NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Default Are Older SGC Graded Cards Valued Less?

The title says it all.

For example...the SGC cases with stickers compared to the ones that don't have them.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.

Last edited by wazoo; 12-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:47 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I think SGC labels that do not have the two different numbers on them might be looked at differently. I thought I remember SGC saying at one time their guarantee did not cover those cards without the two grades. I could be wrong so hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I am wrong. Personally, I avoid SGC cards with the single grade on them.

Edit to add: I think SGC cards with the two grades AND a sticker on the back do not carry a lesser value.

Last edited by DeanH3; 12-26-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Hey there Wazoo,

What I Believe/Know and my experience with the 1st year SGC was in Business.

From the Watermarked Front Background Label, to the Gold Label on the Back Era of SGC... Not to mention Names! However, I was told that they had an Employee that somewhat over graded cards.

If You think about it though, Buying the Card and Not the Grade, Surly Clears it All up!

SGC Has Been the Most Honorable Company that I've Ever Done Business with!

My Experience with them, to me ~ "Says it ALL!"

One of my earliest adventures was with "The Golden Label". I purchased a T200 of The NY Nationals. I was told it was an Exceptional SGC60/5. Exactly what I was looking for! I didn't get to see it til it arrived at my doorstep, at the time I trusted the gentleman who had it & sold it to me. When it arrived, I liked the Card, However, It was Not Exceptional as I was led to believe.

So, After a little go around with the seller... Lets just say the card remained in my possession. I read SGC's Site, Contacted them... The end result was that they re~Slabbed it into a SGC40/3 and Refunded me the 1000+ dollars over the then market value at that time!
"I was Shocked!!!"

The Head Grader told me that SGC was in the process of making things Right...

I don't know what else to Say... I know that I could of been satisfied with the Card in the 1st place... After SGC asked me to send them a scan... They told me of their intention's... I just followed their advice from that moment on!

Their Counsel & Outcome... Was far from what I had ever imagined!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Waz- Based upon my experience, I actually think SGC was extremely strict in their grading during their initial years. I do not think there is a difference in value, not at all. Furthermore, if you try to review and bump and old SGC graded card, worst scenario is they would encapsulate it with a new holder if it did not bump...
Old 12-26-2013, 05:52 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Waz,

Different experiences I guess. I find the early grades back when I think Derek was around were a bit more forgiving. Under Scott I think they are a bit tougher especially on cards EXMT or better. On the VG-VGEX they have been pretty stable.

P.S. Waz, Meow.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Which old label are we talking about, there are two. One from before Waz was born probably LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (32.4 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (15.9 KB, 382 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Waz- Based upon my experience, I actually think SGC was extremely strict in their grading during their initial years. I do not think there is a difference in value, not at all. Furthermore, if you try to review and bump and old SGC graded card, worst scenario is they would encapsulate it with a new holder if it did not bump...
Now on BST, I wonder who might be trying to sell an expensive T206 Cy Young in an old SGC holder?

Waz, ignore Kevin's post. He's wrong, and he knows better. Dean's post is accurate.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:04 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGold View Post
Now on BST, I wonder who might be trying to sell an expensive T206 Cy Young in an old SGC holder?

Waz, ignore Kevin's post. He's wrong, and he knows better. Dean's post is accurate.
Hmmm. Funny you say that Ron, because I just recently crossed an older graded SGC 86 to an 88 holder. Maybe that was an isolated example Also, are you saying an older graded card won't cross to a new holder??

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Hmmm. Funny you say that Ron, because I just recently crossed an older graded SGC 86 to an 88 holder. Maybe that was an isolated example
Ron never said that no older graded card would cross. What he and Dean are saying is that in general they are worth less because there is a perception that many of them won't cross to the same grade, if at all. A perception certainly aided by SGC's own non-guarantee.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-26-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

Also, for the record, before all the comments and arrows come flying...The SGC Young I have is a solid 86, Three NM-MT corners with one that is NM. The card is accurately graded in my opinion....thanks

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-26-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Also, for the record, before all the comments and arrows come flying...The SGC Young I have is a solid 86, Three NM-MT corners with one that is NM. The card is accurately graded in my opinion....thanks
Will you guarantee that it crosses to a new holder?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yes, it will cross to a 70, guaranteed...Thanks, and now ladies and gentlemen, HERE comes the witchhunt!!!

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-26-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, it will cross to a 70, guaranteed...Thanks, and now ladies and gentlemen, HERE comes the witchhunt!!!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Peter- I'm sorry for the sarcasm. Yes, I will guarantee the card crossing to at least an 86 holder. Sorry again....Thanks

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-26-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter- I'm sorry for the sarcasm, yes, I will guarantee the card crossing to at least an 86 holder....Thanks
Cool, good to see you stand behind it.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Ronald Goldberg

I have probably submitted more cards for crossover to SGC than anyone on this board. I have been successful in crossing cards from old holders. However, the SGC guarantee does not apply to cards in old holders.

When you submit a card in an old SGC holder, it will be treated like a card that has been graded by another company. While SGC does not guarantee cards in old holders, they may, on rare occasions, buy the card back or reholder it at a lower grade and pay the difference. However, that is because they do not want a badly misgraded card floating around.

Now Kevin knows all this already. I would not normally comment on a card that someone is selling in the BST section. However, Kevin constantly uses the main forum to advance his agenda in the BST.

Because cards in old SGC holders do not carry the guarantee, they sell for less. Because they sell for less, it is assumed by savvy buyers that the seller has already tried to cross the card to a new holder. Or, in Kevin's case, since PSA cards sell for so much more, it is assumed he tried to cross the Cy Young into a PSA holder. Why wouldn't he?

Last edited by RGold; 12-26-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I am buying or obtaining a card I generally look at the card more than I do the age of the holder. Now, if a card is in a high grade GAI holder, then I run the other way (some might be good, a lot aren't). But for SGC or PSA, old or new holders aren't a big deal to me. I have crossed one card I remember, an N284 SGC 92 King Kelly. It crossed from a very old SGC holder to a new one with the same number. That was maybe 5-6 yrs ago....
Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
I have probably submitted more cards for crossover to SGC than anyone on this board. I have been successful in crossing cards from old holders. However, the SGC guarantee does not apply to cards in old holders.

When you submit a card in an old SGC holder, it will be treated like a card that has been graded by another company. While SGC does not guarantee cards in old holders, they may, on rare occasions, buy the card back or reholder it at a lower grade and pay the difference. However, that is because they do not want a badly misgraded card floating around.

Now Kevin knows all this already. I would not normally comment on a card that someone is selling in the BST section. However, Kevin constantly uses the main forum to advance his agenda in the BST.

Because cards in old SGC holders do not carry the guarantee, they sell for less. Because they sell for less, it is assumed by savvy buyers that the seller has already tried to cross the card to a new holder. Or, in Kevin's case, since PSA cards sell for so much more, it is assumed he tried to cross the Cy Young into a PSA holder. Why wouldn't he?
Ron, I too have crossed lots of cards from PSA to SGC and older SGC holders also. I agree with you 100%.

As for commenting on other members cards mainly in terms of picking apart their grades I think it’s a weak thing to do so I avoid.

However since Kevin asked directly about his Young card while it’s a real beauty I don’t think that card would become an 86 today based upon the scans provided on the BST. I think it would be more in the 82-84 at best range based on my experience with SGC which is now well over 2k graded SGC cards.

Not a shot at Kevin because the card is very nice I’d love to own it. I too am shocked Kevin hasn't moved this to a PSA holder he has made a big point of saying money for cards is left on the table unless they are in PSA holders....

Last edited by wonkaticket; 12-27-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i had a "SG" t206 speaker 60 that came back trimmed many years ago, so yes personally i treat them the same as GAI holder...and i'd rather buy a raw card than a GAI card.

derek's gold sticker SGC grades are the toughest!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i had a "SG" t206 speaker 60 that came back trimmed many years ago, so yes personally i treat them the same as GAI holder...and i'd rather buy a raw card than a GAI card.

derek's gold sticker SGC grades are the toughest!

Never much love for GAI cards I have plenty of really beautiful caramel cards graded in GAI holders from back in the day when GAI was just as strict as SGC. Granted that time has long passed but there was a time when GAI graded cards were very credible.
P.S. I haven't had a card graded by GAI now in 6-7 years....
Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

agreed tbob, if i'm buying GAI the safest ones would be the "First Graded" labels. you can be certain those were the earliest GAI stuff.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Never much love for GAI cards I have plenty of really beautiful caramel cards graded in GAI holders from back in the day when GAI was just as strict as SGC. Granted that time has long passed but there was a time when GAI graded cards were very credible.
P.S. I haven't had a card graded by GAI now in 6-7 years....
The problem with buying GAI is that while there is a very new generation holder that should be avoided at all costs in my opinion, I don't know of any way to tell the difference between the early cards that Bob mentions which I agree were quite legit and cards from a few years later with the same holder and flip where the company clearly had started to make compromises.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 PM
qu@n nguy3n

1st gen GAI can also be iffy because alot of their business came from the $2.50 pre-grade at shows where they looked at the card under a yellow lamp for 10-15sec and assign a grade to it (if you like the grade it costs an additional $5-$10 for slabbing back at their HQ). i suspect lots of altered stuff passed through this way.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

Ron- not really sure where this discontentment is coming from. First of all, when have I used the main forum to promote a card? My Young card was submitted on this thread without my knowledge, by another member... I have bought many SGC cards from you (mostly overgraded by the way). Bottomline, I don't give a damn whether someone buys the Young or not, absolutely could care less. But, having said that, I will take bets on whether or not it crosses to a new 86 holder...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-27-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Thanks for all the information everyone, and the entertainment as well.

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Thanks for all the information everyone, and the entertainment as well.
Wazoo- You may just be a kid, but you definitely know how to stir the pot...You should fit right in...
Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Hahahah, hey it was just a question!

Last edited by wazoo; 12-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:03 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Yeah Waz, way to "bump" the thread.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
Kevin-

A nice young man asked a question, and your three sentence response had three false statements. In fact, your response was the exact opposite of what is well known by most everyone in the hobby.

1. It is known throughout the hobby that the earliest graded SGC cards, graded by Joe Merkel and in the old "SG" holders, were overgraded by today's standards.

2. There is a difference in value. Cards in old SGC holders regularly sell for less because it is known throughout the hobby that SGC does not extend its guarantee to these cards.

3. If you want to switch a card that is in an old holder into a new holder, SGC will treat that as a crossover like it would a card from another grading company. They will not "worst scenario" just encapsulate the card into a new holder at the same grade or better.

So yes, I was, as you put it, discontent with your response. Pissed, in fact, that you couldn't give a straight and honest answer.

By the way, thank you so much for buying my many overgraded cards. I know you have a keen eye, so I appreciate that you were so kind to buy such horrible cards just to help me out. And to think, even though the cards were so overgraded, you just kept right on buying them. What a guy!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:27 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
By the way, thank you so much for buying my many overgraded cards. I know you have a keen eye, so I appreciate that you were so kind to buy such horrible cards just to help me out. And to think, even though the cards were so overgraded, you just kept right on buying them. What a guy!
LMAO! Now that's funny.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
LMAO! Now that's funny.
Agreed
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.