NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Clayton

That was a great post Tim (as always),,and just on the topic of the Red Cobb/Red Hindu back......I can understand why people would be skeptical of the card since other "doctored' Red Hindu combo's made it past certain graders/TPG's- but I also think that since this IS a possible combo (based on other's hard work & research), and this card was auctioned by REA (Mr.Lifson has no problem rejecting cards/items he doesn't feel are legit, from what I've seen),,passed the grading process, has been viewed by veteran collectors who felt it was legit(that's based on what I've read here), and sold for large amounts of money when it has been auctioned,,,,,,,,,,I tend to want to think
it's legit.

I read the REA write-up of the Red Cobb/Red Hindu, and it was written very well, acknowledging this is THE only known card with this combo.......it did say they "heard" of another, but had never seen the other.

Now- fast forward to the recent T207 Lowdermilk with the Red Cross back. This card was unheard of until the recent find,,,and I wonder if it wasn't part of this find,and just popped up,would it too be put under the same scrutiny as the Red Cobb/Red Hindu? Keep in mind- This T207 Lowdermilk with the Red Cross back is THE ONLY KNOWN EXAMPLE in the hobby.

My point is- or my question is- does the Red Cobb/Red Hindu not have a "find" story behind it? Is that why it's hard for some to accept/believe? Was it just sitting in an old collection that someone sold/auctioned off with no "amazing find story" behind it?

Thanks for listening-

Sincerely, Clayton

*edit to add- I was writing my long winded post when you posted John- after reading your post, I realize there are stories I don't know about regarding this card.

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 06-04-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling, etc
Old 06-04-2011, 12:05 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Clayton,

In a nutshell the Cobb in question has ties to a known person who was known for re-backing Cobb’s or creating forgeries.

Just like with Chan many of these cards end up with collectors who don’t know any better or deep down inside know better but want to believe.

Understandably very few folks would want to admit their pride and joy could be a creation. With the advent of TPG once it’s in a holder it becomes with many folks a hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil situation.

The fact that the card sold in REA isn’t odd and certainly does not give credibility to any item. REA has sold a fair share of items that have been in question and remain in question also many times items are won back by the forgers themselves when the jig is up or to set values to set up private sales.

Scary out there so be careful and never be afraid to question something, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck most likely it’s too late and you’re ducked.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Leon I would be happy to share with you in private but even stated as theory (LOL or Survey) I’m not comfortable at this point mentioning in detail publicly I have my reasons when the time is right you know me not against a public smack down if you will.

The SGC 50 Mathewson Red Hindu was a re-back with no wrinkles FYI. Besides if I take the time to type it all out 9 times out of 10 I get told I'm a dullard who hasn't been doing this since the 80's

Last edited by wonkaticket; 06-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Clayton

Default Thanks John

Thanks, I get what you're saying

I appreciate your response also- and look forward to the day we can all get the story behind the subject

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default John

Hey John
No worries at all. I certainly understand about everything you said. All we can go by is the proof we have and our hobby experiences, to put it simply. I respect your experiences my friend.....now about those beers at the National....
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I read the REA write-up of the Red Cobb/Red Hindu, and it was written very well, acknowledging this is THE only known card with this combo.......it did say they "heard" of another, but had never seen the other.
For years people speculated about a Tango Eggs Cobb and whether it really existed or not. Someone claimed to own one but never produced a scan or any other proof to my knowledge and this caused greater speculation. Then earlier this year one was found, graded by SGC and auctioned. Tango Cobb is real.

I believe the Red Cobb/Red Hindu is about as scarce as a Broad Leaf 460 and I hope that one day another will surface and relegate the suspect REA example to a moot point.

Several new Uzit and brown Lenox have been confirmed in just the last year. Also recently lesser tough backs like Tolstoi and Old Mill have had new confirmations of examples that are 1 of 1 on pop reports or previously unknown. We're long from done confirming probable front/back combos within the T206 set and IMO anyone bold enough to claim that a card doesn't exist in spite of the data showing it's a possible/front back combo is taking a close minded approach and ignoring important information.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 06-04-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Pup6913

How does every thread started about other cards end up with T206's?