NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2023, 12:12 PM
Richard

Default Auction House or Ebay Consignment?

Need the help of some more regular consigners, please, since I have not used either of the following options for at least a decade, so unsure of current prices, etc.
I am about to receive back from SGC the following cards:

N162 Cap Anson - it's a beater, but graded SGC Authentic
T213 Coupon Cigs common player (Bridwell) SGC 3
E90-1 American Caramel Chief Bender SGC 1.5

Would you all recommend consigning via Ebay (I'm thinking about consigning with Probstein for the 1st time) or going the auction house route, such as LOTG or something else?
Please give me advice, thank you,
Richard
Old 12-15-2023, 12:44 PM
Val Kehl

Richard, if these were my cards, my first choice would be Sterling Auctions. My distant second choice would be to list them myself on eBay. Hope this is helpful.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Seem like good BST no fee material.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:50 AM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This of course is what I would prefer, but I honestly just can't find that many (if any) comps for these cards. The E90 Bender, yes, I can come up with a price for that one, but I simply don't know how to price the other 2 in today's market.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Phil Garry

I would go with AH for Anson and sell the other two yourself on either Net54 BST or eBay. If you want help coming up with a value estimate, check VCP or send me a PM and I’ll try to help you.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:24 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampertb View Post
This of course is what I would prefer, but I honestly just can't find that many (if any) comps for these cards. The E90 Bender, yes, I can come up with a price for that one, but I simply don't know how to price the other 2 in today's market.
Many list items for sale here without a price and the note "listening to offers"
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-18-2023, 10:36 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampertb View Post
Need the help of some more regular consigners, please, since I have not used either of the following options for at least a decade, so unsure of current prices, etc.
I am about to receive back from SGC the following cards:

N162 Cap Anson - it's a beater, but graded SGC Authentic
T213 Coupon Cigs common player (Bridwell) SGC 3
E90-1 American Caramel Chief Bender SGC 1.5

Would you all recommend consigning via Ebay (I'm thinking about consigning with Probstein for the 1st time) or going the auction house route, such as LOTG or something else?
Please give me advice, thank you,
Richard
I agree that BST is a good avenue, especially with Bridwell and Bender as these are not cards you want to be taking a fee from as they are not big (relatively) sales.

There's a clean comp for Bender that is recent so expectation would be 150 or less.

Bridwell has a Deans listing so that's not even worth considering. I would guess depending on looks maybe about 300ish in the current environment more or less. Maybe start higher and lower every 4 days until it goes.

Anson is a bit different as it's a card of wide interest. You could still do the BST and work down, you have Lee (Sterling) for a good auction format, or eBay may be a logical option as that is a card in lower condition that many vintage mid-range collectors may be interested in to affordably fill the spot. The sale price could very greatly on a given day, the most eyes will bring in that level of collector strongly.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:45 PM

I would also recommend BST for sure.

For a neighbor’s family I just facilitated nearly 20 vintage SGC graded card sales through BST and sold 1 on eBay-kicking myself for not offering that one here on Net54 as would have avoided the fees and gone into our community.

Best of luck.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:36 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
I would also recommend BST for sure.

For a neighbor’s family I just facilitated nearly 20 vintage SGC graded card sales through BST and sold 1 on eBay-kicking myself for not offering that one here on Net54 as would have avoided the fees and gone into our community.

Best of luck.
Don't get me wrong, I like buying and selling on B/S/T as well, but as a seller, do you really "avoid the fees"? Because there always seems to be an expectation from the buyers that they should be able to get things at comps less any fees you otherwise would have paid. I never see people getting full comps for cards on places like the B/S/T or Instagram, Facebook, etc.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like buying and selling on B/S/T as well, but as a seller, do you really "avoid the fees"? Because there always seems to be an expectation from the buyers that they should be able to get things at comps less any fees you otherwise would have paid. I never see people getting full comps for cards on places like the B/S/T or Instagram, Facebook, etc.
This can happen to a BST seller, however it depends on the negotiation. In my use case, I sold approx 20 cards (relative low grade and plentiful POPs) and exceeded $100 more than their collective average trending gross price on eBay, even factoring in shipping. Thus, saved nearly $500 in eBay fees for the family I was selling on behalf of.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
You make a good point, Travis. As buyers, when we know that we are saving the seller some fees, then often we want all or part of that benefit to inure to us in the form of a discount on the price.

At the same time, it’s common for both buyer and seller to be happy. Often the seller will come down on their price when we are offline, but probably still net more than they would have if the deal stayed online but with another buyer.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 12-19-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:50 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Is it really a full comp if the seller is getting a minimum 20% less? I consider a comp the actual money received for said item to the seller as an expectation for myself if selling.

When selling on the B/S/T I can sell at a 10% discount over eBay comps and still make a minimum 10% more than the same seller by avoiding eBay or consignment fees. Auction format differs depending on auction house, but the seller does not receive the juice so they are still doing better on true sales price.

A discounted sales price still equates to a higher sales price in essence to a seller.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:33 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Is it really a full comp if the seller is getting a minimum 20% less? I consider a comp the actual money received for said item to the seller as an expectation for myself if selling.

When selling on the B/S/T I can sell at a 10% discount over eBay comps and still make a minimum 10% more than the same seller by avoiding eBay or consignment fees. Auction format differs depending on auction house, but the seller does not receive the juice so they are still doing better on true sales price.

A discounted sales price still equates to a higher sales price in essence to a seller.
Where is anyone paying 20% in fees for anything? I have sold thousands of cards through just about every avenue available. I have never once paid anything remotely close to 20% in fees.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:10 PM
Richard

Default Anson

Here is the beater, but Authentic, Anson in question if that helps.
I am assuming that an Ebay consignor like Probstein will net the highest price, per advice above...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0408.jpg (209.3 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0407.jpg (192.6 KB, 271 views)
Old 12-20-2023, 05:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Where is anyone paying 20% in fees for anything? I have sold thousands of cards through just about every avenue available. I have never once paid anything remotely close to 20% in fees.
Well Goldin’s buyer fees are in excess of that and something selling at this level would likely incur sellers fees as well. It’s an extreme example but would a comp that shows at 22% buyer fees and 10% seller fee under 2500.00 be reasonable to match? Even eBay is less, but still fees on listing, sales tax, and possibly the buying method.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:30 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Most auctions charge 20% for the bidder premium. But maybe you don’t count that in the fees you pay as the seller?

Or do you just always negotiate to get a piece of the BP as the consignor?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 12-20-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:23 AM
Richard

Default Anson now on Ebay

This Anson is now listed on Ebay, item # 375377168213
Old 04-18-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This.
Set a reasonable opening bid, stipulate for 10 days and list them on Thursday.
I think you'd do quite well.
RayB