NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Default The importance/value of an auction catalog

Today I received the catalog for Legendary's current auction, and it reinforced a thought I've had for some time regarding auction catalogs. I know that Huggins & Scott recently has made a push for bidders to not receive their catalogs and instead do everything online (offering a $50 credit for those who opt to go paperless). Many of the smaller auctions don't even offer hard-copy catalogs as an option.

Each time I receive a catalog, it arrives after I've already searched and browsed the auction online. And each time I find a good number of items within the pages that I end up bidding on that I would not have if the auction were Internet only. I'll usually do a number of searches (Lajoie, Butter Cream, R306, Indians, Cleveland, Boudreau, Colavito, Cobb, Ruth, Goudey, T206, etc.), so it's not like my scope is limited. But in this catalog alone I discovered an uncut sheet of Fro-Joys with mailing envelope and Ruth premium; a few Kalamazoo Bats; a complete set of graded Dan-Dees; and a great selection of 1951 Topps Major League All-Stars. All of these are things I wouldn't necessarily search for but likely will end up bidding on.

It's not like I'm uncomfortable using a computer or the Internet: I do it for a living and spend about 8-10 hours online each day (I do not live in my parents' basement). I simply think that there are many positives to having a catalog you can hold in your hands -- no matter the size of the auction. I wonder not only whether other bidders feel the same way, but has the thought crossed the minds of collectors who consign high-dollar items? Do you feel at a disadvantage placing your items in an auction that's online only? It certainly would give me pause.

Last edited by Rob D.; 05-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Rob, I agree, mainly because you can't look at the online catalog while on the can.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Get a laptop, Jeff.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Too much going on to use a laptop there.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-14-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Mark

x

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 05-14-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 PM

no doubt in my mind....
no printed catalog = fewer bids = lower final result for the auction as a whole.

the internet is great for finding stuff you know you want.

the printed book is great for finding out you want stuff you never knew you wanted.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm always leery about guys selling old auction catalogs.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoem View Post
the internet is great for finding stuff you know you want.

the printed book is great for finding out you want stuff you never knew you wanted.
Exactly!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM
David G

Default I like the print catalog

I agree with Rob. Although I live most of my life and work online, I absolutely always bid on things that I did not notice while browsing the catalog online. The advantage of the paper catalog is I actually look at each lot and due to a lack of impulse control bid on things I never would have otherwise
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default re: old catalogs

better not bring those catalogs into certain bookstores such as Brentanos, you may get flagged!

Last edited by painthistorian; 05-14-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Barry Sloate

I always find things in catalogs that I might miss online. Computers are great for bidding, but not so great for browsing.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I browse online just fine and don't really use the catalogs much anymore, but that's just me.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default maybe

If there is a large auction, say 1000 or more lots, give me a catalog. If the auction is 300-400 or less, online is just fine...but that is just me. I always opt out of catalogs if I can save a buck and have choice .
Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM

I rarely look through the catalogs and I am sure I miss things that I may bid on, but oh well. The REA most recent bids counter was killer for me though. I bid on at least a half-dozen items that I normally wouldn't have. One lot I won and another I was the underbidder.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 PM

Good points Rob !!!

The question of auction catalogs came up at one of the previous Net54 National dinner speeches by (I believe) Josh Evans of Lelands. He mentioned that most, if not all, of the high end bidders want to see all of the lots in a nice compact form. He said they take the major auction catalogs on business trips, planes rides, etc,.... He said they don't have time to browse the lots online, even if they are very proficient with technology.

I think auction catalogs are a fantastic resource. I just wish someone would create a master index of all lots/items of all of the catalogs, so we as collectors and researchers could locate a certain card or piece of memorabilia very quickly and easily.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Al

Auction catalogs are very, very important.

-Al
Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I'm like some others on this thread. I do focused searches on-line, then I like to relax with a drink and leaf through and dog-ear the pages with items that I might bid on. Not necessary for an auction of only a few hundred lots.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:58 AM
T0NY @

I'm not sure if it's a sign of ignorance or what, but I seem to find more items I'm interested in when browsing through a catalog. Scrolling through a maze of thumbnails doesn't compare to gazing at a nice picture. And yes, I'm on the can when finding most of these items. It's where I do my best thinking.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Rich Klein

Default The other great thing about a catalog

Is that, if you keep them, and something interesting comes up on the board; you can research and reference if and when you'd seen the item before in a catalog. On line, it's quite different research and harder to remember.

Rich
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Auction catalogs are very, very important.

-Al
Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Chris

I get a few catalogs, the last being the REA. How much you think that costs (Printing and S&H)?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

And they help you poop!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 AM
T0NY @

Come to think of it, they do aid as a light to mid laxative. http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1754.gif
Thought I was the only one. Good to know I'm not alone.