NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Default RIP: "Dandy Don" Meredith

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/06...h-dies/?hpt=T2

Sad news. I didn't even know he was sick.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default certainly sad news

this is certainly sad news.....RIP Don...

I moved this from water cooler talk to the front page as this is big news to all who used to watch Dandy Don and team on Monday Night Football. He will be missed.

Last edited by Leon; 12-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Barry Arnold

Default dandy don

very sad,indeed.
and, for me, a shock.

my condolences to family, friends and fans.

barry
Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Bill Hedin

Default RIP Don

Very sad news indeed. I was just watching the movie about how Monday Night FB started last night.
God Bless him, his family and his legions of fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Fsl2SM2mA

Last edited by bh3443; 12-06-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add on
Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Chris Counts

Wow, that's a surprise. A couple days ago I was watching a clip on YouTube of him on Monday Night Football and I said to a friend that he was just about the most entertaining football announcer ever. Rest in peace Dandy Don ...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Steve Liskey

Default 1964 Topps Don Meredith

Thanks for moving this here Leon! I'm a follower of this forum, but collect Dallas Cowboys cards and memorabilia. I'm a little to young to remember Meredith playing, but his legacy grew over the years as his place in Cowboys history was cemented forever.

Like Bob Lemke in the Football section of this forum, I too create my own custom cards, tapping into the classic card designs of Topps, Fleer, and the rest. I recently made this 1964 Topps Don Meredith and wanted to share it here as a tribute.

For those that are not familiar with football cards, Topps only made cards for the AFL from 1964-67. This 1964 Topps card is what could have been, if things were different.

Last edited by CowboysGuide; 12-06-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Ke.n K0hen

For those of us old enough to have watched those MNF broadcasts, the man was a national treasure. Needless to say, he will be missed.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Mike Dugan

Dandy was always a favorite. The really distressing news last night came from one of his close friends realting that most of his brain problems stemmed directly from old football injuries. We can can send people into space but we can't come up with a safe helmet?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM

I will always remember that Oilers vs Raiders game...when that guy in the stands gave the finger right at the camera..and Don said "He thinks they’re No. 1.” RIP Danderoo!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Dandy was always a favorite. The really distressing news last night came from one of his close friends realting that most of his brain problems stemmed directly from old football injuries. We can can send people into space but we can't come up with a safe helmet?
Helmets have evolved exponentially since Dandy Don played. If you put his old suspension helmet next to a modern helmet, the two would barely resemble one another... especially on the inside.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Mike Dugan

I remember wearing the old suspension helmets back in the 1960s, heck I even remember the first Riddells that replaced our old "space helmets" with the ears that stuck out.

The fact is even today's helmets do not protect very well. After playing football from 7th grade into college I now seldom watch the game, especially the pro game. Too violent and too many thugs. Still many great people envolved but plenty of problems.

I prefer baseball for its' pace and excitement and I will always contend there are more steroids in any one college football conference than baseball ever saw!