you could; you certainly know enough about what you collect), there are perks.

Old 04-26-2002, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

Also priority mail. Especially liked the two articles by Adam S. Warshaw. Anybody ever heard of him around here?

Old 04-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC Update

who's that on the cover?