NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting AOL article on Sports Memorabilia

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Saw this article on AOL tonight:

AOL News - Fans Stop at Nothing to Get a Slice of Sports History

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20040405130809990003>

Old 08-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Link didn't work.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

Somehow I had a feeling the link would'nt come out right! :P

Fans Stop at Nothing to Get a Slice of Sports History
LeBron, Jordan Are Focus of Latest eBay Craze

By JIM ARMSTRONG, AOL Exclusive

A friend of mine, formerly of sound mind and body, spends most of his time searching for sports collectibles on eBay. Basically, he bids on anything that has anything to do with his beloved Celtics, Red Sox or Bruins. Too bad Bobby Orr, the greatest defenseman of them all, didn't save some of his knee ligaments. My buddy would have been all over those babies.

AP
What do you figure LeBron's towel is worth?

Then came the phone call to end all phone calls. My friend had bought a car. On eBay. No really, I'm not making this up. He figured he saved four or five hundred bucks compared to what he would have paid at a car lot or through a classified ad in The Denver Post.* (*--shameless, unnecessary plug for my full-time employer)

He then proceeded to buy a one-way ticket to Tulsa to pick up his new sled. Of course, he had to burn two vacation days so he could drive it back to Denver. And, of course, he had to get a hotel room on the road because, after flying to Oklahoma, he was too tired to do an all-nighter.

I didn't have the heart to ask him what a one-way ticket to Tulsa and a room at the Motel 6 in West Rumproast, Kan. cost. Nor did I mention that gas is more expensive than filet mignon. What, you thought I was going to tell him he could have spent those two vacation days taking his kids to the zoo instead of seeing the bright lights of Oklahoma? Not me.

I told him what any friend would tell a friend. I told him I thought he got a great deal. It wasn't until I got home that night that I told my wife we had to stop socializing with idiots.

I'm only telling you this because the profs at taxidermy school told me never to begin a column with a confession. But since I'm going to have to tell you sooner or later, I might as well do it now. See, I've never been on eBay. In fact, I'm not sure if it's eBay or ebay or Ebay. I could look it up, I suppose, but copy editors have families to feed, too.

I know, I know, you're thinking I'm some kind of weirdo because I've never spent half a vacation scrolling down the laundry list of sports collectibles that eBay(?) has to offer. Go ahead, call me a dinosaur. I've been called worse, you know. Truth is, I think this whole ebay(?) sports-collecting craze is a silly waste of time.

Now that I'm on a roll, I've got another confession to make. It's not that I've never been on Ebay(?) I hadn't been on it, but my editor at AOL told me I had to check it out before I wrote this column. So, intrepid reporter that I am, I dialed it up. Frankly, you're better off going to those Websites with the dirty pictures.

Broadband Only
Video: Roy Firestone Talks With Mike Tyson

Why do people do it? Why do they sit there for hours on end and bid on junk? Did I say junk? Some of this stuff is an insult to junk. They couldn't pay me to take it off their hands.

One random glance produced three listings of ''game-used'' equipment worn by some football player named Zack Crockett. Among the items were a football, a pair of gloves and a headband. Now if old Zack's jock strap had been in there, we could have talked. We're talking a piece of Americana there, bubba. I'm assuming, since it wasn't on the list, somebody went ahead and sent it straight to the Smithsonian.

Among the other listings was one for Carmelo Anthony ''memorabilia.'' The kid is 20. He's still on his first disposable razor. How can he qualify for memorabilia?

Apparently, there are nuts out there who'll collect anything at any cost. One anonymous buyer recently paid $150,100 for a basketball card featuring LeBron James and Michael Jordan. Hey, if I paid 150 grand for a basketball card, I wouldn't want anybody to know who I was, either. They might try to sell me some oceanfront property in Wyoming.

The ebay(?) scrapheap goes on and on. One hockey card opened at $0.99, but had skyrocketed to $1.04 by the time I saw it. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got Jeff Nelson's bone chips. Nelson, a Major League reliever of considerable note, had his elbow operated on two years ago and decided to put the bone chips on Ebay(?) for laughs.

AOL Sports:180
Three minutes, twice daily. Get the latest news, highlights from around the sports world.

Watch It Now!

So what happened? To paraphrase Mark Twain, never underestimate the intelligence of the American people when they're sitting in front of a laptop. The bidding had reached $23,600 when eBay officials stepped in and ended the charade. According to the statement issued by the company, eBay(?) ''has a portion of its listing guidelines which covers human parts and remains.''

Whew! For a minute there, I thought we might be seeing Ted Williams' head listed. Don't laugh. Ty Cobb's wooden dentures were listed a few years ago. Brett Favre's Porsche was on the market for 46 grand earlier this year. Then there's the biggest waste of money since the L.A. District Attorney's office tried to prosecute O.J.

A couple of years ago, some Ebay(?) aficionado paid $10,000 for a piece of gum that Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Luis Gonzalez had chewed and spit out. Ten grand for a used piece of chewing gum?

Maybe my buddy didn't get such a bad deal after all.