NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default I’m done

PSA has yanked me around for the last time. Over a month and a half on a ten day submission with just finding out today it will be late next week till it’s done.

All they can offer me is an “I’m sorry” when asked if they can give some sort of credit or discount on the order. All times are “estimated”. Lol

From now on SGC will get all my submissions.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Richard L.

Piss poor customer service on their part! Can't say I blame you. This happened to me a couple years back but they did credit me. Take away the registry aspect, and they're a skeleton of a company!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I sent in an autographed postcard a few years ago; asked for the rush service and it came back weeks later. Not even an apology or voucher, credit, etc. I won't send them anything anymore unless it's an issue that SGC won't grade.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Go to the National and look at their line and then look at SGC's line. Then come back and tell everyone that they are a "skeleton" of a company. For the record I am an SGC guy.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Richard L.

I repeat, if you take away the registry, they would be a skeleton of a company period! The registry is the driving force of their success and has been for a long time.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

Did you write the service level on the outside of your package? I've found not doing this can causes delays.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Did you write the service level on the outside of your package? I've found not doing this can causes delays.
I always do and did this time as well. And I get that they are busy and backed up. But at the end of the day that’s not my problem. You offer a service and when you can’t deliver it’s bad for business. I realize they won’t miss a beat without my submissions but with the way they’re going about all this will prompt more and more people to consider SGC that aren’t in it totally just for manipulated resale value Psa holders get.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
I repeat, if you take away the registry, they would be a skeleton of a company period! The registry is the driving force of their success and has been for a long time.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but it’s kind of flawed logic. It’s like saying: take away Nike’s brand cachet and they’d be a smaller company. Yes, because eliminating a company’s marketing generally has negative consequences.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Kyle May

I've heard nothing but negative comments about PSA in 2018.

I can't believe SGC hasn't made a bigger push to put together a registry.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 02-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Tom Boblitt

Well....they cut their dividend in half and their stock was down from about $26 to $17 today.....problems in their coin grading business. They stated PSA and DNA are doing really well though. For them, that is. Not fur us as the spending public.

Last edited by autograf; 02-08-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I've heard nothing but negative comments about PSA in 2018.

I can't believe SGC hasn't made a bigger push to put together a registry.

Did they ever get their message boards up? Between the failing of vintage cards and the turn time, I've been sending more to SGC as well

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 PM

I submitted a card right before Christmas and it was graded within the 10 business days. Not sure what's happening lately.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
I submitted a card right before Christmas and it was graded within the 10 business days. Not sure what's happening lately.
It's really getting bad over there. Everything is taking forever. Long time to log in the cards. Long time to get items graded. People are paying for rush service and instead, having items take months to get graded with no compensation whatsoever. Not a good way to run a business.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I couldn’t care less about the registry for my own cards but it’s definitely useful information. I love SGC though... always come back way before the states turnaround time and I think their slabs look awesome.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default What's the rush?

If your card is 100 years old and you plan to keep it forever... what's the rush? I'm not a "card submitter" so just asking
Old 02-08-2018, 08:24 PM

I know one of the issues they've had here in 2018 is they moved to a new/bigger location in California. Even so, that really shouldn't have produced the kind of delays that are being experienced by pretty much everyone, regardless of the service level they'd paid for.

I'm paying well below published rates so my ability to bitch is somewhat limited, but taking 2-3 weeks to enter stuff into their system and then not meeting their service level deadlines kinda ruffles me a bit.

It's pretty hard to give an estimate to my customers for PSA orders because of this so I guess the good thing is that most of them don't really care when they get their stuff back as they aren't needing to flip/sell immediately.

IMHO, they are basically where Beckett was this time last year - drowning in orders without enough man-power to handle it. They also followed the same path BGS did by thinking increasing prices would slow people down. It didn't then and it won't now. They are going to have to do something here pretty quick or even the most loyal submitters are going to start re-thinking their grading strategies.

I'm in a unique position being like 10 minutes from BGS so submitting with them is a breeze for me as I can just run by and drop it off in-person and the clock starts immediately. They are cranking out everything I hand them without issue so just keep that in-mind.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!

Last edited by ngnichols; 02-08-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
I always do and did this time as well. And I get that they are busy and backed up. But at the end of the day that’s not my problem. You offer a service and when you can’t deliver it’s bad for business. I realize they won’t miss a beat without my submissions but with the way they’re going about all this will prompt more and more people to consider SGC that aren’t in it totally just for manipulated resale value Psa holders get.
Yea I haven't mailed anything in a while. They're so close to my house I just drop stuff off in person now. Before when there was a delay getting an order in the system I would just call and they would help me out. That may no longer be the case if they're that backed up.

I wouldn't call the premium PSA cards sell for manipulated. The market seems to have decided they're worth more. Whether it's the registry, marketing, or a perception that they have tougher standards is certainly up for debate. I believe it's probably a combination of those, and maybe other factors, but it doesn't really matter at this point. They sell for the most so people will keep using them.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Yea I haven't mailed anything in a while. They're so close to my house I just drop stuff off in person now. Before when there was a delay getting an order in the system I would just call and they would help me out. That may no longer be the case if they're that backed up.

I wouldn't call the premium PSA cards sell for manipulated. The market seems to have decided they're worth more. Whether it's the registry, marketing, or a perception that they have tougher standards is certainly up for debate. I believe it's probably a combination of those, and maybe other factors, but it doesn't really matter at this point. They sell for the most so people will keep using them.
It’s gotta be due to the registry cause their grading standards are so outta whack. Consistently inconsistent.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It’s gotta be due to the registry cause their grading standards are so outta whack. Consistently inconsistent.
I agree with this. Collectors feel PSA is a more valuable brand, right or wrong. That said, I still like SGC for vintage....and that is where my whole collection went to when it was sold a few years ago. If I collect another 20 yrs and sell again it will probably still go back to SGC. I feel they are better vintage graders (I don't know about newer stuff).....I have sent one submission to PSA and most likely that was my last one.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
If you believe them to be inconsistent, why did you send to them in the first place? Isn’t this thread about your delayed submission?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
If you believe them to be inconsistent, why did you send to them in the first place? Isn’t this thread about your delayed submission?
Just playing the game so many others do. Rolling the dice. But them days are over now after this incident.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Jason Wells

Im happy to say my last two SGC submissions have been flawless and pretty much spot on to my grading estimates. This last one was 45 business days and was graded and shipped on day 27. I never tried a PSA submission though I do like there new holders alot.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Really? Sometimes you just need to confirm for yourself what everyone else is saying.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:47 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

What year is this? 2018? 2016? 2012? Nothing in this thread is new. I've been reading about these problems with Psa for years.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:57 AM
pete ullman

Ive only submitted to psa at the national...same day service...was satisfied each time...and always cards for resale. Most cards i buy are already graded. For my collection sgc is preferred.

The fact psa is “stealing” peoples money by not delivering advertised service is bs.

I cant think of any orher aspect of life where this would be tolerated??
Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Ive only submitted to psa at the national...same day service...was satisfied each time...and always cards for resale. Most cards i buy are already graded. For my collection sgc is preferred.

The fact psa is “stealing” peoples money by not delivering advertised service is bs.

I cant think of any orher aspect of life where this would be tolerated??
If they say clearly that cannot guarantee shipping times and can only do their best essentially, they can take 12 months to return the card to you. NOt providing any guarantee of anything.
Having said that, my last submission to them will be my last for a loooooong time.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:05 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

They don't charge your credit card until their work is completed. I wish other vendors did the same. Just playing devils advocate. I was hoping for GRADES before this weekend and I don't even have them LOGGED!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
If they say clearly that cannot guarantee shipping times and can only do their best essentially, they can take 12 months to return the card to you. NOt providing any guarantee of anything.
Having said that, my last submission to them will be my last for a loooooong time.
You can't rightly charge people for expedited service, complete the service at a lower speed level and then claim "we don't guarantee anything" -- and not even refund the difference in price. Basically you're paying extra money with the hope that the cards get returned quicker. But you have zero guarantee. And they know this and still take the higher fees.

If any company was deserving of a class action suit, PSA is it.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 AM
pete ullman

You guys can justify their tactics anyway you want! As has been stated if they cannot guarantee what they are offering for a given price than they should not offer these services. If you send a card in for three day turnaround it takes them a month they should refund you the difference.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 AM
pete ullman

I realize they no longer offer the service but I remember when dominos pizza, I think, guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less. I’m guessing you would not be satisfied if that pizza came one month later?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:20 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I realize they no longer offer the service but I remember when dominos pizza, I think, guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less. I’m guessing you would not be satisfied if that pizza came one month later?
Even when it came in 30 min or less, it tasted like it was a month old!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Even when it came in 30 min or less, it tasted like it was a month old!
haha...that was the old recipe!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You can't rightly charge people for expedited service, complete the service at a lower speed level and then claim "we don't guarantee anything" -- and not even refund the difference in price. Basically you're paying extra money with the hope that the cards get returned quicker. But you have zero guarantee. And they know this and still take the higher fees.

If any company was deserving of a class action suit, PSA is it.
Let do it...I agree.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I haven't researched the law yet but it seems to me that if you continue to offer the public a service you know you cannot possibly fulfill, you are committing some kind of consumer fraud even if the fine print in your contract says you don't guarantee timing. I'd report the mess to the California Attorney General's office and see if they can investigate it.

The collapse of PSA's scheduling doesn't impact their on-site activity. They will be doing express grading at the Long Beach show on site in two weeks. I guess rustling up new $50+ fees is more important than clearing the backlog of existing customer orders.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Steven

So we all know Adam and Jeff are intelligent lawyers...and there isn't a thing I could argue with either.

Every time I have paid for a service in any other business and they were late, a representative for said business has apologized and attempted to make things rights offering a discount, future discount or something until I was satisfied which usually continues the business relationship as they were accountable.

But PSA...like Adam said, instead of working on the backlog they are just accepting more work. They cannot perform the function that people are paying for and know it but just act like its not their problem. I bet if everyone stopped sending in submissions for a month it would get their attention. I guess I just winder why anyone tolerates this? Their "standards" change and standards shouldn't change...that's why they are standards. They just grade vintage like shit compared to SGC who has their own problems. Us consumers do have a voice and every time you submit to them to use your voice and vote. We are smart enough as a community to fix this...PSA sucks.

S Suckow
Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

It's almost unfathomable that this is a public company. They really do need a high profile black eye to wake them up. I can't imagine their board members are aware of the garbage that is going on over there. Can you imagine if Boeing told their shareholders, "we can't get these plane orders fulfilled because we're really just getting slammed with so many orders." Heads would roll.

But CLCT just continues to take money in that they don't earn with the promise to deliver cards in approximately x number of days -- and rarely if ever delivers. And now they're accepting packages but not logging them in as accepted orders to start the clock on their promised time for grading, just to buy themselves more time. I'm telling you, a class action would be a slam dunk.

Last edited by calvindog; 02-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

All of you guys are saying and asking questions and they all have one answer. MONEY

Why do collectors put up with it? MONEY (they feel they get more by using them)

Why does PSA keep doing it? MONEY (see top answer as to why)

It really is a circular question with the same answer each time. Ethics aside , I actually don't blame them. This is a capitalist society and as long as they can do it and not get ensnared legally for doing it, why not?

Just playing a bit of devil's advocate here. BTW, I think we do have a lawyer or two on the board who have some experience in class action suits.

Last edited by Leon; 02-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Al Richter

Not to worry. They are aware of the problem and working on it

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...d-times#latest
Old 02-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Not to worry. They are aware of the problem and working on it

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...d-times#latest
Well, the discussion (?) has been closed after Joe's reassuring message.

In other words, "Shut up and stop complaining?"

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Well, the discussion (?) has been closed after Joe's reassuring message.

In other words, "Shut up and stop complaining?"
A federal class action lawsuit will get their attention and changes will be made. In addition, they will be coughing up all the money they dishonestly took from their customers.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:03 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've been given vouchers for cards that were not given back on a guaranteed service. Estimated is just that. You have to love on their site "if you need them back faster, consider a higher service level"

Old 02-11-2018, 03:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Even though the CLCT dividend has not been this low since 2007 (do we need a bake sale for David Hall?), this company is not going anywhere. Its' market cap is $157 million. The aggregate value of its' registry sets is probably in the billions. If CLCT went under the value of the collectibles in their holders would drop precipitously (I believe). Big dollar registry guys will keep this ship afloat.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Al Richter

Too big to fail ?
Old 02-11-2018, 03:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

More like too painful to registry holders to fail
Old 02-11-2018, 05:08 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

You might wonder how quick they clean this up if customers start charging back their credit card transactions for not providing the services at the stated times?

Banks and credit card processors do not take kindly to massive amounts of chargebacks...
Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
You might wonder how quick they clean this up if customers start charging back their credit card transactions for not providing the services at the stated times?

Banks and credit card processors do not take kindly to massive amounts of chargebacks...
Can this be done? I'm just asking as I have no idea. The card still gets graded but not in the time table they quote...seems like psa failed to live up to their end of the contract. It also seems that lower rates would be applicable at that point requiring a credit to the card. Jeff? Adam?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

They have changed ALL turnaround times to estimated.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:47 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Sounds like PSAs new slogan should be "we'll get your card back to you at some point, and when we do we'll be fairly sure it's authentic and unaltered".

Sounds like a solid offering.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Sounds like PSAs new slogan should be "we'll get your card back to you at some point, and when we do we'll be fairly sure it's authentic and unaltered".

Sounds like a solid offering.
Or PSA/DNA " we'll failed 80% of everything, so keep resubmitting and eventually some will pass"

Old 02-11-2018, 07:48 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Yes that may be so.. however, you are being charged by estimated time/service levels and the argument with your credit card issuer is "they are charging me for 10 day service level, my order did not get processed for 40 days." The card issuer usually agrees with the customer especially with egregious delays such as this...remember its not like they are waiting for parts or supplies from vendors and while PSA may be able to get away with say 11-15 days on a 10 day submittal with a voucher or two to drop it, 40 days I would guess wouldn't fly and you would win, get a credit back and PSA would lose out..

If enough people do that they will change for sure as part of their credit card pricing is based on chargeback ratios... and an increase for that reason will certainly sting...