NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Default Who got this smokin’ deal on this Goudey Foxx??!

Geez Louise, probstein half-awake this morning??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/362404164...2047675.l10137

Last edited by Leon; 08-02-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Thats my card and it was missing a 1 in front of it..
Old 08-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Thats my card and it was missing a 1 in front of it..
Tough break Sean.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Tough break Sean.
What is the tough break? I would bet the sale got canceled and it will get relisted correctly, at least that is what Sean has done before. Can't really expect someone to take a hit like that because of a pricing error.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
What is the tough break? I would bet the sale got canceled and it will get relisted correctly, at least that is what Sean has done before. Can't really expect someone to take a hit like that because of a pricing error.
Well, is that what happened or did Probstein already ship the card?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Aaaaaaa yeah you can. If I walk into a store and it says milk is a dollar a gallon you better give the gallon of milk for a dollar. It’s bad business any other way. People make errors every day in life that cost them, do they get a redo?
It’s not like the card listed it self. Anyone who has listed a card on eBay knows
That you have to create the listing and then it ask you to proof it. Then you get to Look at the listing and push LIST IT.

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 08-02-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Rick and staff work very hard to list items and quickly, it is very understandable that, in haste, someone missed a digit. I have grace with them and I urge you to do the same.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Aaaaaaa yeah you can. If I walk into a store and it says milk is a dollar a gallon you better give the gallon of milk for a dollar. It’s bad business any other way. People make errors every day in life that cost them, do they get a redo?
It’s not like the card listed it self. Anyone who has listed a card on eBay knows
That you have to create the listing and then it ask you to proof it. Then you get to Look at the listing and push LIST IT.
It's unfortunate that this is the attitude of many people in the world today.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
It’s unfortunat that you think integerty and trust is a bad attitude. Look if they want to negotiate a deal where they don’t loose as much money on the deal that between them. But any company worth there salt will HONOR the mistakes they make.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
+1, IMO its one thing to give away $2 for a mistake, such as the case with incorrectly pricing milk, it is an entirely different thing to give away $1k. That amount could seriously effect many small businesses and I wouldn't blame any small business, like an ebay seller, from refusing to honor a mistake like that.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Yeah, while I would like a great deal if someone said they made a mistake I probably wouldn't freak out. It does depend on how it's handled. One of the very few negs I have given on ebay was a seller not selling at an offer made and they waited 4'ish days to cancel the transaction. They also made up a story about the cards being fake so that is why they canceled it. I called BS and gave them what they deserved. Had they been truthful I probably would have just not left feedback at all....

Last edited by Leon; 08-02-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:15 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Another probstein pricing error

there have been other pricing errors lately with probstein. New hire?

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 08-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

There is a giant difference in canceling a BIN pricing error and canceling an auction that did not get the results you were hoping for. I don't think we should apply the same logic in sellers honor.

I think any seller would be well within their right to cancel a sale like this and it would be petty to give revenge feedback for an honest error. I would have certainly bought it but not been surprised at a refund. That price is crazy.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
+1, IMO its one thing to give away $2 for a mistake, such as the case with incorrectly pricing milk, it is an entirely different thing to give away $1k. That amount could seriously effect many small businesses and I wouldn't blame any small business, like an ebay seller, from refusing to honor a mistake like that.
-1 IMO https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ss/20582211/if you call a 15 million dollar business small then good for you. This is a old article so I’m sure it’s doing better then that.

So if people came into the store all day buying milk at that discounted price that’s not a problem? 1000 people came in to the store and wanted it at that price or a rain check for it?

I’m not saying they should feel good about the mistake they made. There is no law holding them to it. This is when integrity comes in to play. If you don’t value your customer then why should they or anybody else do business with you? If you can’t trust that you bought and paid something and will receive it then why buy anything from them?

If you want to avoid this way of thinking then you have to man up and honor you mistake.

The question is not can he not honor the transaction. Of course he doesn’t HAVE to. But what should he do as a multimillion dollar business owner that made a mistake in a hobby that’s foundation is trust and integrity.

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 08-02-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Trust and Integrity are earned, never a given.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Here in Mass at least, it's not just good business to honor a marked price, it's the law.

It's at least partly to stop bait and switch schemes. Home depot had a stack of shelves in boxes with a pretty nice one on top that had the price sign hung on it by a string tied through the uprights.
When I was putting my two boxes in the car, I noticed that what was actually in them was the cheap shelves that I wouldn't buy at any price. Complained, eventually got a manager after asking if they knew what bait and switch was and that it was illegal. Showed him the shelf holding up the sign and what was actually in the boxes. He balked until I told him he was lucky I just wanted the two I'd bought at that price and not as many as I could load into the van. I got my two shelves, and he had the sign removed immediately.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:

If you don’t value your customer then why should they or anybody else do business with you?
Who's the customer here - the buyer or the consignee? If the transaction goes through, one guys screwed out of $1k (doesn't get something he deserves) and another gets an item at a fraction of market value (gets something he doesn't deserve). What's right about this?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Huh? Honoring the sale is unfortunate? IMO the prevailing attitude seems to be making excuses and irresponsibility. Seems there's an entire sector of our population that doesn't believe in consequences for one's actions.

There's insurance for this; called Errors and Omissions. If Probstein doesn't have it, then he's s*** out of luck. The buyer should demand the card at that price.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Who's the customer here - the buyer or the consignee? If the transaction goes through, one guys screwed out of $1k (doesn't get something he deserves) and another gets an item at a fraction of market value (gets something he doesn't deserve). What's right about this?
Your right but the consigner didn’t do anything wrong. This was a error of the seller. Cosigner didn’t say sell this card for whatever you can get for it. He said there should have been a 1 infront of thy price. The only person who should be screwed is the seller. Maybe this is the problem in the world. You body should pay for your mistakes but you.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Marc

So, to the people who are stating that you should always honor the listed price, even if it's clearly an error...say you are going to list your house for sale for $250,000 and you accidentally type a period instead of a comma in that number which causes your ad to list it instead for $250.00, you're saying that you are going to have the honor and integrity to just eat that mistake and go ahead and sell it for 250 bucks?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
There is a giant difference in canceling a BIN pricing error and canceling an auction that did not get the results you were hoping for. I don't think we should apply the same logic in sellers honor.

I think any seller would be well within their right to cancel a sale like this and it would be petty to give revenge feedback for an honest error. I would have certainly bought it but not been surprised at a refund. That price is crazy.
You’re making too much sense.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
Huh? Honoring the sale is unfortunate? IMO the prevailing attitude seems to be making excuses and irresponsibility. Seems there's an entire sector of our population that doesn't believe in consequences for one's actions.

There's insurance for this; called Errors and Omissions. If Probstein doesn't have it, then he's s*** out of luck. The buyer should demand the card at that price.
To me it is a question of integrity and honor. When an obvious pricing error is made, you don't try to take advantage of the person or business. My father taught me that when he was buying a pool table. When the clerk rang it up, the total came up much less than it was actually supposed to be. He pointed out the error and paid the correct amount. I believe that when you treat others right, they will do the same to you. I certainly would understand in this situation and wouldn't try to get a 1250 card for 250.

I disagree with the above. Probstein is big enough seller that EBay won't do anything. EBay wouldn't do anything for me when I won an auction cheap and the seller refused to send the item. As has been pointed out, that is a completely different situation, but EBay can't force them to ship the card.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Both the consignor and the buyer are the customer in this case. If auctioneer made an error on the listing they should step up and add the "1" to the consignee's check and ship the card. Both customers are made whole.

This idea that the consignee should lose out on an error is ludicrous. This idea that auctioneer gets to walk is also ludicrous. The buyer should actually makes out but that's his/her lucky day...

By the way in most states a misquoted price on a shelf or in a sale flyer is held accountable in most retail environments until retracted by the retailer once discovered...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post

I agree.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post

By the way in most states a misquoted price on a shelf or in a sale flyer is held accountable in most retail environments until retracted by the retailer once discovered...
I don't believe this is true. What states is that the case? It definitely isn't the case in Illinois.

Let me ask you and others on here, if this was on BST, would you ask the seller if it was a mistake or would you try to by the card? Maybe it is just me, but I couldn't buy an item for 20%.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I don't believe this is true. What states is that the case? It definitely isn't the case in Illinois.

Let me ask you and others on here, if this was on BST, would you ask the seller if it was a mistake or would you try to by the card? Maybe it is just me, but I couldn't buy an item for 20%.
In NY, NJ and CT.. There are tough consumer protection laws on retail... I remember Home Depot, Lowes, Dick's Sporting Goods and Stop N Shop getting pinched on pricing errors... And they made good via honoring the errors and or giving rainchecks if they ran out of the item(s)

As for the BST I would PM the seller if that was correct price... Can't say though that I have ever seen that on the BST though!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
In NY, NJ and CT.. There are tough consumer protection laws on retail... I remember Home Depot, Lowes, Dick's Sporting Goods and Stop N Shop getting pinched on pricing errors... And they made good via honoring the errors and or giving rainchecks if they ran out of the item(s)

As for the BST I would PM the seller if that was correct price... Can't say though that I have ever seen that on the BST though!
We should run an experiment and try it....see how many PMs the seller gets on his obviously mis-priced card.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
You are absolutely 100% incorrect here. While a store might honor the price in your example because it’s so small, they do not have to honor an incorrect price that was published by mistake and it happens all the time, usually when the decimal was misplaced.

This is not the same as bait-and-switch in which it’s deliberate.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:06 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:

I live in CT and the retail laws are very tough. I know that if something rings in at a higher price at Stop N Shop they give it to you for free (maybe up to 5 of the same item).

In terms of the pricing error I agree that integrity goes both ways. If its obvious (like in this case) that there was a pricing error, maybe the auction can be cancelled and the seller (not the consigner) can give the buyer a $100 credit towards another auction. This way the buyer gets something, the consigner gets what he paid for (reselling the card for $1250), and the seller really only misses out on the commission on that particular card.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
We should run an experiment and try it....see how many PMs the seller gets on his obviously mis-priced card.
About 10 years ago when I first started selling on the BST, and more naive about T206s than I am now, I listed a common that had a more desirable back than I realized. I received a couple of helpful PMs rather quickly (i.e., correcting me, not asking if it was the "real price").
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
About 10 years ago when I first started selling on the BST, and more naive about T206s than I am now, I listed a common that had a more desirable back than I realized. I received a couple of helpful PMs rather quickly (i.e., correcting me, not asking if it was the "real price").
Old 08-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
You are absolutely 100% incorrect here. While a store might honor the price in your example because it’s so small, they do not have to honor an incorrect price that was published by mistake and it happens all the time, usually when the decimal was misplaced.

This is not the same as bait-and-switch in which it’s deliberate.
If it was published in a circular and you went to the store for that reason. Then that is false advertisement. This is not allowed and must be honored or dealt with by the law in many states. Maybe we are not talking about decimals.

If you get a misquote from a roofing company that’s in your favor of a thousand dollars and you agree. How if that your fault? And the company will honor this mistake. But enough with the apples and oranges.

The issue here is what it is. The buyer didn’t know it was a mistake. For all they knew it was a great price. The card was listed after being proofed by a professional multi million dollar company.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:

The issue here is what it is. The buyer didn’t know it was a mistake. For all they knew it was a great price. The card was listed after being proofed by a professional multi million dollar company.
Most likely the buyer did know it was a mistake. Few people buy something for 250.00 not knowing if it was worth 25 or 1250. The value of the card is easily researchable online. There is no law that will make Probstein honor the sale. It would be one thing pricing a cheap card at 20%, but not on a 1250.00 card. No one should expect to get the card mailed to them in a case like this.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:

About three or four years ago, there was a Titus T206 priced significantly under its value. It wasn't a $1,250 card, but IIRC the card was a couple hundred off what T206 Titus' were selling for at the time.

There was a huge thread on here about the ethics of buying the card. Many of the posters on here took the stance of "too bad for the seller."
Old 08-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Most likely the buyer did know it was a mistake. Few people buy something for 250.00 not knowing if it was worth 25 or 1250. The value of the card is easily researchable online. There is no law that will make Probstein honor the sale. It would be one thing pricing a cheap card at 20%, but not on a 1250.00 card. No one should expect to get the card mailed to them in a case like this.
+1

Agreed.

There is no way I let an item of this value walk out of my store at that price. And I have no problem telling a customer that. As a retailer, we do the best we can with prices and mistakes are made.

Reasonable errors can be resolved, however ANY customer expecting a 1250 item for 250 is being unreasonable.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:56 AM

I seem to remember something about an eBay sale being a contract....

It's interesting to see people side with the seller here. If a buyer told you they bid the wrong amount by mistake I think people would be singing a different tune as to the validity of that excuse.

Last edited by packs; 08-03-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Mark
M@rk C@lvi

Quote:
I agree with this statement 100%.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
About three or four years ago, there was a Titus T206 priced significantly under its value. It wasn't a $1,250 card, but IIRC the card was a couple hundred off what T206 Titus' were selling for at the time.

There was a huge thread on here about the ethics of buying the card. Many of the posters on here took the stance of "too bad for the seller."
Here’s the thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=Titus
Old 08-03-2018, 01:10 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Being an engineer, I look at numbers with a discerning eye all the time. Statistics, prices, totals, etc. On a regular basis I see items priced as .99c (.99 cents). It bugs me, but I've never tried to buy the item for less than a penny and wouldn't expect a store to sell me the item for that price. Or buy a hundred for $0.99

Anyone else notice this or try to make the purchase?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 08-03-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:13 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Being an engineer, I look at numbers with a discerning eye all the time. Statistics, prices, totals, etc. On a regular basis I see items priced as .99c
Here’s a nickel. I’ll take 5. Keep the change.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe3Ruth3 View Post
I agree with this statement 100%.
^^^^^^^

agree!!!!!
Old 08-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Robert N*w-ell

Mistakes happen. And if this kind of thing happened to me as a buyer with an established seller like this, I wouldn't expect to receive the card nor would I file a negative against him or her.

I couldn't have a card like that in my collection, if it had been won at the expense of others, in such a negative manner.

Honesty is the best policy.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:08 PM

If a bidder told you they put in the wrong amount by mistake would you ban them from future bidding, insist they pay for the item they won, or say that's ok and relist?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If a bidder told you they put in the wrong amount by mistake would you ban them from future bidding, insist they pay for the item they won, or say that's ok and relist?
Once again not the issue that we are dealing with. You don’t list a card by simple pushing a few numbers real quick. Check the eBay community Boards. Many people have this issue. They are not big time like probstein. And yet most shipped and took the lose. Beware of all the people here saying that integrity and honesty is not the answer. At least we see your true colors.

Don’t be confused by have to’s and should. It’s even against ebays rules to cancel the purchase. He’ll get a defect for it. People are literally standing by and saying yeah break that rule then with the same breath. Saying what’s wrong with the world today? Hahah I wonder ?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 PM

I only ask because I've seen past conversations about bidders who hit the wrong number and the consensus is usually that people believe the person is either lying or they should pay what they bid.

My personal opinion is the card should be sold to the winner and if the consignor had an agreement with the consignment company for a sale price of $1,250, then it's the consignment company's responsibility to pay the difference to the consignor for the mistake. A sale is a sale and the price should be honored.

Last edited by packs; 08-03-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:37 PM

It is funny because I had a guy buy an item from me a few days ago, then sent a message saying he bought the item by mistake and wanted to cancel the purchase. I just cancelled the purchase and relisted the item. Mistakes happen, people should be understanding.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM
je.sse @rnot

Most states that I'm aware of allow for price mistakes to be corrected by publishing a retraction. Quite often these are the result of an error by an advertising company and not the business some of you here would like to take advantage of. Trying to stick it to a seller for an obvious mistake is a terrible way to do business in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 PM

That's assuming a lot out of the buyer though. Maybe the buyer is just a person who wanted the card and found it at a price they could afford. Not everyone is out to flip, and I don't think honoring a sale is taking advantage of a seller. The consignment company should make the consignor whole while making the buyer whole as well. That's a good way to do business.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Most states that I'm aware of allow for price mistakes to be corrected by publishing a retraction. Quite often these are the result of an error by an advertising company and not the business some of you here would like to take advantage of. Trying to stick it to a seller for an obvious mistake is a terrible way to do business in my opinion.
Then why does EBay punish the seller for this infraction? Is eBay wrong to?
Breaking a direct rule in the business you have is a terrible way to do business.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That's assuming a lot out of the buyer though. Maybe the buyer is just a person who wanted the card and found it at a price they could afford. Not everyone is out to flip, and I don't think honoring a sale is taking advantage of a seller. The consignment company should make the consignor whole while making the buyer whole as well. That's a good way to do business.
Agree with this .