NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Default Johnny Vander Meer holy grail pickups

Many thanks to net54 board member Chris Gamble for allowing me to add these holy grail Vandy items related to John Vander Meer Day in Johnny's home town Midland Park, NJ on September 21, 1938:

The first item is an original program from the event. I've always hoped that I would find one of these ever since Chris showed me a scan of this over a year ago.

The second is an original photo of the John Vander Meer Testimonial Dinner attended by many of Vandy's family, friends and neighbors. Vandy is difficult to see in this scan, but he's seated at the table in the back of the room at the base of the American flag.

Condition issues aside, these are extremely scarce collectibles from the same year that Vander Meer became the only pitcher in ML history to throw back to back consecutive no-hitters on 6/11/38 and 6/15/38. I'm very happy to add these to my personal collection. Thanks Chris!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Many thanks to net54 board member Chris Gamble for allowing me to add these holy grail Vandy items related to John Vander Meer Day in Johnny's home town Midland Park, NJ on September 21, 1938:

The first item is an original program from the event. I've always hoped that I would find one of these ever since Chris showed me a scan of this over a year ago.

The second is an original photo of the John Vander Meer Testimonial Dinner attended by many of Vandy's family, friends and neighbors. Vandy is difficult to see in this scan, but he's seated at the table in the back of the room at the base of the American flag.

Condition issues aside, these are extremely scarce collectibles from the same year that Vander Meer became the only pitcher in ML history to throw back to back consecutive no-hitters on 6/11/38 and 6/15/38. I'm very happy to add these to my personal collection. Thanks Chris!
Congratulations on adding those to your collection!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Congratulations on adding those to your collection!
Thanks Mike!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Adam Phillips

Clearly this isn't in the same league as the other pick ups. However, it's significant to me for a couple of reasons. The bat represents my first local find and my first game used piece. I found it at a local flea market and picked it up for 10.00. It belonged to John Parker a 4th round pick of the Philies in 1965. Parker was a pitcher and bounced around the minors before leaving the game in 1971. A huge thanks to Brock L. for taking the time to answer my bat questions.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Ciaran

I don't collect negatives though am a collector of early World Cup (soccer) memorabilia and recently purchased some negatives from the first World Cup tournament held in Uruguay in 1930.

Yesterday, I decided to add to those with a few baseball negatives from George Burke (via John Rogers photo archive):

Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
I don't collect negatives though am a collector of early World Cup (soccer) memorabilia and recently purchased some negatives from the first World Cup tournament held in Uruguay in 1930.

Yesterday, I decided to add to those with a few baseball negatives from George Burke (via John Rogers photo archive):

Cool images.. Are these glass?

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1936 Los Angeles streetcar ticket featuring an image of Joe Louis and advertising the Golden Gloves competition. Believe it or not, prior to WWII Los Angeles had a vibrant and efficient public transport system of streetcars that was acquired and killed by the auto-related industries and politicians willing to back the freeway system. All we have left are very colorful and collectible tickets.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post

I didn't realize Rogers was parting with any of his negatives. Those are great - I especially like the Walter Johnson.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Ryan

Mike - Great Dimaggio photo. I had a bid in on it. I was hoping no one else noticed it was from his rookie year..
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default 1927 Yankees Spring Training Schedule

I have had this a while, but thought some of the Yankee fans might want to see it. It came from Ray Morehart's estate (sub for the '27 Yankees), and I guess he or his wife drew Babe Ruth on the front of it:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I didn't realize Rogers was parting with any of his negatives. Those are great - I especially like the Walter Johnson.
Via eBay seller lexibell-racing. At first I was afraid that Mary Brace was breaking up the archives that her father, George Brace, inherited/acquired from George Burke, adding his own photos to for the next 40+ years. But seeing what they have, it seems more likely that these are continuing to trickle out from the estate of Jim Rowe, with the reference to Mary Brace being a caveat that she retains the rights to the images? I sent the seller a message asking for clarification, but haven't received an answer, so this is all speculation at this point.

Also, that is not meant to take anything away from the pick-ups. A Burke is a Burke, and those are some phenomenal shots! I only wish I had more expendable income right now to pick some up myself, if for no other reason than to add to my library of Burke scans (without those darned watermarks they throw in every image).

Correction: Upon checking the bracephoto.com website, I noticed that the contact address has been changed to Rogers Photo Archive, so the negatives are definitely from the Burke/Brace collection that Mary had been managing (with family help) following George Brace's passing. There are about another 250 or so negatives coming up in the next Legendary auction (with some familiar key images) that I just got an e-mail about today, and those are just the tip of the iceberg with many thousands more in the archive.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 11-16-2012 at 02:49 PM.