NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2017, 03:59 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default reports from the 2017 National

So I'm waiting for my carry on bag to go through the scanner. The TSA agent grabs my bag, takes it to a secure area and says follow me. So I'm plenty early for my flight, I've not packed anything illegal, and I appreciate TSA security. The agent pulls out a stack of 100 sixteen pocket Ultra Pro sheets wrapped in Saran Wrap. Gives me a look like cocaine? Stacks of cash? I admit it looks very suspicious and state "Ultra Pro plastic sheets that hold 1948 Bowman baseball cards". She points me to another TSA guy, who proceeds to pat me down in all the wrong places.
It's gonna be a hell of a week!
Larry
Old 07-26-2017, 04:27 AM
Robert Williams

LOL..>Them damn baseball card nerds...lol
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 AM
Scott Russell

Wait, they make a size for 1948 -50 bowman?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

No dinner or movie before the " pat down "?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
exactly what I was thinking!!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

It could be this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (42.3 KB, 1742 views)

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Dave_Berg

Ultra Pro makes a 12 pocket 2 1/4 x 2 1/2 that fit my 49B perfectly
IMG_6223.jpg
Old 07-26-2017, 07:56 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
That's them. 12 pocket sheets. ORD
Larry
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
It could be this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Attachment 281776
Geez, Larry is getting the pat down of his life and you nerds are jealous of his ultra pro sheets.

I've got your back Larry. If the TSA agents forgot their Ziplok doggy bags, part with a few sheets and you'll be fine.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

TSA screenings are pretty much useless and only serve to delay and embarrass travelers.

For those who did not already know -- https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ective/394778/

And theft by TSA employees is commonplace -- https://www.rt.com/usa/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/
Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Scott Russell

I always thought the 12's were a bit loose
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Kyle May

TSA can bite me.

I hope you didn't get too violated.

On a hobby related note, I do like those pages!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

TSA: Touch sensitive areas.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Kin K.

Yup, I've begun using those sheets for my T36 set. So far, so good.

Oh yeah, I despise TSA.

-kin
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 PM

I just got back from the national. Some very nice vintage down there. I seen a guy have a 1952 mantle topps psa 9 and a 1953 topps mantle psa 10!! Bring the checkbook for those bad boys. All in all lots of nice stuff.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlythefinest2327 View Post
I just got back from the national. Some very nice vintage down there. I seen a guy have a 1952 mantle topps psa 9 and a 1953 topps mantle psa 10!! Bring the checkbook for those bad boys. All in all lots of nice stuff.
That's crazy. I can't wait to see
Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
So I'm waiting for my carry on bag to go through the scanner. The TSA agent grabs my bag, takes it to a secure area and says follow me. So I'm plenty early for my flight, I've not packed anything illegal, and I appreciate TSA security. The agent pulls out a stack of 100 sixteen pocket Ultra Pro sheets wrapped in Saran Wrap. Gives me a look like cocaine? Stacks of cash? I admit it looks very suspicious and state "Ultra Pro plastic sheets that hold 1948 Bowman baseball cards". She points me to another TSA guy, who proceeds to pat me down in all the wrong places.
It's gonna be a hell of a week!
Larry
Heh. I went on vacation a few weeks back and bought a bunch of baseballs, postcards and other assorted memorabilia items. I packed them in a backpack for carrying on the plane. I noticed that my family sailed through and they set my backpack aside. They were seemingly ignoring it so I asked them if I could get my backpack. Then another TSA agent appeared out of nowhere and took me to a station where she unloaded my backpack in a not so nice manner. I had to ask her to please not open the sealed vintage baseballs in original boxes. She ran some machine over it a million times and then put a "swab" in a machine and I guess it came back negative for whatever bad stuff she was looking for because she told me to pack it back up and be on my way. I was hoping for a patdown.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 07-26-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
TSA screenings are pretty much useless and only serve to delay and embarrass travelers.

For those who did not already know -- https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ective/394778/

And theft by TSA employees is commonplace -- https://www.rt.com/usa/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/
I was beginning to think going through the line at Ontario California that I would have been smarter to show up naked. Spending some time down state but will be there Friday and Saturday.

Last edited by kmac32; 07-26-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I was beginning to think going through the line at Ontario California that I would have been smarter to show up naked. Spending some time down state but will be there Friday and Saturday.
They have lines at Ontario?!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:53 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

(Copied from the OBC site sorry)
Spikes flight landed about 1/2 hour after mine, so I waited for him at baggage area #9. Then Taylor picked us up, and we drove the ten minutes right to the show. Many dealers still setting up as it was six hours before the show actually opens up. But plenty dealers were ready for business too . Ran into many OBC members and also several OBC dealers.
Prices seem so cheap on the regular cards we all know and love. I found a ten cent box with 1972 Topps baseball hi numbers ten cents each? I went through six or eight monster boxes and bought all he had (I thought) 38 cards $3.80 also these 1975 Topps football checklists these are pretty scarce as you had to mail off to Topps for the uncut sheet and most kids cut them up. They have team schedule on front team checklist on the back I got 44 of them .10c each a good find for me. Later in the show I saw Ken M in the same bargain box and he found more '72 highs that I missed plus he pulled lots of '73 baseball hi numbers he said were costly all .10c I need to be more tenacious lol!
One of my first stops was Tim Newcomb who mentioned he was breaking up a set of '33 Goudey and I picked up several hits with a great discount including Rogers Hornsby with a thumbtack hole. Looks like I brought in 17 cards for my set and need around 25 more to complete.
'66 Fleer Weird Ohs, and lots of hits to my non sports sets '56 Bubbles Elvis especially but finished of '64 Munsters with the needed variation, also finished off '66 Thunderball on the cheap, and took '63 Popsicle Space cards down to just one needed. Found several needed '55 Rails and Sails hi numbers which are tough $3 each!
So it's 5:55 the show closes at six and I have spent my daily allotment. I visit William Chappells table and see a stack of '35 Goudey 4in1 I am trying for the master set four Babe Ruth cards in the master set. William has one of the two I need exept previous owner wrote "Kenny" on the back! So I was able to pay via PayPal F/F $415 for the Babe bundled with another needed '35 with Cochran and Gehringer. So I had to dig into the reserves but you make exceptions for Babe Ruth.
To bad more dealers dont accept PayPal cause I really hate to carry all this cash cash is king I guess.
Sorry for typos as I am on my phone. Up and ready for another long day!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
They have lines at Ontario?!
They do!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Emlily Ell.is

When we were leaving Disney World in February coming home, my backpack set off the TSA machines. I had a souvenir baseball in it. They opened it and ran the baseball through the machine. They said they had to do so because it's hollow inside and people could hide things in the baseball. I was like really? People will actually do that?

Once they swabbed and scanned it, it came back clear and I was allowed to go on my way. But they patted me down and acted like I was up to something bad before I was eventually cleared. I was pretty upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Heh. I went on vacation a few weeks back and bought a bunch of baseballs, postcards and other assorted memorabilia items. I packed them in a backpack for carrying on the plane. I noticed that my family sailed through and they set my backpack aside. They were seemingly ignoring it so I asked them if I could get my backpack. Then another TSA agent appeared out of nowhere and took me to a station where she unloaded my backpack in a not so nice manner. I had to ask her to please not open the sealed vintage baseballs in original boxes. She ran some machine over it a million times and then put a "swab" in a machine and I guess it came back negative for whatever bad stuff she was looking for because she told me to pack it back up and be on my way. I was hoping for a patdown.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

(Copied from OBC server)
Opening bell found me sorting a big stack of exhibit aircraft cards both white and black numbers buying 66 cards for about .75c each. Two more sets to chase lol. The show seems pretty busy all day to me. To mix things up I got three free autographs NBA Bill Cartwright, Fritz Peterson, and Scott Williamson also PSA took my picture insert into a baseball card and slabbed it kind of fun plus they gave me a mini bat of some kind labeled "Submission Stress Stick" lol I am not kidding!
Visited Net54 member Taxmechanick (Glenn) and bought an 1887 Gold Coin N284 card of Bushong slabbed SGC 10 what 1887? Thanks Glenn I love it!
Met lots of old and new friends both OBC and Net54 then pulled the trigger on some kind of game card featuring the Adams kids Pugsley and Wednesday it just drew me in for three dollars lol!
Finished a bunch of sets today '61 Nu Card Scoops baseball, 1959 Topps Wacky Plaks, 1966 "007", 1967 Topps Maya, 1971 Fleer Drag Champs, 1972 Donruss Choppers and Hot Bikes, and brought several sets down to one or two. I did buy a nice stack of original 1969 Donruss Odd Rods happy to get those.
Eleven hits total now 1934 Diamond Stars baseball and 23 hits 1933 Goudey baseball really gaining some ground on these sets.
Also finished 1953 Topps World on Wheels with two low grade high numbers which are not seen much, one dealer had three high numbers and I needed two. I nicknamed this dealer "half price Harry" cause I would request a price half of what was listed on his already discounted prices and my technique worked most of the time.
As you can see plenty of non sports cards here on the show floor. No gripes from me at all I think the show has been solid. I did start to hear the roar of the crowd over at the box breaks or pack wars area but although it's not my thing plenty of collectors like this fine by me.
I need one card to complete 1966 Philadelphia Green Beret set but bought an unopened wax pack for $10 gonna open that baby up one in sixty-six chance I pull the card I need, don't worry I won't attempt the Gum.
I cancelled on the trip to downtown and had a nice dinner across the street with Taylor, Bob, and Spike with a Van Halen cover band performing on the green they are called Atomic Punk 23 years a cover band? Stopped at Walgreens Bob/Cigs Spike/Pepsi Taylor/nothing Me/Haagen-Dazs I win that version of pack wars!
Exhausted and ready to sleep its 11:18 PM. Got to be ready for tomorrow!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
When we were leaving Disney World in February coming home, my backpack set off the TSA machines. I had a souvenir baseball in it. They opened it and ran the baseball through the machine. They said they had to do so because it's hollow inside and people could hide things in the baseball. I was like really? People will actually do that?

Once they swabbed and scanned it, it came back clear and I was allowed to go on my way. But they patted me down and acted like I was up to something bad before I was eventually cleared. I was pretty upset.
That was a pretty stupid statement by TSA but is not atypical of their modus operandi. Baseballs (regulation ones, anyhow), have a cork center that is surrounded by layers of yarn and rubber. They are not "hollow inside." If they were, they would permanently deform when hit with any type of substantial force.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:37 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
(Copied from OBC server)
Opening bell found me sorting a big stack of exhibit aircraft cards both white and black numbers buying 66 cards for about .75c each. Two more sets to chase lol. The show seems pretty busy all day to me. To mix things up I got three free autographs NBA Bill Cartwright, Fritz Peterson, and Scott Williamson also PSA took my picture insert into a baseball card and slabbed it kind of fun plus they gave me a mini bat of some kind labeled "Submission Stress Stick" lol I am not kidding!
Visited Net54 member Taxmechanick (Glenn) and bought an 1887 Gold Coin N284 card of Bushong slabbed SGC 10 what 1887? Thanks Glenn I love it!
Met lots of old and new friends both OBC and Net54 then pulled the trigger on some kind of game card featuring the Adams kids Pugsley and Wednesday it just drew me in for three dollars lol!
Finished a bunch of sets today '61 Nu Card Scoops baseball, 1959 Topps Wacky Plaks, 1966 "007", 1967 Topps Maya, 1971 Fleer Drag Champs, 1972 Donruss Choppers and Hot Bikes, and brought several sets down to one or two. I did buy a nice stack of original 1969 Donruss Odd Rods happy to get those.
Eleven hits total now 1934 Diamond Stars baseball and 23 hits 1933 Goudey baseball really gaining some ground on these sets.
Also finished 1953 Topps World on Wheels with two low grade high numbers which are not seen much, one dealer had three high numbers and I needed two. I nicknamed this dealer "half price Harry" cause I would request a price half of what was listed on his already discounted prices and my technique worked most of the time.
As you can see plenty of non sports cards here on the show floor. No gripes from me at all I think the show has been solid. I did start to hear the roar of the crowd over at the box breaks or pack wars area but although it's not my thing plenty of collectors like this fine by me.
I need one card to complete 1966 Philadelphia Green Beret set but bought an unopened wax pack for $10 gonna open that baby up one in sixty-six chance I pull the card I need, don't worry I won't attempt the Gum.
I cancelled on the trip to downtown and had a nice dinner across the street with Taylor, Bob, and Spike with a Van Halen cover band performing on the green they are called Atomic Punk 23 years a cover band? Stopped at Walgreens Bob/Cigs Spike/Pepsi Taylor/nothing Me/Haagen-Dazs I win that version of pack wars!
Exhausted and ready to sleep its 11:18 PM. Got to be ready for tomorrow!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone
Great update Larry, thank you for sharing.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Jason Wells

The Chicago National is the nicest show I have been to. This is my 3rd NSCC and by far the most productive for my collection. I arrived at the GA opening at 10 am. With having such a small focus I was able to check all the tables for a initial inventory of T cards in about 3 hours. About two hours in a think I was struck with card blindness and it became a little overwhelming just the sheer size of the place. I will say it is a T206 collectors dream come true. Some for fair prices, some for card show prices.I saw a lot of rare back T206. Many from just one dealer. I met for the first time and also reconnected with a few members. I have to admit its good seeing people after years of digital communication.

As far as my purchasing went I finally broke my streak of maybe 5-6 shows without a Red Border pickup. Happy to add a Series 8 Pepe from Ed Hans for a fair price. It will fit nicely in my low grade Series set. I have a nice upgrade reserved from MPeich and have my eyes on a couple N172 for my two player runs. Sadly I didnt come across a single T209-2. Those as well as new to the market T210's are getting harder to come by. All in all a outstanding show and im looking forward to day two as well as the Net54 shindig!
Old 07-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So far I have bought a nice orange borders Eddie Collins and a couple nice T205 commons for my set. Also, on the sales side someone wanted my 1860 ambrotype and snapped it up before the show opened the first day. I also sold my Goudey Ruth to a board member and the tintype of the game in action. That person who bought the Ambrotype wanted it too. Just as in selling my initial collection I always think the chase is, actually, most of the fun. Now I will have my sights on another Goudey Ruth. And I have seen at least one coming to auction I have an interest in......and later tonight I am looking forward to another great Net54baseball banquet. Hope to see all who can make it.

And a shout out to Lucky Larry who may be the nicest person in the hobby. And also to Brian Drent at Mile High Card Co for allowing me to have a case at his tables. Heck, I might think about this as a strategy going forward....( a case instead of fully setting up)
Old 07-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Was there Thursday for a while. Leon, looked for you a few times where Scott and Mile High was. Sorry I missed you. Saw a number of board members and most of the famous/infamous sellers. Probstein, Levi, PWCC folks. Said hello to many of the dealers I've done business with. Ted Z., stopped by a few times and you were deep in conversation so didn't bug you.

My impression overall was that it looked exactly the same as Atlantic City last year. I'm sure the consensus of the majority of board members will be that it was far better than last year, particularly among people who didn't go east last year. To me there was no difference. Foot traffic was impressive but I'm sure Thursday is the slowest day. I heard from a number of dealers that Wed. night was crazy.

I great mix of old, new, memorabilia and of course cards. Same trends we talk about all the time. Photos have taken off in popularity and price. Older exhibits were few and far between. Just don't see many of the 4 on 1s anymore. Most everybody was friendly and accommodating, though most dealers are reconnecting with friends and buying themselves so a lot of rushing around.

I actually spent time monitoring a few ebay auctions.

Didn't spend a dollar which was a little odd. Found three great high ticket cards and considered them all. All overpriced. A 34 Gehrig Caramel PSA 6. A bunch of 21 Ruth Exhibits. And a Maple Crispette Ruth 5. All big ticket and came close to buying the Gehrig but the dealer (a nice guy) started dicking me around about taking a credit card and splitting fees and I bailed. No, I don't carry $7,000 in cash with me often. Nice guy and I guess I just wasn't in a high end buying mood.

The one dealer that blew my doors off was Card Country. The had a case of green Cobbs and a case of red Cobbs. Are you kidding me? They had 4 21 Ruth Exhibits and I considered their PSA 4. Card was beautiful.

Saw AL from LOTG and a lot of the cool stuff in his upcoming auction.

Saw the maven of Ruth photos himself Ben and met some of his friends.

Be nice if these convention centers had decent food. Had the worst slice of pizza I've ever eaten. Deep dish is bad enough. This would have worked as a door stop perhaps.

Probably won't be in a rush to get to next years. There really isn't a deal to be had, and if there is believe me it's been scarfed up before the doors open. It's an overwhelming experience and I didn't see a single really rare card that grabbed me. Coolest stuff there is being displayed by the auction houses for their upcoming auctions.

Over and out.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-28-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Nice summary Steve
Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Our fellow board member with the Japanese related auction house had an awesome set up. Really cool stuff. And someone had a booth of all Cuban stuff which was nice to see. Not the usual stuff. Did not see a lot of Negro league or Women's league stuff, but I blew threw pretty quick and may have missed it.

Some dealers shoot themselves in the foot but just having way too much stuff shoved in piles and all over other stuff. Hard to see sometime what the heck people actually have. Most dealers are smart enough though to put their best stuff in the dead center of their display case.

One thing that seriously irked me yesterday on a few occasions is guys who show up with a bag of cards to try to sell and then proceed to dump all their stuff on top of one of the dealers cases and negotiate at length over why their cards are worth a lot. I realize this is some folks idea of fun, and more power to you, but why would a dealer let you take over one of his areas for 40 minutes to bicker over trades. Seems stupid from the dealer's perspective if people can't see what the hell you are selling.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-28-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:05 AM

I'll second what Steve said. I brought plenty of cash plus some nice cards to trade or sell if I saw stuff to buy. I brought it all home. I just visited with dealers and auction houses. I will wait for future auctions, it seems like that is where the hobby is headed.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This is a pretty dead-on synopsis of what the National has become and why it's difficult to find cards to buy -- unless you want to overpay just to buy something at a National. Nevertheless, I've always found some decent stuff but very rarely a card that I had never seen before and bought. This was the one exception:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Was there Thursday for a while. Leon, looked for you a few times where Scott and Mile High was. Sorry I missed you. Saw a number of board members and most of the famous/infamous sellers. Probstein, Levi, PWCC folks. Said hello to many of the dealers I've done business with. Ted Z., stopped by a few times and you were deep in conversation so didn't bug you.

My impression overall was that it looked exactly the same as Atlantic City last year. I'm sure the consensus of the majority of board members will be that it was far better than last year, particularly among people who didn't go east last year. To me there was no difference. Foot traffic was impressive but I'm sure Thursday is the slowest day. I heard from a number of dealers that Wed. night was crazy.

I great mix of old, new, memorabilia and of course cards. Same trends we talk about all the time. Photos have taken off in popularity and price. Older exhibits were few and far between. Just don't see many of the 4 on 1s anymore. Most everybody was friendly and accommodating, though most dealers are reconnecting with friends and buying themselves so a lot of rushing around.

I actually spent time monitoring a few ebay auctions.

Didn't spend a dollar which was a little odd. Found three great high ticket cards and considered them all. All overpriced. A 34 Gehrig Caramel PSA 6. A bunch of 21 Ruth Exhibits. And a Maple Crispette Ruth 5. All big ticket and came close to buying the Gehrig but the dealer (a nice guy) started dicking me around about taking a credit card and splitting fees and I bailed. No, I don't carry $7,000 in cash with me often. Nice guy and I guess I just wasn't in a high end buying mood.

The one dealer that blew my doors off was Card Country. The had a case of green Cobbs and a case of red Cobbs. Are you kidding me? They had 4 21 Ruth Exhibits and I considered their PSA 4. Card was beautiful.

Saw AL from LOTG and a lot of the cool stuff in his upcoming auction.

Saw the maven of Ruth photos himself Ben and met some of his friends.

Be nice if these convention centers had decent food. Had the worst slice of pizza I've ever eaten. Deep dish is bad enough. This would have worked as a door stop perhaps.

Probably won't be in a rush to get to next years. There really isn't a deal to be had, and if there is believe me it's been scarfed up before the doors open. It's an overwhelming experience and I didn't see a single really rare card that grabbed me. Coolest stuff there is being displayed by the auction houses for their upcoming auctions.

Over and out.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:42 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default national

love the updates and opinions guys..keep them coming !
Old 07-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Rick

Cash machines ran out of cash, so did I.

Some dealers don't accept credit cards, which is inconvenient, especially when there are only two machines available at the convention site....two that I saw and I asked the concierge desk.

I think it's worth the price of admission just to see the auction house displays. I tend to gravitate to the dealers that have a price on their cards, at least it's a starting point. The over crowded display cases are annoying, it's just too hard to go through things. Many of the less "corporate" dealers get my attention, they're easier to talk to and deal with although that's probably because of what I'm interested in and dollar level I'm playing.

Also, saw one patient mother with three young boys looking at cards, it made me smile. So much different than riding your bike to the corner store.

Last edited by RTK; 07-28-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:57 PM

Yup. Ebay and auction houses trump the Nationals. Airfare, hotel, admission and hassle of dealers/travel ... or just bid and get it sent to you. And honestly in the course of a year ... more is offered in the other venues at better prices.

Of course this is just the bitter point of view of a West Coaster who's annoyed that the Nationals won't set up out West anymore.

Here's a hint to the people who run Nationals ... if you just set up in the same three cities ... you're just going to have the same darn show year after year. If you rotate North South East and West, you attract different dealers (who have different stuff) and different buyers (in addition to the loyal ones). You expand the hobby with a rotation. You kill the hobby with a 3 city loop.

The Nationals is in the early stages of dying ... because it's being managed poorly.

Cheers,
Patrick Prickett (Leon will probably make me put my name on this anyways! ; -)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Rick

I think it may be slightly smaller than the last one in Chicago...not sure, but it had a curtain across the far end of the hall. It seemed the last time the entire room was used.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Ken McMillan

Relatively successful day today. Bumped off 1 card from my list in a trade. Got my Evers T205 AB back stabbed. Found some cool boxer cards with Boston Terriers on them. Made some contacts to consign my W572 cards to major auction houses. Life is good.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:35 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

(Copied from OBC report)
Doug DeJong arrived bright and early this AM from his drive in from NC and joined Spike, Taylor, and me as we enjoyed the free breakfast at our hotel. Off to the show!
As soon as I entered I went right to the line for the free autograph Rico Petrocelli and only had to wait fifteen minutes.
Then I hustled back to Net54 member Taxmechanick (Glenn) table. Yesterday I bought a slabbed 1887 Gold Coin N284 card of Bushong. Today I bought a slabbed 1888 Scrapps tobacco card of Bushong so excited to get these cards.
I spent most of the day shopping for bargains. My new dealer friend in the back of the room said any Donruss Odd Rod I wanted for $3, so I bought 2 hits to one of the later issues I needed, then 16 duplicates of the tough to find originals from 1969.
Time to get serious with my 1960 Leaf baseball. Way on the other side of the show floor, picked up 14 high numbers most were $7 some were a bit more.
Picked up some random non sports hits, then back to the autograph area and got Steve Trachsel free no line. Forgot about his wife swapping scandal until Spike just reminded me. That might have been an interesting personalization lol!
Bought seven hits 1966 Topps Superman cards the ones that only have the copyright line on the back.
I found a stack of Bond Bread baseball cards eleven different paid $20 I'm like 90% sure these are legit plus the dealer told me they were lol!
Back to my new dealer friend in the corner I picked up a 1985 Topps WWF set of 66 cards 22 stickers I looked on eBay and I think $40 was an ok price Weird I know.
Next got Gary Beaman free autograph he beat out OJ for the Heisman Trophy in 1967. We shut off the lights as we left the show.
We attended the Net 54 dinner thank you very much Leon! Enjoyed the food and I enjoyed one bottled water and a Diet Coke as I am the designated driver cause I don't drink lol!
The speakers were all really great Brian Drent from Mile High told some good stories on acquiring all that unopened wax.
Al Crisafulli educated me on what Lina Blackburn has done for baseball.
Finally thanks to the last speaker Brian who investigates fraud in the collectibles market he is an FBI Special Agent.
I still have cash and a PayPal balance I'm ready for Saturday!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-29-2017, 04:48 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I hope everyone has a grand ole' time at National. Perhaps I can attend someday and meet all the guys with whom I've been corresponding.

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-29-2017, 05:40 AM
Jon Canfield

Hoping for a little luck here... I had heard that a dealer has a Napoleon Little Cigars box at the national that's not for sale, and propped up behind the table (it's supposed to be near Levi's table). I've never come across one before and wanted to see it and possibly photograph it for my cigarette website, but after a day of searching yesterday, I couldn't find the sucker. Any chance someone saw it and knows where it is?!
Old 07-29-2017, 05:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Hoping for a little luck here... I had heard that a dealer has a Napoleon Little Cigars box at the national that's not for sale, and propped up behind the table (it's supposed to be near Levi's table). I've never come across one before and wanted to see it and possibly photograph it for my cigarette website, but after a day of searching yesterday, I couldn't find the sucker. Any chance someone saw it and knows where it is?!
I saw it Jon; I might be able to find it again today and if I can I will take a few pics for ya....He had some Napolean T207s too...
Old 07-29-2017, 05:58 AM
Jon Canfield

Thanks so much Leon. Feel free to drop me an email as well - I'll be around the show today and tomorrow as well.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:03 AM
Jason Wells

Im not sure if its the same dealer or not, but I saw one case with packs from late 1800's to the 1910's. I had to resist the temptation to purchase the Old Mill pack. I can see adding one of those in the future to accompany the set.

John I really like the website. Great work!

Last edited by Jason; 07-29-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Jon Canfield

Jason-

Thanks for the kind words. I believe that table is Mike Golsteyn's table. Unfortunately not the right one, but he had some great packs for sale! Besides the Old Mill, the Tolstoi is very rare. He also had a nice Creole slide.

- Jon
Old 07-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Jason Wells

Thanks for the info I do want a period one when the time comes.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:55 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlythefinest2327 View Post
Lots of great stuff for sure. Kind of cool to see a professional football player who's into collecting. Memory lane said they sold the psa 2 wagner. They also had the psa 4.5 cobb back and a PSA 8 Joe jackson rookie for sale.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I'll second what Steve said. I brought plenty of cash plus some nice cards to trade or sell if I saw stuff to buy. I brought it all home. I just visited with dealers and auction houses. I will wait for future auctions, it seems like that is where the hobby is headed.
Im sorry to say I did the same. I almost bought a card at the end just so I wouldn't leave empty handed. But it wasn't quite what I was looking for so I passed. I did see a few cards I would have tried to buy had they not been on display for an auction. Hopefully I will pick up one or two of them by bidding.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I spent the better part of the day there Wednesday. I understand you can generally buy more cards at "reasonable" prices through eBay and auctions, but I just love the National. It's the one day a year I feel like a kid again. I learned a couple years ago not to bring a want list because I could never check any boxes and often bought stuff I never knew I wanted. So I went with a little bit of cash and an open mind.

I also went with the intention of meeting more board members and had a great time meeting dudes like Corey (Addie Joss) and Chris (the-Illini). I found the collector dudes like these to have nice cards at reasonable prices. I was fortunate Chris was willing to part with a nice Goudey Ruth 181.

At the Mile High booth, there was a case with 4-5 cards in it including a PSA 7 E-90-1 Cy Young that I swore I had seen before. Beautiful as it was, it was a bit out of my price range, so I ended up buying the card next to it, a 33 Ruth 144 PSA 2.5 that, again, was vaguely familiar to me. Bought it from some dude named Leon. Really good guy.

I agree with an earlier sentiment that one of the best booths with cards for sale is Luckiest Man and Card Country. Brady and Jeff have great eyes for cards so there is some really good quality stuff there.

All in all, just looking at the eye candy and meeting some good dudes was worth the trip. Bringing some extra cardboard home was icing on the cake.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:04 PM
And.rew Whi.te

This may not be the place to ask and I might be a bit late but for the first time ever, I cannot make it to the Chicago National. UGH

My ask is that if anyone gets there early tomorrow and gets to the Baseball Card Exchange booth in the corporate area if yo could please pick me up two Don Mattingly 1984 Donruss rookies which they have them on sale while supplies last for five bucks. I know these are not pre war but I can use them for my sets. And if you get there early and happen to see that they have some Aparicio Perez Steele autos for 5 bucks (or was it ten..not sure) please pick one or two up for me. I Will paypal money right away.

Thank you!!
Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

It seemed like the show was crowded all day today. Mostly I shopped for bargain cards to re supply my doubles box, but I did purchase the final (of four) Babe Ruth card 1935 Goudey (master set) from Net 54 member Don Hotz at a good price. '62 Topps football bucks, more hits 33 and 34 Goudey baseball, also more non sports hits today as well.
I got one free autograph Ron Dayne but the autograph area was really too busy today to attempt more.
We all had a great time after the show at the OBC Swap session.
The plan is a 1/2 day at the show tomorrow and fly home with a 6pm departure!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone