NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 08:21 AM
To.m Pisan.ic

Default Active PSA Scam on eBay- Fake Jordans, Mantles and possibly Cobbs, Youngs, Mays

eBay member "flavoroutlet" approached me through eBay and asked if I was interested in trading a PSA 9 Fleer Jordan rookie for an SGC 55 1933 Goudey Ruth. He sent me high res scans (see attached) and as the latest auction prices for these cards are very similar, I said I was interested. I received the card and it looked completely fine and I immediately sold it for ~$6K.

The scammer then proceeded to try to sell me two more Jordan PSA 9's, which made me suspicious. I searched eBay listings and found a recently sold Jordan with the same certification number as the one I sold. I relayed this information to the buyer of the Jordan and am refunding his money. The scammer was also in the process of trying to sell a PSA 10 Jordan to him for $25K!

I actually spoke with the scammer and he admitted that the Jordan is fake. He claims that he is given these counterfeit cards (see other attached pics) and commissioned to scam people through eBay. He also told me he has done this numerous times and even sold a PSA 10 for $18K!!

What is even more concerning is that during this whole debacle, I called PSA to inform them of what was going on and they seemed only minimally concerned. They asked that I just send them some pics and they would get back to me...which was four days ago. I no longer trust PSA on high value cards and will be favoring SGC in the future. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (74.7 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (76.1 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg image009.jpg (76.0 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg image010.jpg (76.6 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0693.jpg (75.6 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0714.jpg (78.1 KB, 623 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.jpg (77.0 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0718.jpg (77.3 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0720.jpg (77.4 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0721.jpg (72.6 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0722.jpg (73.0 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0723.jpg (69.2 KB, 617 views)
Old 06-17-2016, 09:39 AM
D@le Irv*n

I have noticed a lot of 52 Topps Mantles for sale lately, which I find odd, but I never noticed/paid attention to the sellers name.

These guys are going to ruin the hobby, it's only a matter of time!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:35 AM

post the scammers username please
Old 06-21-2016, 12:31 PM
roger maines
Banned

Wow, it didn't take long for people to figure out how to fake the new PSA slabs. I better check out mine to make sure they arnt fake.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Jeremy L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargell1 View Post
Wow, it didn't take long for people to figure out how to fake the new PSA slabs. I better check out mine to make sure they arnt fake.
How can you tell?
Old 06-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Sal Bitonti

Seriously man, how many threads are you going to start on here saying the same things? Your story doesn't add up, and you have unanswered questions on your first thread regarding this!

Current deals:
Old 07-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Paul

I find it hard to believe there are counterfeit PSA graded cards out there. As a multi billion dollar corporation with their own interest and reputation to protect I find it hard to believe that the company would sit on the sidelines and allow this to happen. At this point I'm sceptical of your post.

You make it sound like PSA is a couple of guys sitting in their basement spewing out slabbed graded cards with absolutely no regard to security or the integrity of the product they sell. With PSA being a publicly traded company, I find your post to be highly unlikely to occur. But if thats what you think, then I would contact PSA and have them investigate as their has been an obvious security breach.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
I find it hard to believe there are counterfeit PSA graded cards out there. As a multi billion dollar corporation with their own interest and reputation to protect I find it hard to believe that the company would sit on the sidelines and allow this to happen. At this point I'm sceptical of your post.

You make it sound like PSA is a couple of guys sitting in their basement spewing out slabbed graded cards with absolutely no regard to security or the integrity of the product they sell. With PSA being a publicly traded company, I find your post to be highly unlikely to occur. But if thats what you think, then I would contact PSA and have them investigate as their has been an obvious security breach.
Great post. I agree 100% PSA is by far the best thing to ever happen to this hobby. I would also like to add they PSA has never made a mistake and IF you think they have YOU are wrong.

LOL, Ok back to the real world now.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:34 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Seriously man, how many threads are you going to start on here saying the same things? Your story doesn't add up, and you have unanswered questions on your first thread regarding this!
+1
Old 07-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post

With that statement, I am wondering how many counterfeits in reseals you own. Never put your faith 100 percent in a plastic case.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
With that statement, I am wondering how many counterfeits in reseals you own. Never put your faith 100 percent in a plastic case.
I have more faith in the cards I own, rather than any cards that are not professionally graded (By a legitimate company)..If you collect ungraded cards do so at your own peril.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:01 PM

Default Also goes by goatcollector and gemmint123

This guy's "name" is Carlos Topete. He lives in San Diego. Luckily I reached out to people more knowledgeable than I am and was able to thwart losing $25k of cards. I thought the color was off because it was faded and that's what resulted in the 3.5 grade. With Centering being slightly off and sharp corners it made sense until someone pointed out the shadow of the PSA hologram being indicative of someone gluing it on.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:25 AM
roger maines
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reversek View Post
This guy's "name" is Carlos Topete. He lives in San Diego. Luckily I reached out to people more knowledgeable than I am and was able to thwart losing $25k of cards. I thought the color was off because it was faded and that's what resulted in the 3.5 grade. With Centering being slightly off and sharp corners it made sense until someone pointed out the shadow of the PSA hologram being indicative of someone gluing it on.
Are these real PSA slabs?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Just adding to it...From another site. Anyone notice the difference? Same number, different case, different card, Notice on the flat laying card it has a hologram on the case, plus one cardhas a PD on the left lower blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0693.jpg (75.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Jordan PSA 10 Front_zpsvy67bwhv.jpg (74.5 KB, 184 views)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Scott Russell

well it could be that the owner wanted to get a new hologram holder. A reholder keeps the same #. Not seeing the PD you are mentioning.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
well it could be that the owner wanted to get a new hologram holder. A reholder keeps the same #. Not seeing the PD you are mentioning.
I do see a small print defect in the blue section on the right side of card #1 (on the left) which I do not see on the card #2 on the right
Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I do see a small print defect in the blue section on the right side of card #1 (on the left) which I do not see on the card #2 on the right
Thats what I meant, just said the wrong side. Someone is attempting to trade this card to someone right now. Luckily the person now knows it is a Fake.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Scott Russell

Card is in a slab, in a bag (what idiot leaves a $30,000 card in a bag when photographing it for sales purposes?) so I have no way of knowing if the blurry white dot to which you are referring is actually on the card.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Card is in a slab, in a bag (what idiot leaves a $30,000 card in a bag when photographing it for sales purposes?) so I have no way of knowing if the blurry white dot to which you are referring is actually on the card.
The kind that knows it isnt a $30,000 card but a forgery. Also one case has the hologram one doesnt. Two entirely different pieces. The letters are spaced differently as well. Plus the picture of the one without the hologram is the one sent 3 days ago, and the picture of the one with the holo is an older picture. So the question is, which one is real, which one is fake? Or are they both fake? Here is a pick of the lettering. The top One is of the psa10 with the dark background. The bottom is of a BGS card. The PSA 10 with the dark background is 100% fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan.jpg (63.6 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by callou2131; 08-04-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
post the scammers username please
He tried to get me too... Here is his info:

User ID Effective Date End Date
cardexpert80 Jul-25-16 Present
gemmintsports123 Jun-19-16 Jul-25-16
flavoroutlet Sep-09-12 Jun-19-16
itvisions Jul-15-12 Sep-09-12
autowizardry Sep-19-02 Jul-15-12
Old 08-12-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reversek View Post
Yup - tried the exact some scam here. Collectors really need to pay attention to this guy. He likes to keep it around $25k worth of cards.... and he said he trades (does this) all the time. I was all for it when he wanted to mail me two Jordan's PSA's (overnighted) in good faith. If it's to good to be true then it is.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:56 PM
will.iam Ho.r n.e

Default Looking for some help

Hey friends -- looking for a little help here. Unfortunately, I've recently been in contact with the fraudster described here earlier. I didn't do enough homework in time, and let my optimistic nature get the better of me.

But he is still out there peddling extremely well done counterfeit PSA items, and I'm trying to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.

If anyone can remember any details, or has any old texts/emails from interactions with this scammer - please PM me directly. His ebay handle has been changed again recently now to sufferman11515. If you have any contact with him, please let this board (and me) know asap. thanks!
Old 08-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Those variation B 52Ts don't seem to have the missing pixel?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:28 AM
Arthur R!ch

Most of those cards require 3 seconds to confirm they're bogus. Is it the slab or the possible great deal that blinds people?

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 08-20-2018, 06:29 AM
Arthur R!ch

And sorry this happened to you, William. There's no excuse for scammers and thieves. I hope they get nailed to a wall.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx