NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Taking a break

Seems like every time I post. now someone weights in with a crappy comment about my “track record” on the board (whatever that means) or some other personal type comment. Whatever.
For the record I’ve done at least 50 BST transactions without the slightest issue, including some at six figures. Have mailed stuff free of charge to a few board members, have met Leon and others, and think I’ve always been respectful of others views. But I’ve expressed my opinions and I guess that has pissed some people off. Last week someone went out of their way to gratuitously slam me on the night my dad unexpectedly died. Oh well, can’t please everyone.
Time for a vacation. Enjoy the summer.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-21-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Steve, sorry to hear your Dad passed away (and recently too). May he RIP. I have always thought you are a good member with strong opinions. But at least you have reasoning behind them. A lot of people have opinions based on others opinions, you don't do that. You have your own and voice them. I hope you don't leave but if you do I hope you come back soon...
Tons of folks take breaks. Many times I think I need one.

Last edited by Leon; 06-21-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Steve,
I don't know you, but enjoy your posts and input.
I am sorry to hear about your dad.
My condolences to you and your family.

As for the haters on this board, who gives a crap what they say.

Keep doing your thing!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:17 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Steve,

From a nobody here, I've always thought your posts were well thought and informative. Very sorry to hear about your father. Like Leon said, may he RIP. I hope you reconsider and stay on the boards as you're not one of the problem children here.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Steve,

From a nobody here, I've always thought your posts were well thought and informative. Very sorry to hear about your father. Like Leon said, may he RIP. I hope you reconsider and stay on the boards as you're not one of the problem children here.

AndyH
+1
Old 06-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Steve

Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Steve,

AndyH
+2

Don’t let the few pooper-scoopers get under your skin...

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Rob

My condolences...I know how hard it is to lose someone you love, especially unexpectedly. Hope you can find solace in the memories of the time you had to together.

Regarding the jerks...Let it roll off your back like water on a duck. There are some here that are too set in their opinions and ways, no matter how obsolete they are, to ever see another's. I just laugh at the crotchety-ness.

I always appreciate your posts because you don't toe the company line like so many here who fear ridicule.

Last edited by Fballguy; 06-22-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:13 AM
Paul Herbener

Steve, sorry for your loss. We've done BST transactions and they've been perfect. For what it's worth, I've always thought your posts were well thought out and informative. While I don't agree with all of them, I appreciate your contributions to this board.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sorry to hear about you dad, lost mine unexpectedly too a few years back. I echo the sentiment of not letting a few bad apples spoil the bunch. Some will always have bullying on their agenda, but this is a place where we all share a similar esoteric hobby, and we should a little more forgiving if someone doesn't share our opinion.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 AM

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness." John Keats

May your heart find peace and may its love never pass into nothingness.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Condolences and prayers your way

I suspect the grief and stress of losing your father makes the words of one or more misguided stand out more. This forum is about sharing opinions and information about the hobby we love - and you do just that. I too have enjoyed reading your posts (don't recall if my opinion aligned or not - likely both). A friend taught me a long time ago - "opinions are like assholes - everyone has one" - I encourage you not to let the words of a few dissuade you from continuing to make a meaningful contribution here.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
... the night my dad unexpectedly died...
Sorry to hear about your dad
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Sorry for your loss, have not had the pleasure of meeting you or doing a deal (yet) but don't worry about the negative nellies... your posts are just fine...be well!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:31 AM

Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about your father-may he rest in peace. Although we've never met, we did just complete a deal on the B/S/T without a hitch. Enjoy your vacation, but come back soon. And hang in there.

Joe
Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Barry Sloate

Condolences on your dad Steve, and I was hoping to get to meet you at the Net54 dinner. Yes, you have strong opinions that are probably quite different than mine, but if you had joined us last week I bet we would have gotten along just fine.

Take a break. Dealing with the loss of your father is more important than fighting with people on a chatboard. And please come back when you are ready.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You and I are almost polar opposites politically. That said I am not sure there is anyone on the board I like speaking with or spending time with than you, Barry. We all want the same things, it just getting there that differs. And I agree, Steve (hi Steve) needs to take some time for himself, and his family, with respect to his Dad's passing. Hopefully it is only a short time before he comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Condolences on your dad Steve, and I was hoping to get to meet you at the Net54 dinner. Yes, you have strong opinions that are probably quite different than mine, but if you had joined us last week I bet we would have gotten along just fine.

Take a break. Dealing with the loss of your father is more important than fighting with people on a chatboard. And please come back when you are ready.

Last edited by Leon; 06-22-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Leon, and the feeling is mutual. Sure, I'm not happy about what's going on today, but I try to be reasonable too. What I've come to realize is it's not about me. It's about what the majority wanted. So I have to learn to accept it, despite struggling every day. What makes me happy is getting along with those who have different opinions than mine. Shouting at people is a waste of time.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Bill

Your family is in my prayers Steve!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Brad Pencil

I have never had an issue with you ever, I've always thought you were one of the good guys. I've learned over the years people will have issues/opinions with others no matter what you do wether perceived or real. I personally either choose to ignore them or in the case slander defend yourself or your point with facts.

Either way it does not matter in the long run, its a board full of opinions and that will never change. The most important part is taking care of what matters most, you and your family.

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing. I have yet to go through that but can only imagine how tough that is.

Good luck with everything and look forward to having you back when you are ready.

-Brad
Old 06-22-2018, 10:08 AM

My condolences Steve. Sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Chuck Price

Sorry to hear about your loss, take care.

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"
Green Cobb’s, “7 and counting “
Red Cobb’s, “12 and counting”
Working on my Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, Gehrig, Wagner, Mantle collection
Old 06-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Val Kehl

Steve, condolences re the passing of your dad. I hope your vacation from Net54 is a VERY SHORT one. I enjoy reading your posts, even in those instances when I don't agree with you.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:14 AM
octavio ranzola

God bless steve
Old 06-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Glyn Parson

Default May your Father Rest In Peace

My sincerest condolences on the passing of your father.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Steve,

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. My your father Rest In Peace.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Steve, sorry to hear about this and condolences about your loss. I hope you at back on the board soon. Always nice to chat with a fellow Gehrig collector.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Steve- I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Hang in there. We have done business before and I was completely satisfied. Thank You for that.

Hope to see you back soon,
Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloondilana View Post
Steve,

Keep doing your thing!!!
This is exactly how I feel.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Last edited by orly57; 06-22-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

The irony is that it looks like Steve isn't even reading this.

Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Send Message User Lists Last Activity: Yesterday 10:06 PM

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloondilana View Post
Steve,

Keep doing your thing!!!
I agree with Orly (another member whose posts I enjoy). Could not have put this better. I've always enjoyed reading your posts, and your passion for Lou Gehrig.

Sincere condolences, especially as it was unexpected and sdden. Tough to say good-bye.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Have mailed stuff free of charge to a few board members. Enjoy the summer.
Hi Steve,

Hopefully you’ll be back very soon. Please don’t let individuals discourage you from stating or expressing your opinions.

I don’t really view the pre-war side much, since I don’t collect pre-war cards, but once in a while I check it out. I saw your post and I wanted to comment that in my view your one of the “good guys” on Net54. You mentioned that you have mailed free stuff to members and I want all to know that I’m one of those members. Not only have you sent a nice piece of memorabilia once, but twice and didn’t want me to send a penny even with you spending money to ship. I want you to know it was very much appreciated.

I’m so sorry for your loss. My dad passed away a little over two years ago and it took me quite a while to get back to some normalcy. I still miss him. If I can be of any help to you or your family please let me know.

Thanks for your input and contribution to the forum.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Jim Mac

Default Sad news

Hi Steve, so sorry for your lose of your dad. May he rest in peace. As for the other matter of you taking a break from this site I wish you well with that. I don't collect the older more expensive stuff but I do enjoy tremendously the knowledge of the members here that share their understanding of all the going-ons in the hobby. You are one of my favorite members here because of your honesty on all things about our hobby. You don't know me but I know you and like what I get from your impute (posts). Peace to you and your family at this difficult time. Jim M.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Pete Costanzo

Steve so sorry to hear about the loss of your pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Joshua

Sorry for your loss Steve.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:58 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

sorry for your loss and how you are treated on net54 (or elsewhere if occurred somewhere else)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-23-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:12 AM
pete ullman

I too am sorry to hear about your loss, Steve. When my dad passed away almost 2 years ago...this board was an area of respite for me...similarly now as I'm caring for my ailing mom...while I'm not participating a ton...just reading the threads takes my mind off less pleasant things.

I'm sure you'll be back.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:20 AM
Bill Gregory

Steve, I'm so very sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I am incredibly close to both my parents, and I am thankful for each day that I have them. I can't begin to imagine what you're feeling.

If you feel you need a break, take one. But please come back when you feel up to it. You are among friends here.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:26 AM
Adam B

Steve, nothing I could post could make up for the loss of your father, however, I do enjoy reading your posts and feel you give this board (and the hobby itself) some color. Take some time to mourn your loss, but in doing so do not forget to celebrate your father’s life as well.

Godspeed,

Adam